Play Nice Adam Goodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This bloke has lost the plot still chasing that Winmar moment
I get that same feeling.

He will be remembered, regardless.

If he really is just looking for his big moment that will leave his mark on the game then he's unfortunately jumped the shark.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of course there are a number of fans who have booed him for that kind of thing. But to say a much, much larger number just really amazingly coincidentally decided to start booing him en masse immediately after he did what he did two years ago is a bit of a stretch.

I think the staging and free kicks and umpire/afl pet thing was the reason why Goodes had become out of favour on field. Got booing etc. Calling out a little girl for calling him a name definitely polarised him for the entire country.

I think that logical thinkers can separate their left thinking from Goodes' actions. He is clearly inviting/inciting the divisions that exist between him and his detractors and calling it a racial thing. He is a professional victim more and more each year. This feeds into his politic ambition. Keep the spotlight. Keep the spotlight. The thing is, most people hate that kind of behaviour.

So his detractors now boo him over TWO facets of his actions and character. Race does not factor into this assessment of him. I can't see anyone else calling him a flog also calling Nicky Winmar or David Wirrpunda etc flogs too for speaking out.

Andrew McLeod is a massive advocate for his people, speaks out about important issues frequently, does a huge amount of positive work without seeking fanfare as a result. He's extremely proud of his heritage.

How often was he booed as a player???

How is he viewed now??

Exactly. When you can point to an indigenous player who never got any flak for his beliefs because of how he acted -- You really can start to see that the Adam Goodes thing is almost exclusively about him and not his skin colour.

Except he has been booed en masse before that incident, it just happens that one particular occasion coincided with the indigenous round and has been jumped on by the media. Goodes copped a massive amount of boos against Hawthorn two weeks before the Collingwood game because almost broke Josh Gibson's legs by leading with his legs. The media even reported on it and the boos and called out Goodes for playing soft football.

But nah, every single incident just has to be about his race.

Naysayer extreme leftists don't care about evidence such as this. They must stick to the social justice message. Any hint of indigenous negativity, even just of one inidividual = entirely racist. You don't like Adam Goodes??? Wow, you are a racist or what?

McLeod uses his profile to focus attention on the issues. Goodes uses the issues to focus attention on his profile.

Amazing comment! I agree completely.

So anyone who doesn't agree with what Goodes says or does is a racist in your opinion? Congratulations you're a complete and utter farking moron.

Its amazing how true the Goodes apologist brigade thinks this is. Just pivot to race card when losing support for the messenger. Message too important. Must back golden boy. Must keep going. Must.

Disappointing thread. Still much education needed.

You are right. The blind following and advocacy of Adam Goodes and his every action never questioned does prompt me to think those people need educating. If I was indigenous I'd be embarrassed that he is the #1 icon of today. I'd want to make a petition to install Nicky Winmar in his place. Could trust that powerful honest person. Although I wouldn't say all that or else be accused of being against my own people by SJW's.

I don't want to sound rude...but duh.

My point is this fantasy that "none of that stuff happens here anymore" is nonsense. It is everywhere. [race vilification]

Prove it is everywhere? You want proof of the booing of Goodes not being racial. You've received and ignored the evidence. Pictures of incidents well before his 'stance'. Opinions aplenty stating the reasons booing would take place as any other player disliked!

Now you prove that racism is EVERYWHERE. Go

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
But shouldn't the ultimate goal be about Reconciliation? One fears what they don't know or understand, so by educating them it removes the fear and helps develop a better understanding. I imagine that ndigenous Round is trying to be more about that than the negative side of this issue.
When you say "educating them", who are out referring to?

I think it's white folks that are in most need of education on this matter, personally.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I predict 300 pages over the next week and no Hawthorn fans left on the main board ;)

I think recent media coverage of the booing combined with it being indigenous round mostly contributed to his celebration tonight, not particularly offensive but the moment got to him and it's something I don't think he would do again in the same situation. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it wasn't premeditated.

Hey, im a hawk, I bood last week, quite liked his celebration which I thought he did with great humour

Why does everyond have to fit in neat boxes, isnt that what this is all about, tolerance ?

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks Seattle Mariners
Goodes needs to realise he is being booed for a reason and it has nothing to do with his skin. His sniping, whinging to umpires and generally carrying on is why people boo him.
But yesterday took it to a new level - if he did his 'dance' to the section of the crowd full of Swans fans, it would be different. But still, it screams 'look at me' and doesn't help any sort of message he is trying to send. All the other Aboriginal players in our game don't need to carry on like that.

Good luck Adam - every ground outside Sydney the boos will only get louder.

I have no problem whatsoever with his celebration. I just have a huge problem with the amount of people who think he should be immune from any criticism because he's Aboriginal, or that anyone who is critical of him in any way must be racist. It is a completely absurd mindset.

For as long as I can remember, I have always considered Adam Goodes to be a self-important flog, and that's fine. I don't have to like him. There are plenty of players in the league I don't like. That doesn't make me racist.

I have no doubt there are plenty of racist moron's in Australia who are jumping on the "Boo Goodes" bandwagon because they are racist, but the suggestion that anyone who boos him or is critical of him must be racist is, again, absurd.

I hate to label people as SJW's, but I feel there are so many people who fit that category to a T who froth at the mouth whenever they get an opportunity to jump up on their moral high horse and spew nonsense about a topic they have no idea about on social media, and plenty of those types of people are on board with this issue, twisting things around to fit their desired narrative. The parasites in the media like that fat, drunk mess Robbo who fuel the flames are largely to blame, too.

There are probably 20+ elite players that get booed every single week. If one of them came out in the media and asked for people to stop booing them they would be laughed at, and would have twice as many people booing them for the foreseeable future. If an Aboriginal player is booed, though? Well, everyone must be racist. No exceptions.
Did goodes actually come out and comment on it himself? I think he has only commented on it when he has been asked about it. I see this whole booing thing as being brought up more in the media than anything. So a bit tough on goodes there i think.

With re to his dance, i loved it. Thought it was cool. Nothing wrong with a bit of celebration. Getting fired up. Another media build up and something for them to write about all week.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Yes, but Winmar was reacting spontaneously to hundreds of spitting frothing feral Magpie fans hurling racist obscenities at him
What did Goodes do again? A premeditated "spear throwing" dance to people who booed him for being a flog.:D

Slight difference.

Yeah, but both could have been considered "aggressive" actions towards a crowd (the former being in front of a crowd that was hostile and actually "angry" at the player already), yet one was lauded for his bravery and courage in standing up for his race/skin colour/nationality in the face of abuse, and the other is being derided as some kind of terrible person for simply making a celebratory nod to his Aboriginal heritage during the league's Indigenous Round. You'd think considering it wasn't done in a "heated" situation like Victoria Park circa 1993, that the Goodes dance wouldn't cop nearly as much attention and backlash.

Yes, the circumstances and motives are different, but you could kind of understand (although it still wouldn't be right at all) if Winmar had copped negative criticism for what he did (although he rightly never did), but the reaction to Goodes' actions seem bizarrely extreme in its negativity.

If people genuinely found the gesture so "meaningless" from Goodes ("chasing his Winmar moment", as an above poster described), and not truly representative of "his people" (didn't grow up in a traditional community, isn't from the same area as the venue etc.), then why care so much? Dismiss it and move on. Why take such disproportionate offense to something that you feel labels him as a "flog"? Just dismiss him a "flog" if that's how you feel, and move on. No need to ruminate over it endlessly to "justify" your reasons.

I'd like to hear/see some comment on the event in the coming days from some actual Aboriginal people and community leaders, too, to see how they feel about it, good, bad or otherwise.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Goodes needs to realise he is being booed for a reason and it has nothing to do with his skin. His sniping, whinging to umpires and generally carrying on is why people boo him.

There are probably 20+ elite players that get booed every single week. If one of them came out in the media and asked for people to stop booing them they would be laughed at, and would have twice as many people booing them for the foreseeable future. If an Aboriginal player is booed, though? Well, everyone must be racist. No exceptions.

It's because the level of booing and general negativity is far disproportionate to the level of "sniping" and "whinging" coming from Goodes, and despite what some claim, it was never a consistent, open thing before the 2013 MCG incident. It all comes across as strangely coincidental that people are suddenly booing him in unison over some on-field actions that dozens of players across the league take and make every week, and comes across as incredibly petty if it all supposedly relates to "sliding" incidents from two-three years ago (again, get over it already).

There are many far greater on-field "villains" in the game currently than Goodes, who cop little to no heat for it by comparison from crowds around the country. Why?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!

Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
Floggish behaviour from Goodes.

I genuinely don't see the need for the Haka in world sport, so having a lone player break out into his own version mid-game doesn't sit well with me.

It's an aggressive, threatening and inciteful action, by design. Just like the Haka.

Players are fined if they aggressively gesture at a member of the crowd, they are penalized if they talk or act demonstratively towards an umpire, but now you can commit a war cry while charging towards a group of opposition supporters and it's ok?

I don't think we need it in sport at all.

The sad part is, indigenous round should be about celebration and building relationships, yet instead it's going to be one over the top action that has ultimately been seen as another "look at me, I've got something important to say" gesture from a guy who people genuinely seem to struggle to warm to.

Perhaps it would've been better coming from someone else.
Characters. So many people lament the demise of characters from the game. All games. RL as well. Im not great fan of Goodes, don't get me wrong, grown men generally ignore 13yo girls, but at some point if we want characters in our sports, we must forgive players when they display some.

A few days ago on 'The Bounce' they were talking about an AFL player that can do somersaults in his lounge room. They said wouldn't it be good if someone in the AFL did that as a goal celebration. Well a couple of blokes did in the NRL. Anthony Mundine, and Nathan Blacklock would do them side by side on the run, and an Aboriginal war dance to top it off! Both players are gone, but that was great theatre.

Give Goodes a break. I don't mind it. It is Indigenous round after all.

At 1 minute..

Last edited:

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
Now you prove that racism is EVERYWHERE. Go

At least a quarter of Australians have been victims of racial prejudice. On the other side, one in eight Australians openly admit to being "prejudiced against other cultures", and about one in ten disagree with the statement that "all races are equal". That's about 3 million unreconstructed racists in Australia, not including the racists who are smarter than to admit to complete strangers that they believe in racial superiority and in being prejudiced:

http://www.uws.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/173635/NationalLevelFindingsV1.pdf

And these people are more or less evenly distributed across the states:

http://www.uws.edu.au/__data/assets...State_level_comparison_for_4Rs_conference.pdf

Would you feel particularly comfortable living in a place where at least one in ten people think you are inferior on the basis of your skin-colour?

Tom Kerrigan

Cancelled
Oct 10, 2014
United Kingdom
AFL Club
West Coast
Did Goodes doing an indigenous war dance goal celebration in indigenous round really ruin the ENTIRE game THAT much? Who cares if he does it, it's a great way to promote an indigenous message for the round, just like pointing out that 13 year old girl was a great way to promote a no-tolerance policy towards racism and spread the message - whether you think it makes him look like a bit of a dick or not (which I don't) it is unarguably achieving the purpose of drawing headlines/awareness for an Aboriginal AFL moment.

On the flip side, in no way is it undoubtedly racist that he gets booed (maybe in poor taste considering the round). White players get booed all the time for a number of reasons - in Goodes' case it's probably because he used to be a dominant player and now isn't anywhere near as good as he used to be (him being such a symbol over the years for the club, showing weaknesses on the field makes him vulnerable to booing which happens to a lot of players), and also that since he's lost a bit of his pace etc he's become a bit divey and played for too many free kicks, I don't like the diving personally but again it's not a playing trait mutually exclusive to Adam Goodes or indigenous players.

I just don't think this should be such a big issue overall myself, a unique celebration to liven up a flat game against an even flatter team is not detrimental to the AFL in any way. I liked it and I like Goodes, but even if you don't it should not be the drama that it is - can we stop bashing on Adam Goodes and go back to bashing on the list, ex-coach, management and future of the team he was playing against please?

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Coney Island, GWS, The Exers!
You don't have to convince me or anyone else that he's a scumbag, but so what? No rebuttal to any of the points he makes?

Quite simply, he glossys over the reference to his own previous article, where did this all start?

A) being Australian of the year and using it as a platform to speak about thing important to him (newsflash to bolt and his ilk thats the entire point of the AOTY award, you pick people who can bring to light areas that need to be discussed see this years Australian of the year and many, many others, In fact the only time its not used as a "soapbox" is when its wasted by nobs use it to fund private endeavours)

B) pointing out a racist in the crowd, which it turned out was teenager.

don't give me this sliding crap because he wasn't boo'd like this before these two incidents despite the sliding and all that occurring prior to that. The only events that occurred in anytime frame of the booing, are the two i mentioned. The fact is these two events have a theme, a black bloke speaking out against racism.

To suggest that the primary reason for the booing is not connected to these two events is pure bullshit.
Sure there's other reasons that contribute to the booing, one of them being that it gets too him. But these other reasons were not the catalyst for this crap. It started when goodes spoke out.

You ask why Cyril, Buddy, Betts and Jetta aren't targeted, The answer is because they are not outspoken indigenous spokespersons. Goodes isn't boo'd because he's black, He's boo'd because those who boo him see him as black fella that doesn't know his place.

and seeing as the article brings up the hawks, If hawthorn supporters were so against "dog" players why are half of the their hero's sniping campaigners? and why do they jerk off over a match where they abandoned any chance of winning for the opportunity to belt blokes in the back of head and target players off the ball?

The fact is the only thing that separates goodes from the current crop of indigenous players is he had the audacity to speak out about racial issues. What is that saying about being seen and not heard?

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE

I genuinely don't see the need for the Haka in world sport, so having a lone player break out into his own version mid-game doesn't sit well with me.

It's an aggressive, threatening and inciteful action, by design. Just like the Haka.

Players are fined if they aggressively gesture at a member of the crowd, they are penalized if they talk or act demonstratively towards an umpire, but now you can commit a war cry while charging towards a group of opposition supporters and it's ok?

The sad part is, indigenous round should be about celebration and building relationships, yet instead it's going to be one over the top action that has ultimately been seen as another "look at me, I've got something important to say" gesture from a guy who people genuinely seem to struggle to warm to.

Half the people on this thread are defending their right to give it to Goodes, while at the same time denying him the right of reply. "Boo-hoo. I copped 10 seconds worth of abuse." Try copping that for a whole ******* life because you are black.

I don't care if fans boo players. I'm a West Coast supporter! For me it's a bit of theatre. If, as a fan, you get wound up by players giving it back to you, then you are too precious by half. As long as both sides keep it decent, then anything goes. And provocative? The 'shush' is provocative. If the fans can't hack it, don't dish it out.

I posted a pic of Micky O getting in the faces of some WC fans - some of whom are disabled - but nothing was said and it was all a bit of a laugh.

People might not like Goodes. or think he's a flog or whatever, but it seems pretty clear to me that the booing increased markedly since the pointing incident. Plenty of players get booed after they do something during a game, but not many cop it every time they touch the ball from start to finish.

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
If it was a touchdown celebration in the US you'd probably think it was cool and saying "good on him"

In the traditions of quality Aust journalism i shall now await the inevitable conspiracy theories. It may have been orchestrated by the AFL to highlight Indigenous Round. Goodes did it to enhance his political ambitions. Was he looking for a job at Carlton by offering himself as a media diversion. Was he highlighting his skin colour or causing division...dont miss our in depth analysis at 6pm.

If he did the soccer thing and ripped off his jumper, then waved it over his head running around like a headless chook...would you call that racist ? floggish ? normal ?

How anal have we become.

When the All Blacks do their Haka we look upon it as a celebration of their nations heritage....yet we react this negative way to just one bloke during Indigenous Round.

Shame on the lot of you.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
But yesterday took it to a new level - if he did his 'dance' to the section of the crowd full of Swans fans, it would be different. But still, it screams 'look at me' and doesn't help any sort of message he is trying to send. All the other Aboriginal players in our game don't need to carry on like that.

Good luck Adam - every ground outside Sydney the boos will only get louder.

Why would you do a war cry to your own side? Doesnt make much sense.

Apr 30, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
How exactly were carlton fans supposed to know it was some traditional aboriginal dance?

If I was in the crowd it would probably look like someone acting aggressively in my direction.

It reminds me of this news item

An act to incite a group of people disguised as a protest.

http://phoenix.suntimes.com/phx-new...rs-will-host-draw-muhammed-contest-at-phoenix

A group of bikers — who have been encouraged to bring guns — is planning on hosting a Muhammed cartoon drawing contest outside of a Phoenix mosque.

no orange peeler

Cancelled
Jan 21, 2007
livin the dream
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Yankees tottenham hotspur ny giants
Massive over reaction by everyone. Good on the bloke for being passionate about his culture and his people. The war dance part was pretty funny to see on a footy field and if people are up in arms they need to grow up. Yes he is outspoken about something about and i think the fact that it riles people actually gives it more steam.

I found Buddy's way of celebrating Indigenous Round fairly effective............you know, dominating.

Iskender Time

Premiership Player
May 13, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood
How exactly were carlton fans supposed to know it was some traditional aboriginal dance?

If I was in the crowd it would probably look like someone acting aggressively in my direction.

It reminds me of this news item

An act to incite a group of people disguised as a protest.

http://phoenix.suntimes.com/phx-new...rs-will-host-draw-muhammed-contest-at-phoenix

I get why many Muslims are offended by caracatur s of their prophet, but why the rage over a dance at a footy game?

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
If it was a touchdown celebration in the US you'd probably think it was cool and saying "good on him"

In the traditions of quality Aust journalism i shall now await the inevitable conspiracy theories. It may have been orchestrated by the AFL to highlight Indigenous Round. Goodes did it to enhance his political ambitions. Was he looking for a job at Carlton by offering himself as a media diversion. Was he highlighting his skin colour or causing division...dont miss our in depth analysis at 6pm.

If he did the soccer thing and ripped off his jumper, then waved it over his head running around like a headless chook...would you call that racist ? floggish ? normal ?

How anal have we become.

When the All Blacks do their Haka we look upon it as a celebration of their nations heritage....yet we react this way to just one bloke.

I would never boo Adam Goodes but If you believe that this was a simple "touchdown" celebration, then you believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden. It was a well thought out political statement. He has been backpedalling since doing it because he isn't stupid enough to know how divisive this act was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back