Oppo Camp The non North football discussion thread II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble i think people will have with this Goodes dance is that it is perhaps the first time i can recall (correct me) where an Indigenous public Australuan has been agressive in that type of display of body language.

Why some will be unsettled today is that it smashes up the perceived passivity that Indigenous are stereotyped as.

Sure beats the racism that Jim and Phil endured.

Reading the article on the AFL website apparently the Carlton supporters he did it toward were swarmed at half time by security.
And that there was a clash between the blues and swans supporters.

I don't draw any distinction with "passive indigenous people" I just find that the action TOWARD a group of opposition supporters was needlessly provocative.

Had he done it towards the Swans supporters, with a couple of fist pumps at the end to engage the crowd and pump them up, then it wouldn't be as bad or provocative.

He did it to the opposition fans as a big * you for booing me, which is also fine, just prepared to be booed more.

I'd liken it, in terms of flogish behaviour, to the Tredrea bow.

The trouble i think people will have with this Goodes dance is that it is perhaps the first time i can recall (correct me) where an Indigenous public Australuan has been agressive in that type of display of body language.

Why some will be unsettled today is that it smashes up the perceived passivity that Indigenous are stereotyped as.

Yep...And for those of us who can recall the disgraceful racist taunts the Krakouers copped that didn't just stop at 5.00pm on a Saturday arvo but went on 7 days per week, should be mindful that Goodesy is the target of something similar. That's why I'd like to see North fans refrain from booing en masse from the start of a game and appreciate what Adam Goodes has done over a long period of time in a brutal game like the AFL. I think North Melbourne fans are the most enlightened in the game and hopefully we can show the rest of the comp how we can still barrack without disgracing the game & the club... a la Hawthorn.

Yep...And for those of us who can recall the disgraceful racist taunts the Krakouers copped that didn't just stop at 5.00pm on a Saturday arvo but went on 7 days per week, should be mindful that Goodesy is the target of something similar. That's why I'd like to see North fans refrain from booing en masse from the start of a game and appreciate what Adam Goodes has done over a long period of time in a brutal game like the AFL. I think North Melbourne fans are the most enlightened in the game and hopefully we can show the rest of the comp how we can still barrack without disgracing the game & the club... a la Hawthorn.

On the flip side, it's possible to boo someone for non racial motives.

If he acts like a flog I'll certainly boo him.

Skin colour should neither be a target nor a shield.

I'd boo the albino Judd if he did something dickish on field just as quick as I would Goodes.

(Theoretically, I'm not a very vocal person at the footy outside of cheering North Players).

Reading the article on the AFL website apparently the Carlton supporters he did it toward were swarmed at half time by security.

I don't draw any distinction with "passive indigenous people" I just find that the action TOWARD a group of opposition supporters was needlessly provocative.

I deliberately said some.

Working with Indigenous people everyday I would guess today many of them will be walking a step higher...anyway I will ask them Monday.

I'd boo the albino Judd if he did something dickish on field just as quick as I would Goodes.

(Theoretically, I'm not a very vocal person at the footy outside of cheering North Players).

Totally agree...lay a finger and its game on

Someone rang SEN last night that was at the game and in that section of the crowd. She was a Swans supporter and said the supporters that had security around them were drunk from the first bounce and had nothing to do with what Goodes did.
Regardless i know it was Indegenous round and respect that but the way Goodes went Towards the crowd was provocative and could have turned ugly imo....

Fair enough DarkPhoenix.....but let's wait til a player (and not just Goodes) does something warranting our chagrin. Doing it from his very first touch of the sherrin makes us as boorish as those Hawks cretins.
I'm "Liking" all of your posting on this topic scoopar, you should post more....

I thought it was nothing more than a great show of passion from a champion AFL player who was celebrating his heritage during indigenous round. The "media" want to make a story about it, turn it into a racial issue. It is sick.
I don't even see the racial side of what was done.

If boomer did the DX crotch chop to a pies section of the crowd tomorrow I'd be equally annoyed.

I agree the media tries to draw the worst possible link every time, it's beyond frustrating and disgusting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even see the racial side of what was done.

If boomer did the DX crotch chop to a pies section of the crowd tomorrow I'd be equally annoyed.

I agree the media tries to draw the worst possible link every time, it's beyond frustrating and disgusting.

We have an over supply of media trying to earn a crust.

I'm the same, I cheer and clap and groan but rarely boo. I'm not going to boo a guy simply because I don't like him, but if they do something untoward on the field then, well frankly, * them I'll give them a few jeers.

Haha. I'd love it.

But I'd expect the pies supporters to boo him. And not because he's white, but because he is being a flog.

Heroes and Villains like TT said. I think ultimately it's healthy for the game because it adds to the theatre, but some people go too far. Such is life though, Instead of making such a huge deal out of it and crucifying the boo-ers the media should be encouraging other people to cheer for Goodes.

I don't think I've ever yelled a swear word at a player or umpire before (said plenty under my breath though!) simply because I think that's a step too far, but at the same time unless someone is over the line I'm not going to begrudge other people for booing or dropping an F bomb here and there (less lenient when I know there are kids around though, especially if they are supporters of the club being sworn at)

I cheer, I boo and I question the umpires decision in a vocal manor as I have been doing since I started following our great game and I will continue to do so. As for Goodes I personally don't like him as a player nothing to do with his race or religion.

Yeh fair call mate. If he did that war cry dance and directed it towards our members, would that be enough to get you to boo him?

Nup, not personally as I'm usually too engaged in the actual game. I'd more likely be trying to figure out how he got out on his own to mark inside 50 and who's responsible, barely even noticing the theatre post goal until the din of expected booing from that section of crowd drew my attention to it.

"Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry"

Is Goodes being racist towards his white parent by ignoring that part of his heritage?

Who's ever seen him in a kilt ?

Does he drink green Guinness on St Patricks day?

Who's ever heard him speak using Cockney rhyming slang?

When describing himself he could say he's a' merchant banker'.

Just my thought for the day.

:p

Standing pressed up against the fence at Vic Park hearing the worst most racist vociferous calls towards our Krakouer boys from the trilobites occupying the outer in black and white was utterly disgraceful. Thank God we've come a verrrrrrrrrry long way from those backward times.

We've come a long way but we still have a long way to go.

I completely agree with this, but I worry sometimes that in this new age of instant global communication we expect change to happen too quickly. Changing the prejudices and attitudes of people takes time. Trying to rush it is counter-productive in a lot of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back