2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We desperately need Rance. Merrett is getting injured more and more lately. Rance for mine is the clear number 1 defender in the comp. I remember how he sliced us apart last year.... He is worth every bit of 750k. Our young backline would turn to cement with him leading down back.

I have watched him a bit and don't think his form has been particularly great this year notwithstanding that the media have been talking him up a lot. I would certainly have Talia, McDonald and McPhalin ahead of him based on form. McPhalin admittedly is old. I would also prefer Rory Thompson as well if I had to make a choice and maybe McKenzie at WC as well. I think Rance is in the top tier of defenders but I am not seeing him as the standout.

I think the match just gone might explain why we need an experienced key defender.
Why not aim for a mid priced defender? Rivers done decently at Geelong, hombsch has turned into an out and out gun at port.. Plenty of examples.. From what I saw Clarke held Carlisle pretty quiet but Daniher got on top of Gardiner and Andrews. We shouldn't pay the highest $ in the league for a defender, when they are much easier to develop and groom.. Collingwood have done well with developing frost etc. into decent shutdown defenders, same as western bulldogs with rough was and talia.. We ourselves turned a very raw Merrett into an excellent KPD.. It's not the position that you break the bank for IMO.. Key forwards are much harder to develop as we have shown with our lack of results despite many options since Brown..

Why not aim for a mid priced defender? Rivers done decently at Geelong, hombsch has turned into an out and out gun at port.. Plenty of examples.. From what I saw Clarke held Carlisle pretty quiet but Daniher got on top of Gardiner and Andrews. We shouldn't pay the highest $ in the league for a defender, when they are much easier to develop and groom.. Collingwood have done well with developing frost etc. into decent shutdown defenders, same as western bulldogs with rough was and talia.. We ourselves turned a very raw Merrett into an excellent KPD.. It's not the position that you break the bank for IMO.. Key forwards are much harder to develop as we have shown with our lack of results despite many options since Brown..
If a defender is mid-priced, then it means he is only average. We want an elite defender, obviously, that can shut down the best forwards like Cloke etc. Rance would make our defence complete for the next 8 years. The entire Lions management knows this and will be all over Rance.

The management will be talking to both Rance and Dixon and a few others l am sure, but a Key Defnder is just as important as a Key forward imo if we go by the last game we played.

If a defender is mid-priced, then it means he is only average. We want an elite defender, obviously, that can shut down the best forwards like Cloke etc. Rance would make our defence complete for the next 8 years. The entire Lions management knows this and will be all over Rance.

The management will be talking to both Rance and Dixon and a few others l am sure, but a Key Defnder is just as important as a Key forward imo if we go by the last game we played.
If we break the bank for rance will revisit this in 8 years.. Hogan tore him up this year, a first year player.. I would actually prefer us to chase one KPF/Ruck and one genuine key forward that can take contested marks and win us games off his own boot

If we break the bank for rance will revisit this in 8 years.. Hogan tore him up this year, a first year player.. I would actually prefer us to chase one KPF/Ruck and one genuine key forward that can take contested marks and win us games off his own boot

Hogan had a blinder that day. Could do no wrong.

Thats what we are trying to do. We are trying to find a genuine key forward that can win games. But so is every other club. To lure them to our club we need to pay them a lot of money. We don't need 2 KPF's as well have Freeman, McStay, Close etc.

We are hardly breaking the bank either. We have used very little of our cap space. We actually need to use quite a bit otherwise we will lose it. Might as welll spend it on 2 KPP's and heavily frontload their contracts.

This might be his first year of actually playing AFL, but lets not forget a few things here:
  • It is actually his 3rd year in the system (drafted a year early so got a full year playing against men in VFL, then a year out with a back issue meant he could work on building strength, now in his 3rd year playing regularly.
  • It is pretty tough to defend against any key forward when your mids in front are getting smashed and not applying any pressure on the kick inside 50 as they did that day
  • Hogan had one of those days where he could do no wrong. Another game played tomorrow might see Hogan not touch the ball.
  • Hogan is deceptively big for a young KPP. Having stood next to him at the MCG, he if F***ing enormous

I totally agree with your point, but Rance has a unique ability to shutdown his opponents and also provide rebound. If you compare he's 2014 season with Clarke and Merrett, not only did he beat he's opponent, but provided rebound the other way. That's why he deserves to be on a big salary.
upload_2015-5-29_23-8-51.png upload_2015-5-29_23-10-29.png
138636_ea24fb00eada9ec0acd4fa2eae588f9f.png

View attachment 139124

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-29_23-5-58.png
    upload_2015-5-29_23-5-58.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2015-5-29_23-9-16.png
    upload_2015-5-29_23-9-16.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 8
  • upload_2015-5-29_23-9-40.png
    upload_2015-5-29_23-9-40.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Leppa changed the game as a rebounding CHB. I can see why he loves Rance. With Hardwick's reaction the other day about being asked about Rance, the bond between Rance and Leppa, Leppa's love for a rebounding defender, the cash on offer it seems more likely than not Rance will be a Lion.

He seems like someone who could thrive being away from the spotlight of Melbourne or Perth for that matter, so he can continue his worshipping without media goons waiting outside the church every Sunday for interviews/photos.
Are there any decent JW worshipping places in Brisbane region? Might be the deciding factor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He seems like someone who could thrive being away from the spotlight of Melbourne or Perth for that matter, so he can continue his worshipping without media goons waiting outside the church every Sunday for interviews/photos.
Are there any decent JW worshipping places in Brisbane region? Might be the deciding factor

Apparently nearly 72 of them http://www.jw.org/apps/E_FsPnZGTZNCF (typing in Brisbane in the search field there) so guessing he/they would be able to find one to suit...

I totally agree with your point, but Rance has a unique ability to shutdown his opponents and also provide rebound. If you compare he's 2014 season with Clarke and Merrett, not only did he beat he's opponent, but provided rebound the other way. That's why he deserves to be on a big salary.

Dan played as a forward most of the year ... so it was a bit of a weird one for him.

Can someone summarise the Hogan situation please, like what did we offer for him and what did melbourne give up? I'm genuinely angry about this :mad:

Can someone summarise the Hogan situation please, like what did we offer for him and what did melbourne give up? I'm genuinely angry about this :mad:

We offered picks 8 and 24 (Mayes and Paparone picks) for the mini draft pick 2 which would have secured Hogan.

Melbourne were essentially out of the race, having their priorities with drafting Viney. Conspiracy was that Gold Coast / GWS / Melbourne came to an agreement where neither team would bid on Viney letting him go to the Dees as a 2nd rounder, freeing their first pick for a bid on the mini draft.

Melbourne gave up the pick 3 and mid first round compensation pick for Hogan.

Being that Rance is from WA originally, Perth is the only other major city that reminds me of Brisbane in that is has a relaxed, laid back approach to life. The missus and I have said if it was on East Coast we would even think about moving there.

This is rubbish. Fev was an A grader. His off field life wasn't A grade but on field he was definitely elite. Re-watch the Lions opening 4 games of the 2010 season. Fev and Browny in tandem were so fun to watch, even if that fun was short-lived due to injury among other things.
Yep he was A Grade alright but he had too much going on off the field that affected his on field play.

Re Dixon, sorry but i don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm watching him against the Hawks and his not doing much today, i'm guessing he showed a lot prior? Also should we be paying $750,000 a year for another injury prone player?

Could West when fit be a stop gap and give us that forward option till the others develop?

Re Dixon, sorry but i don't see what all the fuss is about. I'm watching him against the Hawks and his not doing much today, i'm guessing he showed a lot prior? Also should we be paying $750,000 a year for another injury prone player?

Could West when fit be a stop gap and give us that forward option till the others develop?
I too would be interested if West can be a decent target up forward...Unfortunately he got injured again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back