Play Nice Adam Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are the SJW's in this thread mixing politics with sport...

Because it's the internet. They crawl on here to say all the self-righteous garbage that they'd never say out loud in real life, because their views are too extreme.

Do you think when blokes down the pub call Goodes out on his floggery that these social justice heroes pipe up? "Excuse me you racist bigot, how dare you criticise that man. You should check your white privilege and blah blah blah..."

Of course not. They'd rightfully get told to * off - even by moderates. So they come home and do it on here.

This bloke must have been banned for life!!! What a dog act!!!:rolleyes:
mick-5665540.jpg

FFS people need to stop posting this as a comparison. It's all in the context.

O'Loughlin kicked a goal in the dying stages of a final, against the team which they played the previous year in the Grand Final, to put his side in front by a point, which ended up being the sealer. He was already running full tilt and kicked it on the goal line, so he was always going to get up close to the crowd.

But hey, he's a black fella celebrating in front of the crowd so it's definitely relevant here...

But in any case what way is he playing the victim card? And in what way is it unhelpful?

There's a difference between calling out racism and playing the poor me poor me card. You know that right? What he's done for indigenous communities has helped. Like to see how you've helped your community.

I have no idea what either of you are talking about. Freaking weird responses.

The post I was replying to talked about Indigenous people as being victims due to statistical returns in education and heath related issues. People need to acknowledge whatever modicum of control they have in a given situation and start taking charge to alter the outcomes they have control over. Placing yourself solely at the effect end of a situation will only serve to perpetuate the issue.

As for your last comment chunkychicken, I've helped my global community, working with development agencies in third world countries over a number of years and have raised thousands of dollars here in Australia for disadvantaged children and cancer research. I could always do more of course, but am comfortable with my contribution.

Can anyone throw out a couple of other names who were also widely condemned for their actions and mouths at the time but were enormous change agents for their communities. One of them is one of the most widely respected men of his time. Mohammed Ali anyone?!

Now I'm not saying that Goodes is anywhere near the level of Ali but when you look to instigate change (and Goodes is certainly looking to do that), you take people way out of their comfort zones. His words have done that with a lot of people and some of them are holding that against him to a degree.

His actions on field are no better or worse than some of the best in the comp. As has already been pointed out, blokes like Mitchell, Hodge, etc.. don't get booed to the level that Goodes does.

One other point Tuggs, he more than likely unites his people. Not sure if he is saying the things he does to unite the broader population. He is looking to bring his people together and to help them in their own battles (of which they have many). If he puts a few "white" noses out of joint, then so be it. IMO.
Ali divided a lot of people too.
Fair points though mate. Respect.

Doesn't matter. If it was a challenge, good on him.

Someone else said it was a composite created by the u16 team.

So would it be ok if a side of whites responded with mimicking the firing of muskets in response.

It's dumb by Goodes but what we have come to expect from him.

I think it proves he is a better person than us keyboard warriors arguing about why we hate someone who is likely to achieve more in life than we are combined
No doubt he's achieved more than both of us but there are a lot of sports people with charities out there. He has gone down hill in the past six or seven years compared to what he was like. This thread shows a wider variety of people showing contempt for his character. He seems to think it's all about him and when it's not he tries to make it about him.

Its like the issue of health outcomes of Aboriginals vs White populations.
It has nothing to do with racism and more to do with environment.
If a group of people decide to abuse drugs and drink more than another group per population there will be a negative outcome to it. If you live in remote communities 100s of kms away from the nearest hospital or doctor you will have a negative outcome for that. Its a known fact that white people living in rural areas have worse health outcomes than city folk.
But I guess it just sounds better to dress it up as proof of a racist agenda and sell it to those lower in IQ who love to believe that type of s**t.
That is just total bullshit. When people like you run govt departments it makes outcomes much worse. Unfortunately that is the case now.

Adam Goodes is one of those people who is working hard to help Aboriginal people succeed. Indeed he was honoured as AOTY for the work he is doing.

This has been mentioned as one of the reasons why he must be booed.

If an Aboriginal man is booed on the national stage because he advocates racial equality - we need to assume that the nation has a pretty major racist underbelly.

I'd be very interested to see the comparison between the amount, nature and impact of the work that Goodes does, vs Andrew McLeod - and the recognition that they both receive for it (and whether they seek it out).

No doubt he's achieved more than both of us but there are a lot of sports people with charities out there. He has gone down hill in the past six or seven years compared to what he was like. This thread shows a wider variety of people showing contempt for his character. He seems to think it's all about him and when it's not he tries to make it about him.
He is about his people, not the wider community, and thats bloody excellent because indigenous youth need strong role models.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone defending that showboating when his team is up by 50 is a joke. It was absolutely classless. Akermanis got crap for doing it and it is no different here, skin colour is not a shield for criticism and it is just as discriminatory to constantly call any criticism of Goodes racist, as anyone implying that Goodes flaws are somehow genetic. It's not, he's just constantly a prick on field, off field he seems a classy dude.

I think the reaction to this would've been a lot less confused and intense if he hadn't appeared to direct it towards the Carlton supporters.

In theory, I've got no problem with it - I actually like it as a gesture towards the young lads; but the way he executed it was very poor, and has detracted from the gesture he was trying to make.

I think the reaction to this would've been a lot less confused and intense if he hadn't appeared to direct it towards the Carlton supporters.

In theory, I've got no problem with it - I actually like it as a gesture towards the young lads; but the way he executed it was very poor, and has detracted from the gesture he was trying to make.

Just to expand on this, when you listen to the little interview after the game, it reinforces that.

Indigenous round is a great thing - and when you ignore the context he did it in, the act itself, and the explanation that he's proud of his heritage and wanted to display that by doing a little dance that the young abroriginal team love, then I think it's a brilliant thing.

Unfortunately, by appearing to direct it at the Carlton fans, and the fact he has a reputation as being a bit dirty and a bit of a prick, it has overshadowed the gesture and the fact he was showing pride in his heritage.

That in itself is a shame.

Because it's the internet. They crawl on here to say all the self-righteous garbage that they'd never say out loud in real life, because their views are too extreme.

Do you think when blokes down the pub call Goodes out on his floggery that these social justice heroes pipe up? "Excuse me you racist bigot, how dare you criticise that man. You should check your white privilege and blah blah blah..."

Of course not. They'd rightfully get told to **** off - even by moderates. So they come home and do it on here.

So the keybaord warriors can tell them to f*** off. ??

I boo Adam Goodes because Im an irrational football fan and he is good and plays for a team I loathe and is an umpire darling. I do the same to Judd and Ablett, and will now do the same to Hodge and Lewis every time we play them.

But I won't be booing him anymore. There is clearly a racist loathing towards him that an Indigenous player is outspoken and tells us truths we need to hear. Booing him gives cover to those racists, and I won't be doing it when we play them in Melbourne.

Where did you get this sweeping statement from? No need to answer - the loaded PC phrases "societal change... change perceptions...raise awareness" give us a clue. The usual revisionist nonsense used by those whose agenda is to hijack high profile sports for partisan political purposes.

The Ashes, Olympics in East Germany, countless sports and codes against racism and family violence, all go back as far as the history books go. Sports has always been used to settle some sort of argument, about who's got the bigger stick, who's the better country, who can raise more awareness, who can do more for the world, their country, their community.

Being naive doesn't pardon you from being ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back