music_2000

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2005
western sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, wanderers. NY giants
sorry for the amateur post but I'll be heading to the G on Saturday night from Sydney to see the Demons take on the Swans and staying right at a hotel next to Southern Cross station. Not sure if its better to take a train or tram in? and is it better to eat at the ground or eat somewhere else nearby. thanks,

sorry for the amateur post but I'll be heading to the G on Saturday night from Sydney to see the Demons take on the Swans and staying right at a hotel next to Southern Cross station. Not sure if its better to take a train or tram in? and is it better to eat at the ground or eat somewhere else nearby. thanks,
From Southern Cross it's probably easier just to jump on a train and get off at Jolimont or Richmond, depending what line you get on.

Philbit

Draftee
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Sorry if this is a stupid question... I am heading to the Hawks v Swans game in a couple of weeks. I looked at getting tickets a while back, but there wasn't much of a selection available. I understand that most of the MCG is reserved for MCC members, Hawks members, etc.
What I was wondering is, do more sections become available to the public closer to game day when the members reserve sections haven't been sold? Or... should I buy tickets now while I can?

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry if this is a stupid question... I am heading to the Hawks v Swans game in a couple of weeks. I looked at getting tickets a while back, but there wasn't much of a selection available. I understand that most of the MCG is reserved for MCC members, Hawks members, etc.
What I was wondering is, do more sections become available to the public closer to game day when the members reserve sections haven't been sold? Or... should I buy tickets now while I can?

Not really in my experience. A Hawthorn member can probably better answer for the game in question, but basically:

Anywhere in MCC or AFL members will not be available to you unless you know a member who can get you a guest ticket.

Hawthorn footy club members typically would have a seat reserved for the season - it is possible if they have a re-sale option that some of these might free up near to game day, but I wouldn't rely on that. Besides, you'd be surrounded by opposition supporters!

Short Answer:

If you want really good or pretty good seats, hop on to ticketek now and get them.
If you are happy with ordinary seats (level 4), you could get General Admission and just turn up reasonably early to get a good one of that lot - firsdt in best dressed.

Not really in my experience. A Hawthorn member can probably better answer for the game in question, but basically:

Anywhere in MCC or AFL members will not be available to you unless you know a member who can get you a guest ticket.

Hawthorn footy club members typically would have a seat reserved for the season - it is possible if they have a re-sale option that some of these might free up near to game day, but I wouldn't rely on that. Besides, you'd be surrounded by opposition supporters!

Short Answer:

If you want really good or pretty good seats, hop on to ticketek now and get them.
If you are happy with ordinary seats (level 4), you could get General Admission and just turn up reasonably early to get a good one of that lot - firsdt in best dressed.
Was about to ask 'what's the problem with that?' then it hit me. Hawthorn are a different breed of supporters you don't want to be too close to...

music_2000

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2005
western sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, wanderers. NY giants
Keep in mind that you will need to catch either the Hurstbridge or South Morang lines to get to Jolimont from Sothern Cross.
thank you guys we had a great night in Melbourne despite the cold weather... (Sydneysiders don't know the meaning of the word cold until they get there). When the train got to Flinders Street unlike Sydney there was no announcement to say the train terminates and will then become a South Morang bound train. So after waiting 5 minutes thinking we were Southern Cross bound we ended up back in Jolimont but a short wait on the tram to Southern Cross got us back on our way... I shall return for sure in the next few months for another few games...thanks again guys.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo

I went to the MCG last weekend, just rocked up, got level 4 tickets ( Richmond/Collingwood ) bay/section 50 or 51 which was the shady side of the ground, the other side had sun, they cost $25 each, went up to level 4 put our jumpers across the seats and wandered off down to the Cricketers arms and Royal ( 5 minute walk at most) for a few beers before the game ( beware strippers at the Royal :)) a reserves game was being played at Punt Road Oval between Collingwood and Richmond and watched a bit of that as well.

When we returned just before the start of play walked up to level 4 which was becoming increasingly packed and our jumpers were still across the seats.

All good. :thumbsu:

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Came across this rare gem today. The G' back in 1951 looking at the end where the Northern and Ponsford stands are today.

CFbg3SRUIAABofb.jpg:large

And what we see today.

mcg1.jpg

Last edited:

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
What are people's thoughts on the potential crowd for Origin?

Tickets are astronomical. Cheapest are $20 which have already sold out but after that it ranges from $50 to the $270 being the most expensive per seat. Surely they won't get more than 70-80,000 at those rates? I'm sure there'd be plenty of AFL fans who wouldn't mind checking it out if there were more of the $20-$50 tickets but can't see non-rugby fans paying anymore to go.

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
What are people's thoughts on the potential crowd for Origin?

Tickets are astronomical. Cheapest are $20 which have already sold out but after that it ranges from $50 to the $270 being the most expensive per seat. Surely they won't get more than 70-80,000 at those rates? I'm sure there'd be plenty of AFL fans who wouldn't mind checking it out if there were more of the $20-$50 tickets but can't see non-rugby fans paying anymore to go.
60-75k would be the range. MCC is the worry. Will many turn up?

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
60-75k would be the range. MCC is the worry. Will many turn up?

Usually for these type of one off events there is no MCC members section, only the ability for MCC members to purchase subsidised tickets to sit in the pavilion. What isn't purchased is then added to the general public pool of tickets. This was the case for the cricket World Cup and will be the case for the champions cup soccer, so I'm assuming it applies to soo as well.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Usually for these type of one off events there is no MCC members section, only the ability for MCC members to purchase subsidised tickets to sit in the pavilion. What isn't purchased is then added to the general public pool of tickets. This was the case for the cricket World Cup and will be the case for the champions cup soccer, so I'm assuming it applies to soo as well.

I believe the MCC members had the right to purchase them first, but any unsold MCC tickets wll be flogged to the public before the event. I expect 80-85,000

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
I know with previous World Cup Qualifiers/Friendlies with Soccer the Club pays the FFA or Asian Football Confederation a fee to keep the MCC for its members hence the $40 price in past for soccer matches.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I know with previous World Cup Qualifiers/Friendlies with Soccer the Club pays the FFA or Asian Football Confederation a fee to keep the MCC for its members hence the $40 price in past for soccer matches.

I believe this also applies during the AFL Grand Final. Its how the MCC lost millions on the Grand Final and Replay in 2010.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Effectively that's what happens. The MCC would have charged its members a subsidized $40 fee and then the MCC will pay the remainder of the cost of the ticket into the gate so that the event organizer (whether it be AFC, FFA or NRL) is left no worse off by having MCC members in attendance. So for a $110 ticket to the State of Origin, the individual member pays $45 and the MCC will pay the remaining $65 into the gate so that the ARL are left no worse off - they still get their $110 no matter what. The number of bays that the MCC keeps for it's members is determined by the amount of tickets sold in the exclusive MCC pre-sale period. From memory the Liverpool friendly only kept four bays on the top level for members and the rest was sold to the general public.

I'm less clear regarding AFL, but in my member induction it was said that the MCC only pays into the gate the cost of a general admission ticket. So when I scan in this Saturday, the MCC will pay $25 into the gate to compensate Carlton for me being there as an MCC member. For the Grand Final they pay in $150.

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Got an email today as an MCC waiting list member giving the ability to buy origin and queens birthday tickets in the reserve. I doubt they'd open it to the public. They have more say over origin than something like international soccer and cricket.

Back