Autopsy Rd 9 Carlton v Sydney Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Doc finds himself impacting so many contests,it is a testament to how a young man burns to see himself improve on a weekly basis!.
Kudos to him!.
It's great to see.

The amount of marks he intercepts is quite ridiculous, shows how footy smart he is and good reader of the play.

No you don't.
2,220 in over 5 years is not a lot.
And you're way off in your summary of Graham.

Now listen here, HBF.

The Carlton BF board is struggling. You can't just expect a new poster to come on here and dominate from day 1.

Maybe rp84 is a KPP (key position poster), I've heard they don't mature for years... :p

Sam Doc finds himself impacting so many contests,it is a testament to how a young man burns to see himself improve on a weekly basis!.
Kudos to him!.

Wincing at Brisbane and the go home 5, Polec, Doc and now Yeo excelling at their new clubs. That exodus is far more damaging to that club long term than us losing Eddie, Jeffy, Potential and Robbo ..

no he isn't. Poor post. He may have been in the past on potential but he has never performed consistently enought to be considered a top 3 ruck in the afl.
Should have been all australian in 2012 if it wasnt for the medias love of Nic Nat Paddy Hack

So no, yours is the poor post. Injuries aside he is the absolute prototype ruckman

Kreuzer in his time thus far may not have been technically a world beater but he did IMO have an understated impact on our whole midfield and at his best certainly a very good 1st ruck. Though he seems to have been one of those rucks that thrives when left to do most of the work.

God I hope his body can be brought right.

The Summary
Sydney too good, Carlton not so terrible. I reckon 10 goals was a slightly better-than-expected result and people should be pretty happy with the response from the players after a big week.

The Difference
  • The Swans were able to waltz the ball through the middle in twos and threes without too much of an issue or simply find a loose player around the edges of the centre square while bringing the ball out of half back. Compare that ball movement to Carlton and we had to work very hard to move the ball just about every time.
  • When Sydney kicked it into their F50, it was often to a leading Franklin, isolated Tippett (who still spudded it) or to a situation where smaller forwards were very dangerous. Carlton rarely kicked to the advantage of Casboult or Jones.
These two areas - ball movement through the ground and F50 delivery - are the two that Carlton have been terrible at and need to fix before we can be a winning side.

The Good
Bell - Worked his way into the game and if he had kicked his two set shots would be close to BOG for us with 7 clearances and 28 disposals.
Cripps - His inside work was at his usual lofty standard. Shanked a kick or two and disappointing he didn't finish with two goals, but geez the guy can play.
Simpson - Was solid down back and worked really well in tandem with Docherty. Can never fault his effort.
Docherty - Just does everything. Marks, tackles, intercepts, pressures, gets plenty of the ball.
Rowe - Relished the temporary pseudo-responsibility of captaincy and didn't let us down. Franklin was in full flight and Rowe held his own.

I Liked...
  • Seeing the run and intensity of Dylan Buckley. We need to be playing him as much as possible from here. Disposal was good tonight, albeit as a sub.
  • Casboult's kicking.
  • Nick Graham having a solid game. Need to persist with him and give him more than one game at a time.
  • Curnow's tagging - another great effort.
Next week
  • Jones simply isn't good enough. He put in a lot of effort to chase and tackle in the first half, but it is apparent he isn't fit enough as it dropped away in the second. If he isn't taking grabs and kicking goals, we can't carry him if he isn't fit enough.
  • Tutt has endeavour but lacks skill. He has played the last couple of games - might be time for someone else to play.
  • Henderson needs to show up.
  • Menzel too.
  • You know what? Throw Walker and Thomas in that pile while we're at it.
  • We really need a fit Jamison.
  • How about we play Tuohy forward? His defensive work has been hit-and-miss this year but geez, we could do with the accurate shot on goal. His kicking at goal or to our KPFs would be a massive plus. Would also allow guys like Buckley or Byrne (when fit) to slot into HBF roles.
Hope you liked the pretty colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tutt is just.. Well depth really. Tries hard and goes all day, but don't really want him in the 22 if we have other options
Tutt appears to be the new version of Ellard. Gives his all, but is a small slow footballer. He is the kind of kid that we wouldnt mind coming in as a sub towards the end of the game just to give some extra pace and lift to the team.

The Summary
Sydney too good, Carlton not so terrible. I reckon 10 goals was a slightly better-than-expected result and people should be pretty happy with the response from the players after a big week.

The Difference
  • The Swans were able to waltz the ball through the middle in twos and threes without too much of an issue or simply find a loose player around the edges of the centre square while bringing the ball out of half back. Compare that ball movement to Carlton and we had to work very hard to move the ball just about every time.
  • When Sydney kicked it into their F50, it was often to a leading Franklin, isolated Tippett (who still spudded it) or to a situation where smaller forwards were very dangerous. Carlton rarely kicked to the advantage of Casboult or Jones.
These two areas - ball movement through the ground and F50 delivery - are the two that Carlton have been terrible at and need to fix before we can be a winning side.

The Good
Bell - Worked his way into the game and if he had kicked his two set shots would be close to BOG for us with 7 clearances and 28 disposals.
Cripps - His inside work was at his usual lofty standard. Shanked a kick or two and disappointing he didn't finish with two goals, but geez the guy can play.
Simpson - Was solid down back and worked really well in tandem with Docherty. Can never fault his effort.
Docherty - Just does everything. Marks, tackles, intercepts, pressures, gets plenty of the ball.
Rowe - Relished the temporary pseudo-responsibility of captaincy and didn't let us down. Franklin was in full flight and Rowe held his own.

I Liked...
  • Seeing the run and intensity of Dylan Buckley. We need to be playing him as much as possible from here. Disposal was good tonight, albeit as a sub.
  • Casboult's kicking.
  • Nick Graham having a solid game. Need to persist with him and give him more than one game at a time.
  • Curnow's tagging - another great effort.
Next week
  • Jones simply isn't good enough. He put in a lot of effort to chase and tackle in the first half, but it is apparent he isn't fit enough as it dropped away in the second. If he isn't taking grabs and kicking goals, we can't carry him if he isn't fit enough.
  • Tutt has endeavour but lacks skill. He has played the last couple of games - might be time for someone else to play.
  • Henderson needs to show up.
  • Menzel too.
  • You know what? Throw Walker and Thomas in that pile while we're at it.
  • We really need a fit Jamison.
  • How about we play Tuohy forward? His defensive work has been hit-and-miss this year but geez, we could do with the accurate shot on goal. His kicking at goal or to our KPFs would be a massive plus. Would also allow guys like Buckley or Byrne (when fit) to slot into HBF roles.
Hope you liked the pretty colours.

My favourite bit was all the colours :rainbow:

I'm one of these.
Kreuzer in his time thus far may not have been technically a world beater but he did IMO have an understated impact on our whole midfield and at his best certainly a very good 1st ruck. Though he seems to have been one of those rucks that thrives when left to do most of the work.

God I hope his body can be brought right.

We miss Kreuzer's physicality. He's also a better tap ruck man then Wood by a fair bit.

Feels like it's been forever since we saw him at senior level.

Got a feeling the board will 'Unleash The Bark' towards the end of the season and that ain't bad news folks, Barker's stocks have risen considerably in recent days, to the point he is now my 2nd preferred choice for the role after Leigh Tudor (definitely do not want Dew or Bassett, I get a Mark Neeld vibe about Bassett for some reason)
Ummm... the fact that Bassett was a successful head coach at state level makes you get a Mark Neeld vibe about him?

Sheesh... talk about a hard taskmaster!

One thing that frustrates me is our players constantly looking for the boundary line. Sure there's a time for it but even when we're attacking we play for it as though it's a win.

Henderson is a big culprit, seeing him on lesser opposition like Reid and then playing for the line is a win every time for Sydney. It's why I wouldn't be against trading him, as much as he is a fan favorite he is not someone you can build a forward line around, he is far from the dominate player we make him out to be.

Thomas stands out in this respect, plays to keep it in and in our possession at all cost, as you know, should be the point of playing the game.
Move Henderson into defence and Tuohy into the forward line as a high half forward flanker!

Ummm... the fact that Bassett was a successful head coach at state level makes you get a Mark Neeld vibe about him?

Sheesh... talk about a hard taskmaster!

Just seems to come across as a really angry, intense person, least that's the impression I got of him as a player for the Crows..

Doesn't seem like he is a serious candidate for the job, at any rate (according to the betting markets)

This and only this. :thumbsu:
Just hope it happens Thy ... It really is about time the power brokers, start to realise that they are not football gurus!

We need to have a good hard look at how success is built in the modern era.

It just astounds me that we have been so slow on the uptake.

If anything we have an opportunity now to wipe the slate and build a proper dynasty. BUT IT TAKES TIME NO SHORTCUTS!!!!

TBH if they blow it again thats it for me ... I will have to follow another sport .... just tired of us not learning from our mistakes ... Do frustrating.

I am a die hard Blue and will always have blue balls but I just want to see some proper effort instead of the rubbish we have seen on and off the field the last 15 years.

I still have no idea how we managed to find ourselves here .... such a myriad of colossal mistakes, one after the other. Just an absolute joke!

And most of them coming from the dated philosophy that u can still get the quick fix in modern footy .... NO YOU CANNOT!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back