2015 Non Freo discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Port seem to be having the same issue we had last year where they just expected to rock up and go one better... except they don't have RTB to drag them into the top 4 even when they're a bit off their game.

I loved the war cry myself. Perfect way to celebrate indigenous round from a champion footballer who is clearly incredibly proud of his culture. Don't understand all the booing myself.

I thought it was a pretty weak attempt at copying a Haka.

Tippped Melbourne, Port are gawn this year.

Listened to 5 minutes of the Hawks game on Triple M, Jake King tried for a solid 2-3 minutes to read out the leading possession winners on the ground. How does this guy have a job in the media!?

Port have kicked the last 5 goals since this post, whoops.

Now 6, bloody Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That war dance was invented about 5 years ago for the all-stars team so yeah, it is an imitation. Let's not pretend it's some ancient ritual.
So what if he feels connected to it? If other Indigenous people are getting behind it on the sporting field. I don't think it makes it ignominious.

So what if he feels connected to it? If other Indigenous people are getting behind it on the sporting field. I don't think it makes it ignominious.
Doesn't mean it has any relevance to ancient indigenous culture. Did the Noongar perform a war dance the same as the Eora? Did they ever even meet each other?

There are hundreds of indigenous peoples, adopting these kinds of things is more a case of trite symbolism.

Doesn't mean it has any relevance to ancient indigenous culture. Did the Noongar perform a war dance the same as the Eora? Did they ever even meet each other?

There are hundreds of indigenous peoples, adopting these kinds of things is more a case of trite symbolism.
I want talking about ancient indigenous culture, though, so I don't know why this is being brought into it. My initial post was saying it wasn't imitating the Haka.

Cultural appropriation isn't unique, though. It's happening the world over.

I want talking about ancient indigenous culture, though, so I don't know why this is being brought into it. My initial post was saying it wasn't imitating the Haka.

Cultural appropriation isn't unique, though. It's happening the world over.
But it is an imitation of the haka. Rugby league players would like it adopted for when they play New Zealand.

Aaaaaaaanyway, this Hawks/Suns game is rubbish. Really hope the Hawks have a bad year, purely on the basis of not wanting to meet them in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back