VFL Round 7 - Coburg vs Collingwood at Coburg City Oval (Pies WON 121-82, Replay in post #310, page 13)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to have the VFL play 5min from home and be able to attend! It was a good win overall, the difference in level between our team made mostly out of AFL listed players and theirs was obvious. We were stronger, and cleaner with the ball. We dropped the intensity in the last quarter which made the score closer than it could have been.

Broomhead best on ground, with our other top performers being Kennedy, Marsh, Still and Reid. Some notes on players below:

Broomhead - Great game as a goal kicking mid. Ended up with 3 goals, some of them against a strong wind, and showed his class being involved in most of our best plays. I think that's exactly what the club would have been looking for by making him play a full game in the 2s. Interestingly Bucks who was there had a long word in his ear at 3/4 time.

Kennedy - Probably our equal best mid at half time with Broomy. He looked well above VFL level, breaking lines and disposing of the ball cleanly. He was a bit in and out of it in the second half so makes me wonder if he still has endurance issues. Still, he's definitely got a role to play for us in the AFL this year.

Marsh - He was really good. Impressive defensive positioning and instinct when you think he grew up a forward. Used his speed well, and even his kicking was decent, which I think is the main thing holding him from a call to the seniors. Also showed good leadership, shouting instructions and giving some good advice to others when coming on or off the interchange bench.

Reid - Didn't look like a player coming back from an injury, he was fast, strong and involved. Good marking, good kicking. If you except the fact that we made him sit out the last quarter, I don't see how he wouldn't come straight back in the seniors. We are probably being very conservative with his return.

Abbott - Kicked the two goals today and showed good intensity. He's got great upper body strength so he manages to get the handball out even when tackled. Personally not sure he will make it as a best 22 AFL player, but showed some good signs.

Karnezis - he played mostly on the wing, and some time in the backline. While I can see how that's beneficial to the VFL team, I don't see it as good for the seniors, because he's simply too slow to be an AFL midfielder. Also had some dangerous and costly turnovers. Good to see him kick 3 goals though, I would love to see him re-developed as a full time forward.

Scharenberg - he looked more like a player coming back from an injury than Reid. He was pretty good, showed his good read of the ball in the way he positions himself and gets the spoil or the mark in defence. He tried to take on some players on the rebound but I think he's missing some acceleration (hopefully just a temporary thing) and being close to the interchange bench I could see him out of breath by the end of the game so still needs to build his tank.

Armstrong
- Armstrong was Armstrong, and I don't mean it in a bad way. I think he's a known quantity in what he offers. Great kicking, gets a bit of it, but lack the physicality when faced with a contest or going to the middle. Think he can play a role when called for us, but others would get priority.

Cox - Good in the hit outs, but not great around the ground or in play. He struggled with defensive marking.

Gault - disappointing performance, as he was not involved enough forward and looked at his best in the ruck. He got sent to the backline for some parts of the second half.

Young - came on in the 2nd quarter, played mostly on the wing at first then in the back. On the wing he used his speed to do some good things, but was a bit of a liability in the back, cost us a goal by getting caught HTB close to the goals. Would want to show a bit more to get a senior call I would think, but only his first game back.

Maynard was decent, some fumbles but some good defensive efforts and good on the rebound. Still was very good as a forward, for those calling him to the be rookied, why not since our tall forward stock is so thin, but he's quite a one-dimensional forward, which works very well in the seconds but probably not in the AFL. Didn't see much of Manteit or Goodyear but it might have been because I wasn't following them as closely as others.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates guys. Another good win to us.:D

Hope you are OK Magpie Girl, what with bumps to the head and freezing weather.

Still keeps kicking them. Maybe he will attract attention from recruiters, although he was on the Bombers list(?). I think Knightmare has given us some insights into this guy, along the lines of this might be the level he excels at. Anyway, he's helping our twos along nicely, and winning is winning.

I can tell that getting hit on the head with a football hurts, and that came off the goalpost
I didn't realise that it was you that was hit, hope you are okay.
Which end were you at as I was moving end to end where the pies were kicking for goal . Although I had to leave just after 3/4 time.

Interesting that all three emergencies played.....which one got the least gametime? I assume the team will be as selected and Dwyer will be the genuine emergency if somebody breaks down in the warm up?

I would have to assume that Frost is 100% fit if Marsh was kept out.
Dwyer only played the second half.

Enjoyed my second VFL game of the year today. Even managed to take the wife who didn't hate it - will hopefully get along to a few more this year :thumbsu:

Was really impressed with Reid, most of his kicking was just like we remember - long low and straight. Really miss him in the seniors. If he stays fit I'd like to see him in the 1s after the bye.
Scharenberg looks to be getting better and better - still not that quick (was he ever?) but composed, clever and efficient.
Broomhead is too good for VFL football - predictably good as a mid/forward.
Kennedy kept going and going, like Broomhead he is too good for VFL. Depending on how the senior players go tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if he plays next week.
Abbott was what I expected - athletic, strong, doesn't get much of it but doesn't really waste opportunities.
Marsh is breathtakingly quick, but needs more composure when he delivers the ball.
I liked Manteit - not sure he got that much of it but looks a player, moves well and has good size about him.

All in all a great day out - got a bit cold late but apart from that really enjoyable.

I didn't realise that it was you that was hit, hope you are okay.
Which end were you at as I was moving end to end where the pies were kicking for goal . Although I had to leave just after 3/4 time.
Was mostly at the grandstand end maggie

Enjoyed my second VFL game of the year today. Even managed to take the wife who didn't hate it - will hopefully get along to a few more this year :thumbsu:
Was really impressed with Reid, most of his kicking was just like we remember - long low and straight. Really miss him in the seniors. If he stays fit I'd like to see him in the 1s after the bye.
Scharenberg looks to be getting better and better - still not that quick (was he ever?) but composed, clever and efficient.
Broomhead is too good for VFL football - predictably good as a mid/forward.
Kennedy kept going and going, like Broomhead he is too good for VFL. Depending on how the senior players go tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if he plays next week.
Abbott was what I expected - athletic, strong, doesn't get much of it but doesn't really waste opportunities.
Marsh is breathtakingly quick, but needs more composure when he delivers the ball.
I liked Manteit - not sure he got that much of it but looks a player, moves well and has good size about him.
All in all a great day out - got a bit cold late but apart from that really enjoyable.
Progress? :p

Thanks for the updates guys. Another good win to us.:D

Hope you are OK Magpie Girl, what with bumps to the head and freezing weather.

Still keeps kicking them. Maybe he will attract attention from recruiters, although he was on the Bombers list(?). I think Knightmare has given us some insights into this guy, along the lines of this might be the level he excels at. Anyway, he's helping our twos along nicely, and winning is winning.

On Still. He was some years ago selected by Essendon, and only there for a short time. For the past three seasons he has played in the SANFL and his standard of performance has continued to improve, and he performed well last year in those games he played.

Looking at the limited number of games he has played over the past three seasons in the SANFL, I imagine he has had some injury issues along the journey.

By state league standards he is among the better key forwards. I just wouldn't personally be comfortable with the club drafting Still to an AFL list, even as a rookie. He isn't a power forward who will win the 1v1 contests and take contested grabs against AFL standard opponents, so he isn't an ideal fit alongside Cloke. And his standard of play is to more a depth/high level state league standard as opposed to a best 22 standard, and in his mid 20s, that isn't likely to change. So I'd pass for those reasons.

In saying that I'd love to have him for the next 5-6 seasons at VFL level. Like Brett Eddy before him. At VFL level he is among the better forwards you'll get.

Reid - Didn't look like a player coming back from an injury, he was fast, strong and involved. Good marking, good kicking. If you except the fact that we made him sit out the last quarter, I don't see how he wouldn't come straight back in the seniors. We are probably being very conservative with his return.

Where did Reid play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Still. He was some years ago selected by Essendon, and only there for a short time. For the past three seasons he has played in the SANFL and his standard of performance has continued to improve, and he performed well last year in those games he played.

Looking at the limited number of games he has played over the past three seasons in the SANFL, I imagine he has had some injury issues along the journey.

By state league standards he is among the better key forwards. I just wouldn't personally be comfortable with the club drafting Still to an AFL list, even as a rookie. He isn't a power forward who will win the 1v1 contests and take contested grabs against AFL standard opponents, so he isn't an ideal fit alongside Cloke. And his standard of play is to more a depth/high level state league standard as opposed to a best 22 standard, and in his mid 20s, that isn't likely to change. So I'd pass for those reasons.

In saying that I'd love to have him for the next 5-6 seasons at VFL level. Like Brett Eddy before him. At VFL level he is among the better forwards you'll get.

What did you think of Magpie Girl 's performance? Think she'll be OK to play next week? Any chance of getting rookied end of season?

Where did Reid play?

Played in the backline. I would love to play him forward in the AFL so we could get our 3 tall structure working (with only one ruck) but I think with Keeffe getting delisted soon we have just two AFL-level defenders which is not enough. I think Marsh is slightly undersized to play on the AFL forwards so I would see him in the Goldsack role in the AFL.

Good game to watch in windy conditions. We started ok but got better as the game went on.

Reid played about 3 quarters, but probably only about 50% game time as he was on and off a lot. Similar for Young and Dwyer, with Sammy and Clinton not even coming on till after quarter time and half time respectively.

Broomhead was great I thought, really dangerous around goals. Kennedy good as always at this level.

Interesting that the backling functioned well with Reid, Scharenberg, Marsh and Pendlebury down there, all are mobile enough though.

Good win, moves the VFL Magpies to 4-2.

Big Statement to make about a VFL player... think you are being very harsh on White

White only been good last few weeks.

Still has Kicked a Few Bags this year in the VFL.

Still be close to a AFL game IF he was on the AFL List

White only been good last few weeks.

Still has Kicked a Few Bags this year in the VFL.

Still be close to a AFL game IF he was on the AFL List
White would be kicking bags in the VFL too Dave. Kicked a bag in his game against Geeling last year in the twos if I recall.

Still is good at VFL level, but putting him ahead of White when he's never managed to break in to a senior AFL squad is just silly.

Knightmare Still is better Forward then Gault and be Pushing White.

I be happy to Pick Still with a Late Pick or as a Rookie.

Still just keep kicking Goals

I agree with your comments that Still is a little better than Gault up forward, or certainly closer to goal. And I'd say in the same conversation as White or slightly behind as he has less tricks.

Why Gault and White I regard as better is while neither are terrific forwards, they can both play up the ground and through the ruck and provide some relief.

By AFL standards Still would not have the ability to even pinch-hit through the ruck, and up forward like Gault and White would provide by AFL standards a poor target.

So while I agree with your analysis of where Still stands v our other forwards as a forward.

I'm not happy with White or Gault at AFL level as two players I'd like to see replaced in time by better options and I as such I wouldn't be happy with Still either as someone who offers relatively less overall.

With key forwards and I'll stay consistent with this message. It's all about superiority of talent. It's no good getting mid career depth standard guys. You only need 2-3 key forwards. But those you have, they better be great. It's just a waste of list positions having one or more key forward who aren't of a high standard. And none of White/Gault or Still would fit that category.

--
For some perspective. If you're not an 80 goal a year full forward. You're not AFL standard. And Still at 2-3 goals a game isn't there. He'd need to average 4 goals a game on the season to be worthwhile by position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back