Preview Round 9 (Yes....really!) Suns vs Hawks in Launceston Sat May 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Matera and Russell were poor today
They're not taking their opportunities
Not sure how Mal went , but you'd think he'll come back in next week and Shawy.
If Rocket is looking for footskills he's not getting them from Russell or Matera at the moment andMatty gives 110% every time he's on the ground
Russell, Matera and McKenzie couldn't run with their Hawks opponents - would be among the group Rocket mentioned.

Eades Presser..
I'm liking it.. Speaks the truth..
There looks a game plan usually the first half.. Before the young guys run out of legs..
We've just been unlucky this year so far!! Looking forward to after the bye.

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2015-05-30/rd-9-rodney-eade-postmatch
Kinda feels like our season starts again after the bye. Still won't have our best midfield out there but at least it gives some of the other boys to roll through there a bit.

My thoughts on some of the players today:

The Good

Hallahan - keep doing that each week
Nicholls - getting better every week and hope he can stay fit to see what level he can get to with a sustained run at it
May - that intercept, trap and go in the 2nd quarter was the highlight of the day for me
Saad - without him we would never get it out of the backline - his quick play seems to start a lot (relative term) of our scoring chains
Brooksby - decent debut taking a few grabs and being prepared to work around the ground
Boston - got skills and wasn't afraid to lay a few tackles, certainly want to see him get more of a run on the wing

The Bad

McKenzie - only has 1 effort in him before he stops chasing
Bennell - both this game and WCE game he has no conscious when kicking out of the backline and doesn't seem to care where it goes
Lemmens - been watching him since the end of last year and I don't think he can kick the ball efficiently when under any sort of pressure
Matera - no tackles and disposal efficiency of 46% - can't see him getting a game next week and to be seriously looked to be moved on at end of the year
Harbrow - there is a reason why he isn't in the leadership group, he isn't a leader - dances around like a cat on a hot tin roof and then kicks scrubbers when going forward

Ugly

Our fitness / strength and conditioning team
- our prized asset Ablett being sent out in Rd 1 too early
- O'meara doing an injury to the same part of his body as he got operated on (coincidence = convenient excuse)
- Martin lasting 1 minute today with a soft tissue injury
- constantly not having the fitness the run out a) red time of quarters and b) 2nd half of games.

Stephen Schwerdt saw the writing on the wall that his days were numbered and that his tenure had been an abject failure otherwise why would he be allowed to leave in the middle of his contract. These blokes are making Dean 'the weapon' Robinson look like a viable alternative.

We are losing the possesion count by over 100 nearly every week , cant win games when allowing opposing teams so much of the ball , our engine room is killing us at the moment.

Eade said in his presser.. After half time it all comes down to the run and spread to cut off the angles and to close down space..
And our team atm havent got any gas tickets left to keep the pressure on.
Also said.. Its not something they can change anytime soon.. Untill they get there A list squad back or another pre season into them.

I missed the first half and apparently, the best part of the game. The second half looked just like the rest of our losses this year - ugly.

Last year after 9 rounds, we were 7-2, this year, we are 1-8. Injuries and lacklustre play have caused a horrible downturn but, on the broadcast they said Gaz would be back after the bye - it will be soooooo nice to see a HEALTHY #9 back on the field!

Last edited:
We are losing the possesion count by over 100 nearly every week , cant win games when allowing opposing teams so much of the ball , our engine room is killing us at the moment.
147 of our 300 disposals were contested. That's an indictment on the lack of skill by foot at this club. We cannot string together 2 possessions without an awful turn over / clanger and getting smashed on the way back. It's little wonder we cannot lift our feet after half time.
McKenzie - still lives in the under 12 mentality of getting it & kicking it as far as possible. His only supposed strong point is that left boot that goes at a low 64% efficiency (AFL ave 72%).
Harbrow - has zero composure and again doesn't look for a team mate. AFL number one in 2014 for kicks on the full (14) proves this. A paltry 7 possessions yesterday in conditions made for him. He needs to lift and now.
Stanley - tries his guts out but there is no role for him anymore. He hasn't troubled the scoreboard this year and racks up junk times stats. Ran at 53% yesterday.
Russell - doesn't get enough of it. Again tries his heart out.
Shaw - outside runners are supposed to hurt teams by carrying it 25 metres and hitting targets another 50 metres away (Saad). Shawy runs hard one way, gives off dinky little handballs or kicks it to a contest if we're lucky. He doesn't tackle when close enough to and applies zero pressure. 70 + games is enough of a sample for mine.
Broughton and Raines - both have a crack and should see out their days as NEAFL leaders.
Rischitelli - Easily leading our best and fairest and easily leading the AFL in worst kicking efficiency (54%).

Prestia 62%, Swallow 63%, Bennell 62%, Hallahan 60%. Either our boys aren't getting into space further afield as targets or the skill level is deplorable. Before anyone blames Eade we finished a long last in 2014 as well. Teams are setting up to allow us the clearance knowing they'll get it back and spread the other way.
Hawthorn sub played his first game yesterday, came on had 8 kicks and ran at 100% efficiency. It's easy to get the ball at Hawthorn, but he still had to use it with added nerves of first game. That's the difference between the best and worst.
Martin, O'Meara, Saad and KK all run over 80% showing that skill doesn't have to take 80 games. Either we rid ourselves of players who cannot kick or we remain a very ordinary football team.

while we can talk about kicking efficiency all we want, but there are a lot of factors that determine whether a disposal is effective.

here's champion data's definitions of effective disposals:

• Effective handball - a handball to a teammate that hits the intended target.
  • Effective long kick - a kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team.
  • Effective short kick - a kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession. Does not include kicks that are spoiled by the opposition.
from that, 2/3 of the types of disposal require it to go directly to its intended target, without getting spoiled.

i think our main issue isn't our skills but the footy smarts to know where to kick and when. obviously still adjusting to rocket's game plan, but i reckon our kicking efficiency is low because we're doing dumb kicks and making s**t decisions with the footy. sounds basic but i'd like to view it that we lack direction rather than lack the skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am beginning to fear Rockets hard line is being rejected by the players.

I think its being rejected by a group of players I'm caring less and less about every week

Maysie KK Riska Nicholls Saady Dion Miller Lynch Dicko Harbs and a few others are working as hard as they possibly can and trying to carry out a gameplan when possible
Malceski Thommo Gaz and a couple of young guys stepping up will make all the difference back half I reckon
Lets judge how we finish off the season, not get too blinded by the fog of war just at the moment

I think its being rejected by a group of players I'm caring less and less about every week

Maysie KK Riska Nicholls Saady Dion Miller Lynch Dicko Harbs and a few others are working as hard as they possibly can and trying to carry out a gameplan when possible
Malceski Thommo Gaz and a couple of young guys stepping up will make all the difference back half I reckon
Lets judge how we finish off the season, not get too blinded by the fog of war just at the moment
Hopefully your right and we get critical mass at some point in the not too distant future

The sad reality of modern footy is that you rise and fall on your combined beep tests
Its no wonder professional athletes get lured into dodgy supplement programs by the promise of shaving a tenth off their 15m times and improving their 1 hr endurances by 20%
You have guys who can run (eg Harbs and Shaw)
You have guys with footy brain(eg Hallahan and Stanley)
Then you have the guys who can run and have footy brain-unfortunately all of ours are injured

G
The sad reality of modern footy is that you rise and fall on your combined beep tests
Its no wonder professional athletes get lured into dodgy supplement programs by the promise of shaving a tenth off their 15m times and improving their 1 hr endurances by 20%
You have guys who can run (eg Harbs and Shaw)
You have guys with footy brain(eg Hallahan and Stanley)
Then you have the guys who can run and have footy brain-unfortunately all of ours are injured
Greg Williams wouldnt get a game with the Suns.. (or anyone else for that matter.)

from that, 2/3 of the types of disposal require it to go directly to its intended target, without getting spoiled.

i think our main issue isn't our skills but the footy smarts to know where to kick and when. obviously still adjusting to rocket's game plan, but i reckon our kicking efficiency is low because we're doing dumb kicks and making s**t decisions with the footy. sounds basic but i'd like to view it that we lack direction rather than lack the skills.

Another factor with disposal efficiency, especially kicking efficiency, is having someone in the clear to give the ball to. It is a lot easier to hit a player in the open (although some of our players are pretty good at stuffing that up as well).

It was obvious last week against the Pies and again in the 2nd half against the Hawks, the other teams consistently have open players to give the ball to and we don't. The Hawks are top shelf but even the Pies, full of young players, outworked us and were able to get in the clear to get the ball delivered, or had numbers at the contest for an easy handball.

For us, the defenders look up and too often it is a kick to a contest. Our handballs are under pressure. After a while players just start chucking the ball onto the boot to get it moving and so they don't get tackled and then it comes straight back. At first it was a lack of effort killing us, but once the effort came it has been a lack of run. Thinking back to the first part of last year, we had a fit Ablett, Swallow, Prestia and Jaeger running all day. 4 of our best runners and ball users.

As Rocket says, there is some blue sky ahead. But is also means that our 2nd tier mids are off the pace - either because of talent or not working hard enough. Some of them will need to drop some weight/muscle to improve their running.

Another factor with disposal efficiency, especially kicking efficiency, is having someone in the clear to give the ball to. It is a lot easier to hit a player in the open (although some of our players are pretty good at stuffing that up as well).

It was obvious last week against the Pies and again in the 2nd half against the Hawks, the other teams consistently have open players to give the ball to and we don't. The Hawks are top shelf but even the Pies, full of young players, outworked us and were able to get in the clear to get the ball delivered, or had numbers at the contest for an easy handball.

For us, the defenders look up and too often it is a kick to a contest. Our handballs are under pressure. After a while players just start chucking the ball onto the boot to get it moving and so they don't get tackled and then it comes straight back. At first it was a lack of effort killing us, but once the effort came it has been a lack of run. Thinking back to the first part of last year, we had a fit Ablett, Swallow, Prestia and Jaeger running all day. 4 of our best runners and ball users.

As Rocket says, there is some blue sky ahead. But is also means that our 2nd tier mids are off the pace - either because of talent or not working hard enough. Some of them will need to drop some weight/muscle to improve their running.

Its not talent. Which one of them doesn't have the physical attributes to surpass Greg Williams?

.....You got me. Size of the heart...

I believe the game plan does not suit our players. They are forced to get the ball and get rid of it immediately and they panic under pressure. We are certainly not a Hawthorn yet they are expected to play that style of footy.There are players in the clear I saw Boston miss Stanley twice yesterday and got caught, no ones fault they are now a product of a game plan that is clearly above them.
If they could take their time and look for better options we would not have such a poor disposal rate. Trouble is when you are forced to get rid of it quickly players are also not in the best position to accept the pass.

At training there seems to be no issue with kicking or skills but in the game it happens so obviously they do have the necessary tools but it is in the pressure situation that lets them down. Confidence and trust in their ability and their team mates ability to move the ball to a better option, in my option is the key. It is easy to get rid of it quickly and make it someone else's problem. I cant see why they can't play a slower safer brand of footy until they learn. Sure we may not win anymore games but give the boys some self belief in their own abilities and learn to look for better options.
You never know we could throw other teams into a spin and actually ruin their game plan trying to adapt to a slow pace.

Agree, and I would add handballs to people feet is a common practice with our team, I understand we are often under pressure but many times it is because of these poor handballs.

Rocket talked about getting the ball out early in pre season to up our skills, I am yet to see the fruit of that effort, he is now saying they need a tough pre season we'll hang on he did have them for all of last pre season. This season is a disaster in many aspects.

147 of our 300 disposals were contested. That's an indictment on the lack of skill by foot at this club. We cannot string together 2 possessions without an awful turn over / clanger and getting smashed on the way back. It's little wonder we cannot lift our feet after half time.
McKenzie - still lives in the under 12 mentality of getting it & kicking it as far as possible. His only supposed strong point is that left boot that goes at a low 64% efficiency (AFL ave 72%).
Harbrow - has zero composure and again doesn't look for a team mate. AFL number one in 2014 for kicks on the full (14) proves this. A paltry 7 possessions yesterday in conditions made for him. He needs to lift and now.
Stanley - tries his guts out but there is no role for him anymore. He hasn't troubled the scoreboard this year and racks up junk times stats. Ran at 53% yesterday.
Russell - doesn't get enough of it. Again tries his heart out.
Shaw - outside runners are supposed to hurt teams by carrying it 25 metres and hitting targets another 50 metres away (Saad). Shawy runs hard one way, gives off dinky little handballs or kicks it to a contest if we're lucky. He doesn't tackle when close enough to and applies zero pressure. 70 + games is enough of a sample for mine.
Broughton and Raines - both have a crack and should see out their days as NEAFL leaders.
Rischitelli - Easily leading our best and fairest and easily leading the AFL in worst kicking efficiency (54%).

Prestia 62%, Swallow 63%, Bennell 62%, Hallahan 60%. Either our boys aren't getting into space further afield as targets or the skill level is deplorable. Before anyone blames Eade we finished a long last in 2014 as well. Teams are setting up to allow us the clearance knowing they'll get it back and spread the other way.
Hawthorn sub played his first game yesterday, came on had 8 kicks and ran at 100% efficiency. It's easy to get the ball at Hawthorn, but he still had to use it with added nerves of first game. That's the difference between the best and worst.
Martin, O'Meara, Saad and KK all run over 80% showing that skill doesn't have to take 80 games. Either we rid ourselves of players who cannot kick or we remain a very ordinary football team.

Do agree with most of what you say except your comment on Stanley who had 94.4% efficiency against Collingwood last week so something is going on.
To be fair the conditions looked shocking on the weekend so most of the boys struggled and this game plan they have to adhere to is not helping.
I also think there will always be a position for a Stanley type player at the club Not saying it has to be him exclusively. Someone who can play in any position. Stanley is certainly not a super star but an honest tough player who will do the job given to him and he is moved to play several roles throughout every game. Junk time stats ?? I would like to think he keeps trying when others give up or go off the boil.

Rischitelli gets alot of the ball but he just gets it and kicks it up in the air I find it frustrating to watch but do agree he is far the best this year.
Thought Harbrow was the golden child with Ede - seems to be overtaken by lonergan maybe that is why he is doing nothing. Not a fan he too is a get it and kick it anywhere type of player.
I can't even entertain Martin at this stage. Will he ever be injury free. Reminds me of Dick that played for Collingwood. Always injured due to a slight frame.

I am loving Saad though and Hallaran good finds.

As I said before I can't come to terms with Eade at this stage. There is no consistency, and it looks like players have lost confidence in themselves and his hard arse approach obviously not working. Sandison did not last long at Adelaide for running his own race and not listening to the players or anyone else. We have gone backwards and the club can sugar coat it all they like the good players that are not injured are not playing like they used to either.
I think Eade has to work with what he has got and work to players strengths not try to change them into something they are not.

Agree, and I would add handballs to people feet is a common practice with our team, I understand we are often under pressure but many times it is because of these poor handballs.

Rocket talked about getting the ball out early in pre season to up our skills, I am yet to see the fruit of that effort, he is now saying they need a tough pre season we'll hang on he did have them for all of last pre season. This season is a disaster in many aspects.
Our preseason was horrid. Jaeger, Nichols, Charlie and Ablett didn't have one. Prestia & Bennell tore calves and missed a month. Thompson and Lonergan in moon boots, Hall, Matera, Hallahan, Russell all missed a chunk with surgery and Day had a stomach cyst. This is when you get your fitness base. Not an excuse but a reason.

I thought one main difference yesterday was Hawthorn's composure in tight plays. The instinctively go backwards/sideways by hand or foot without looking as they know someone will have worked hard enough to get there.

The GCS on the other hand stop and prop which allows the "easy option" out to be closed down by the opposition. This tact often means the GCS kick long to an inferior option which results in a turnover and another inside 50.

Just an observation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back