No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was pleased with his game today. His skills are superb and I think he influenced some contests when he needed to. I hope he takes confidence from that and builds on it.
Can still count around 4 or 5 where he didn't put in the effort he needed to though that led to something good for the other team. On the one hand I'm sure that this happens with every player once or twice and goes unnoticed, but on the other hand if you're Jack you need to realise that the spotlight gives you an opportunity to rise and you need to take it every time.

That being said, he had some nice moments as usual.

Can still count around 4 or 5 where he didn't put in the effort he needed to though that led to something good for the other team. On the one hand I'm sure that this happens with every player once or twice and goes unnoticed, but on the other hand if you're Jack you need to realise that the spotlight gives you an opportunity to rise and you need to take it every time.

That being said, he had some nice moments as usual.

Look, I know where you're coming from, but it's unrealistic unfortunately. Hell, N Jones kicked a beautiful lace out pass to a Dogs player that cost us a goal at a pretty crucial time. He got chastised for it at the time (quite rightly) but if it was J Watts everyone would still be talking about it.

Look, I know where you're coming from, but it's unrealistic unfortunately. Hell, N Jones kicked a beautiful lace out pass to a Dogs player that cost us a goal at a pretty crucial time. He got chastised for it at the time (quite rightly) but if it was J Watts everyone would still be talking about it.
Skill errors are different though. They happen to the best of us, and sometimes just can't be helped. What can be helped though is letting an opposition mark it pretty much uncontested on their half-forward flank when you're standing about 5m away behind the pack.

I've never criticised Watts for a clanger or dropped mark, because I realise any player might have done the same. It's the effort things, the contests that aren't attended or are attended too late.

I've never criticised Watts for a clanger or dropped mark, because I realise any player might have done the same. It's the effort things, the contests that aren't attended or are attended too late.

Yeah fair enough, although I always think it's a bit harder to judge effort from the stands unless you've watched the player closely all day. But you might well have done that, and I agree that sometimes it seems pretty clear his effort can be improved. Still, he's not alone in that either.

Yeah fair enough, although I always think it's a bit harder to judge effort from the stands unless you've watched the player closely all day. But you might well have done that, and I agree that sometimes it seems pretty clear his effort can be improved. Still, he's not alone in that either.
I don't think you do have to watch him all day though, effort is one of those things you should expect every single time and you can't excuse its absence just because it might have been present at other times. Certainly not alone, true, but from experience I just reckon that when everyone's trying to stick it to you you should feel like doing 200 times as much work to stick it back up them and JW just doesn't seem to have that mindset. Keep in mind that I am one of his biggest fans on this forum because his skill set is still sublime and I get super excited seeing him receive the ball at half-back or anywhere in the corridor because he usually makes something happen. It's just that he could be doing the other things that make him one of our best players so easily.

I remember early in the first he got the ball on the wing and the crowd went quiet. Then he kicked a good kick over the top to a man breaking ahead and the crowd erupted in applause. I hope today does well for his confidence

Things that are guaranteed to happen this week, no matter how well Watts play:
  • He'll be accused of being soft
  • He'll be accused of being a waste of a #1 pick
  • He'll be subject to numerous infantile and disgraceful insults
  • He'll be blamed for every bad passage of play he has even slight involvement with
  • He'll be heckled
Yep, no, wrong. He'll cop the crap when he's crap and cop the praise when he's good, just like every other player. At least for me, anyway.

^^ this

I don't mind players making mistakes, as long as they play with heart and have a red hot go. That's always been my critism of Watts. Looked hungry today and used the ball well. If he plays like that every week, he'll lose a lot of his critics.

Did a few good things today but I thought he was pretty peripheral in general. Most endearing memories from the game are those rubbish 10 to 15 metre half pace leads on the wing he makes waving his arms about for a short kick. For a bloke apparently in possession of some great footy smarts, you'd think getting some separation between you and your opponent would be simple enough to learn.

Did a few good things today but I thought he was pretty peripheral in general. Most endearing memories from the game are those rubbish 10 to 15 metre half pace leads on the wing he makes waving his arms about for a short kick. For a bloke apparently in possession of some great footy smarts, you'd think getting some separation between you and your opponent would be simple enough to learn.
Yep. Really doesn't make the right leads. Goes up and down rather than laterally.

^^ this

I don't mind players making mistakes, as long as they play with heart and have a red hot go. That's always been my critism of Watts. Looked hungry today and used the ball well. If he plays like that every week, he'll lose a lot of his critics.
He did look hungry today! I only saw the last 1.5 quarters but he was damn near borderline aggressive! And the skills were on show, too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did well, creativity was a highlight - did have a couple of lapses but so did most players.

Got into some really good positions for secondary swithces I noticed but everytime Grimes/Fitz had the footy ....

I had a stupid dream last night where Jack Watts and Travis Cloke got together to teach each other things. Travis was teaching jack how to be better at contested marking while Jack was teaching travis how to be better at kicking

I had a stupid dream last night where Jack Watts and Travis Cloke got together to teach each other things. Travis was teaching jack how to be better at contested marking while Jack was teaching travis how to be better at kicking
You're right, that is stupid

Trade him. Find the club dumb enough to give us a first for him and trade him.
He was solid today, wasn't great, but didn't do a lot wrong imo

Typical Watts soft game. Usual people will say he was good, did a few nice things etc. Fact is in the second qtr where we needed someone to stand up and get the game back he had 0 disposals and no influence. His weak effort to tackle the Port player trying to half bump him was embarrassing! Time to drop yourself again Jack, maybe come back for the Lions game or something.

Provided a few nice leads today, took a few grabs, a few nice disposals, fumbled in the 50 and cost us a goal, went missing, picked up a fair few junk time possies, made a few weak attempts at tackles.

I'd like him out of the team for a while. 7 years in the system now and he still struggles to impact games and get involved. Wasn't our worst today but the cumulative effort season after season of trotting around picking up the odd possession out in the wings and doing precious little else is wearing thin. There are 5 or 6 other guys currently in the side who will be in the gun first, but if our next draft crop is comparable to the last two, we'll be replacing the spuds and probably Watts as well.

The quicker he's off the list the quicker we can let this era of nothingness go. Yup, he wasn't a lone soldier in the bugger all stakes today but he epitomises everything about us over the past 7 years.

You can all read that how you will. But its all pretty clear to me.

The quicker he's off the list the quicker we can let this era of nothingness go.

Yeah, if it was up to me that'd probably be the way I'd go as well. He needed to make a mark this season, but I haven't seen anything that indicates he's going to improve or be anything more than he is now.

Just don't see the point in waiting anymore. There's no one else to replace him other than so he might as well play out the season, but surely when we have a fully fit list with Petracca and other hardball winning/hard running young mids around (like Brayshaw and ostensibly ANB, Harmes, and the kinds of players we'll probably draft this year, etc) he has to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back