It's time to end this indigenous round farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are sick of having unsupported contrived social agendas rammed down their throats.

Get rid of indigenous round.

In what way does this round negatively affect you and when was it that you were elected the peoples speaker, how many people did you speak to for approval to speak in their name before you thought you would post here?

You see you Im neither for or against the indeginous round, but dont you see that you are ramming your social agenda down my throat?

An aboriginal person took a nice mark at the bombers/tigers game and someone shouted, "still just a f***** slave!". It got general laughter from the area of mixed supporters. This round does nothing to help but I enjoy it. Aboriginal culture should just be integrated into every round. Why not? It's not difficult. That way people don't feel like it's being forced upon them. Having a game like the indigenous all stars vs the whites is what sets us back more than anything.

Why have the round? Because generally Australians are pretty average of acknowledging the amazing culture(s) that have been in our country for 20,000+ years.

I love being able to celebrate this.

Aussie rules is also one of the only arenas in our country where Indigenous Australians are actually honoured and applauded. Undortunately this doesn't happen around all areas of our great country.

How about you actually enjoy the round and enjoy an opportunity to celebrate one of the most unique cultures in the world,

Do you think that races should be denied the ability to celebrate their cultural identity? Any why do you think you have be ability to decide how people express their identity?

I'm happy for people to celebrate their cultural identity in whatever way they see fit. But whether those activities should be promoted by the AFL is another question. If the AFL sanctions a celebration of a particular cultural identity then the participants need to conform to the standards held by the AFL. For example, war dances directed at opposition supporters should be judged in the same way as any other actions by players that might incite crowd incidents.

What if I told you - the more we make special games/allowances for one race, the more we segregate society and facilitate racism
I'd tell you you're full of s**t.

Watching the pregame display before the dream time game was great i thought, was a great display of a culture that is often spoken about but the majority know nothing about.
The whole round does a great job of recognising a community that has given so much to our game, if anything id like to see more, not less.

Australia in general has a long way to go to accept cultural and racial diversity. Indiginous having a marked day or even week is fine. If it stirs up people to be more bigoted in their views then people need to examine why they have such views to begin with.

The media fuels this, and has a lot to answer for, for its deliberate ignition of racial/cultural fear mongering only to have the audacity them to say "see, that's racist".

I disagree also with the lambasting of Australia Day every year. It should not serve as a platform to roast the current generation for the (inevitable) decision of one nation to inhabit another land.

I will get shot down but my thoughts:

Same issue with feminism-

By identifying something you are differentiating and drawing attention to it.

Why not push for equalism without prescription to identities?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These sorts of themed events which are forced upon sports fans by the AFL social engineers can backfire. Incidents such as the Goodes' one in this context are in the spotlight and actually increase divisiveness - because instead of race in a sporting event remaining in the background, it has been brought to the foreground. Most fans go to watch sport as an escapist relief from their daily life - not to get involved in politics (and the indigenous round is cynical feel-good politics).

Net result is a bonanza for the media and further/unnecessary polarization of public opinion (as evident from all of the comments in this and other similar threads) - to the detriment of (among other things) the sport of football.

Because we are all different - the point is we should be respected for our differences. What people are asking for is to be treated equally. So an Aboriginal footballer should be able to celebrate his/her background without copping abuse. A person from an Anglo background should be able to celebrate his/her background without copping abuse. A woman should be able to live without fear of domestic abuse or shouldn't have barriers in place in the workplace etc. The way I see it in order to have an equal society, we have to respect our differences - not turn a blind eye to them.

i wasn't on this site when this was first posted, but i have been thinking this for a while now, why make it be out there that they are from a different planet so to speak, are we not all trying to pump up we are all created equal? and where is the white Australian round too if that's the case and we are being separated....

The whole point is to draw attention to it. If we don't we just look the other way like you and so many others would like to do.

An aboriginal person took a nice mark at the bombers/tigers game and someone shouted, "still just a f***** slave!". It got general laughter from the area of mixed supporters. This round does nothing to help but I enjoy it. Aboriginal culture should just be integrated into every round. Why not? It's not difficult. That way people don't feel like it's being forced upon them. Having a game like the indigenous all stars vs the whites is what sets us back more than anything.
I very much doubt your version of events.

I think the AFL do a great job with it, but the real problem is the round gets hijacked by people with another agenda. This is how an Indigenous round divides, not unites. The headlines on Saturday were all about Adam Goodes and the "War Cry", you had to hire a private investigator to actually find out who won the game and who was best on ground! Therein lies the problem. The AFL take the game to Alice Springs, they have indigenous guernseys for each team, i think they are really trying very hard to make it a tribute to some of the best footballers who have played the game and encourage young aboriginal kids to take up the game. Eddie Betts goal against Freo is the reason we watch these great players, can we at least throw away the soap box next year and concentrate on the football?

Because we are all different - the point is we should be respected for our differences. What people are asking for is to be treated equally. So an Aboriginal footballer should be able to celebrate his/her background without copping abuse. A person from an Anglo background should be able to celebrate his/her background without copping abuse. A woman should be able to live without fear of domestic abuse or shouldn't have barriers in place in the workplace etc. The way I see it in order to have an equal society, we have to respect our differences - not turn a blind eye to them.

Are you saying that I am turning a blind eye to the differences that exist from aboriginal to Caucasian?

Can we please have an East Timorese round to respect the difference between Lin Jong and Adam goodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back