2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any more fanciful than Beams or Christensen?
Both totally different... both left for personal reasons. Ones father had cancer and the other apparently had some business off the sides. Honestly can't see any decent reason why Schulz would come here unless he hates Port which isn't the impression I get from Schulz

Both totally different... both left for personal reasons. Ones father had cancer and the other apparently had some business off the sides. Honestly can't see any decent reason why Schulz would come here...

Money. Same reason Dixon or Rance would come here.

Port don't win a final and offer Schulz $150-200K/year. We come in and offer him $350-400K/year over 2 years and there's our chance.

I would take Schulz if he was available for a reasonable price. He is a strong forward who still looks like he can contribute for a few more seasons without dominating. Would be a good foil for a developing tall forward to play with and learn from. A two or three goal a game target is probably exactly what our young guys need - take the best defender and keep the other defenders worried so that our young talls have time and space to develop. Schulz is a tough player too - despite size limitations and speed he always tries to make a contest of apply pressure.

(i) I wouldn't see the acquisition of Schulz as anything more than a temporary fix. Essentially buying time and hoping he'll help fast-track the development of some of our younger guys.

(ii) Problem with this is, you can have the supply but even some of the best will struggle if there isn't a functioning forward line. Conversely a good forward line can make sometimes shoddy supply look good.

Yeah I have no problems if, as you said earlier, due diligence is done ..however you touched on it above..Since our successful era, we seem to be investing a lot of time on hope.. We've picked up middle of the road talent which I'd place Schulz in...While some has been serviceable in the likes of West, Martin and Maguire,... McGuane and Paine still have a lot of repaying to do..Sadly most of our reject pick-ups have been subject to injury and that has been the killer... As far as the supply I'm still hopeful that Beams, Christensen & Robinson will improve on this....Much like I was when we went out and got Buchanan, Raines, Staker, Clarke, Maguire and Fevola....that left a very salty taste in the mouth... If the hope is built that all players should give us a return that Martin has given... then no problems. but I'm not confident based on past investments that will be the case.

Last edited:
Not against Schulz, I would think we would benefit from having a very experienced forward target, basically a coach on the forward line to teach Freeman, Close and co. He would be a good acquisition if he passed a medical.

Yep totally agree... The problem "trying to develop"... Yep they haven't come on... maybe we need to look why the development works at other clubs and is not working at ours and fix it..

Limiting ourselves to KPFs since we're currently discussing Schulz, the earliest any of those lads currently on our list were taken was #32. Here's a list of draft age KPFs taken with pick 32 or higher than have made it:

- Kurt Tippett

Development plays some part in it but ultimately it would be more unusual if we did actually turn one of them into a quality KPF.

I know everyone is calling for a KPF and KPD (and I'm in agreement) but what about Whitecross?

I know he's done his ACL twice in the same knee but when he is on the field he is a very good player.

I know everyone is calling for a KPF and KPD (and I'm in agreement) but what about Whitecross?

I know he's done his ACL twice in the same knee but when he is on the field he is a very good player.

Depends on how many list spots we have to fill. If we lose 3 or 4 KPPs though we need to think about list balance.

Would have been good to get him last year instead of using 4 very late draft picks.

Limiting ourselves to KPFs since we're currently discussing Schulz, the earliest any of those lads currently on our list were taken was #32. Here's a list of draft age KPFs taken with pick 32 or higher than have made it:

- Kurt Tippett

Development plays some part in it but ultimately it would be more unusual if we did actually turn one of them into a quality KPF.

McStay was taken with pick 25.

- Kurt Tippett

Yeah then again....Tex Walker was taken at Pick #75 (NSW Scholarship).. Alistair Lynch #50..Daniel Bradshaw #56 ...bit early but looks to be making it Ben Brown #50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those are either prelisted (no one else could get Walker so his pick was irrelevant) or well before modern recruiting or taken as a mature ager (Brown). None really stand as counterexamples.

Schulz would be super handy. Still kicked 22 goals from 9 games.

If we got him and Dixon, it'd be pretty handy. You'd have McStay as the third tall too.

If we got him and Dixon it'd be ******* awesome. I'm just preparing myself for the situation where we get Schulz and no one else.

Port don't win a final and offer Schulz $150-200K/year. We come in and offer him $350-400K/year over 2 years and there's our chance.
I'm sure there will be teams like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond, Fremantle and Essendon willing to pay more considering he could be the difference between winning a flag. If I put myself in Schulz position, why would I come to a bottom 4 team and be in the same situation when Port were in a rebuilding period. I'm sure if he had the opportunity to play in a finals team he would go to the best suited team that is in contention.

I would love to get him considering he doesn't get injured often and is durable, but I don't see us being a top 4 contender for the next couple of years. Then again dare to dream.

B: Harwood, Merrett, Clarke
HB: Beams, Rance, Rich
C: Hanley, Rockliff, Taylor
Fol: Martin, Beams, Redden
HF: Zorko, Dixon, Christensen
F: Green, Schulz, McStay

Last edited:
Taylor, Green and Zorko in the same team is not a long term option. Highest bidder gets one of them.

I think it is a long term option but not the way Leppa wants to use them. We can't play slow down footy with these three, we have to keep attacking and using the corridor. As soon as you start slowing it down and using the wings as your primary outlet these players get nullified way too easily.

Too short, name a premiership team with 3 short people in the forward line?

All three have potential to play a full season in the middle. Second rounder at this stage, we'll end up ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back