7100 stkilda members turn up to their home game

Remove this Banner Ad

Etihad scoreboards displayed a similar number (I think it was 8000ish) during our home game against Port adelaide. The full crowd was 22,586. It caused like a 100 page thread on the North board. It honestly does not make any sense. We have 40,000 members, 5k from Hobart, let's say a further 2k interstate and non-access. That means that around 25,000 members (of the 33k who live in Melbourne) didn't turn up and (if we're generous and say that Port had 2k fans there) that around 12k people who were at the stadium and were supporting North, aren't members.

So all in all, the numbers don't add up and I have no idea why they're showing it. My theory is that the number doesn't include reserve seat members and is only those with general access who have to swipe their card. Who knows. But the number just has to be dodgy.

St Kilda
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

all rely on other Victorian clubs to bump up their crowd averages. If they play West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast or GWS at home then their home crowd figures are usually shockingly bad.

All four should really just merge. North-West Melbourne Saints. That should allow the game to expand, and for Augathella, Jundah and Rubyvale to finally get their own teams.

St Kilda
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

all rely on other Victorian clubs to bump up their crowd averages. If they play West Coast, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Gold Coast or GWS at home then their home crowd figures are usually shockingly bad.
Let's go back to the last time Sydney were bad. 2002 season. Where your crowds started at 23k and then declined to around 16k. Only the ANZ stadium crowds drew decent numbers which was clearly a post Olympic intrigue.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_list?year=2002

The WA teams, Adelaide and Collingwood are probably the only sides who haven't put in some crap crowd numbers when down on form and not given a favourable fixture.

Those 4 teams you've mentioned haven't seen a lot of success recently (although North should be doing more) and haven't had favourable fixtures in terms of drawing crowds of TV viewers for a long time. I'd leave the stone throwing for someone else.

Etihad scoreboards displayed a similar number (I think it was 8000ish) during our home game against Port adelaide. The full crowd was 22,586. It caused like a 100 page thread on the North board. It honestly does not make any sense. We have 40,000 members, 5k from Hobart, let's say a further 2k interstate and non-access. That means that around 25,000 members (of the 33k who live in Melbourne) didn't turn up and (if we're generous and say that Port had 2k fans there) that around 12k people who were at the stadium and were supporting North, aren't members.

So all in all, the numbers don't add up and I have no idea why they're showing it. My theory is that the number doesn't include reserve seat members and is only those with general access who have to swipe their card. Who knows. But the number just has to be dodgy.

Victorians on BigFooty underestimate how many of their members buy the general admission/3-game/no access packages. Even for the big clubs there wouldn't be more than 20,000 members with a reserve seat for 11 games. Clubs deliberately don't break down the categories so they can crow about the total.

Presumably there are a decent number of members getting in on other tickets as well. Medallion club, corporate boxes etc and not entering on their memberships.

It's a bit different circumstances but I'm sure if they were to do this at the G there would be a heap of MFC members (both full and the dodgy ones) entering to the ground (and sitting) in the MCC members.

Yeah it's an odd number, we've had 7-8000 regularly this season. Wouldn't be just calling out the Saints on this as it wouldn't surprise me if this is a common thing.

Victorians on BigFooty underestimate how many of their members buy the general admission/3-game/no access packages. Even for the big clubs there wouldn't be more than 20,000 members with a reserve seat for 11 games. Clubs deliberately don't break down the categories so they can crow about the total.

This, plus reserve seat holders rarely attend all games. I know one rfc section was averaging just 50% attendance according to the club a few years ago

If every team's members bar GWS and Gold Coast showed up to their games all would be sold out, some members are in different packages an some just don't turn up, having a big member ship doesn't guarantee big turn outs, where was Richmond's 70k members against WCE? What about swans 48k members against Richmond? Too many ifs an buts, no point reading into it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St Kilda
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

We had 27k at the MCG in round 1 vs the GC. We are far from a big club but I think that is pretty reasonable considering where we are at.

Let's go back to the last time Sydney were bad. 2002 season. Where your crowds started at 23k and then declined to around 16k. Only the ANZ stadium crowds drew decent numbers which was clearly a post Olympic intrigue.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_list?year=2002

The WA teams, Adelaide and Collingwood are probably the only sides who haven't put in some crap crowd numbers when down on form and not given a favourable fixture.

Those 4 teams you've mentioned haven't seen a lot of success recently (although North should be doing more) and haven't had favourable fixtures in terms of drawing crowds of TV viewers for a long time. I'd leave the stone throwing for someone else.

Western Bulldogs and St Kilda were competing for premierships not too long ago and North Melbourne have been near or around about the top 8 for a number of years as well.

St Kilda
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

While true, I'm not sure it's as bad a thing as people make out....Surely it doesn't matter so much why/how they bring in a crowd so long as they do.

St Kilda
Melbourne
Western Bulldogs
North Melbourne

It's a wider issue. The crowds of the "big" victorian clubs are often not what they should be against interstate opposition when you consider the size of their fan-bases.

Collingwood for example got 33k vs Adelaide this year (the reverse fixture gets 50k), last year they got 33k vs Brisbane, 33 vs Port. North have got 20-22k for similar fixtures this year and last. Now Collingwood certainly has more than 10k more fans than North. I don't mean to pick on Collingwood because its a problem at literally every Vic club although for some reason the problem is much less prominent at Richmond and to a lesser extent Essendon.

There seems to be a heap of people with a "VFL" mentality down in Vic who only go to Vic derby "spectacles". It's a bad culture.

I am more referring to when you play home games against the 6 clubs that really have no support in Melbourne as that is a more true representation of your supporter base.

Fair enough. Manuka ~7500 TIO 4866 wouldn't have helped. Fremantle and Gold Coast were at home. ...

E: In fact, if those game had been played at the MCG as home games, our averages would be higher than Sydney.

Last edited:
I am more referring to when you play home games against the 6 clubs that really have no support in Melbourne as that is a more true representation of your supporter base.

No you're absolutely right to say our averages are boosted by home games against Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. But it's disingenuous to say the same isn't true of those big clubs themselves. Hawks vs GWS last year at MCG. 17,000. Is that a "true reflection" of the size of that club? No way. Vics have a Vic derby obsession.

We have four memberships but my wife and son rarely go. We actually used all four this week for the only time but the previous week we used none and the game before it was just me. Lots of people buy memberships for various reasons without the intention of going to many games. I have no idea if 7000 is a good number or not.

A couple of other factors from Saturday night. A large portion of the rail network coming from the south east was replaced with buses. It was also free entry for Bulldogs members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back