Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Understand your thinking but, personally, I'd rather see him play again.

Last night would have been a big confidence fill-up for Clark (and the club) and I'd like to see him try and further build on it.

The fact he rucked a bit last night, as bulletproof mentioned, is a promising sign that both he and the coaches believe in him and his body.

He was moving well. Keep him out there and allow him to continue to find his touch I reckon

Fair enough. I'm just really edgy every time he comes crashing back down to earth.
I also cringe when he goes into the ruck but I guess they have to simply roll the dice. It would be bloody unreal to have him in this kind of form by the end of the season.
He, Hawkins and even Vardy knocking on the door at VFL level is something we haven't had since 2012 as Hawkins was not exactly 100% in 2013.

Id dont get this preoccupation with putting Blitz back to the VFL. The way he is moving , he will not go out of the AFL side any time soon.
To me till Vardy is ready he will be used in a #2 role blended with backline play. Just depends on how good Stanley is for us. Clark will chip in for minutes here or there , but not many thats for sure.
I think he's one who will benefit from a spell down there in the long-term.
He has improved a lot, but still plenty of work to do before Geelong can do without a decent first ruck for these part-timers.

Looks like missing again this week.
That would make it 5 games out due to injury.

Writing on the wall or merely a little bump in the road?

With Varcoe and Lumumba having played all 12 games this year, sure hope this one doesn't turn out to be yet another McIntosh fiasco all over again.

“Mitch won’t play this week. We’re being maybe a little bit cautious with Mitch but he and the club and the key decision makers are very aligned on what our ambitions are with Mitch and that’s for him to be a long-term player for the club,” Scott said.

“We just think there’s too great a risk in pushing him to come back to play footy before he’s absolutely ready.

“His physical preparation in the previous two years has been very limited so even though it’s tempting to have a player of his quality in our team we just don’t think it’s the right thing for him long-term.

“That’s the main thing driving our decision making this week. Hopefully things progress in the next seven days and we can have him available the week after.”
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...rfield-situation/story-fnjuhrhu-1227421599604

be fine if we're talking about a bloke Stanley's age, be extra cautious considering we have him for potentially the next 8 seasons but Clark is 28, he's only got a couple of years of top flight footy left in him.

Testing times.
27 actually.

be fine if we're talking about a bloke Stanley's age, be extra cautious considering we have him for potentially the next 8 seasons but Clark is 28, he's only got a couple of years of top flight footy left in him.

Testing times.
Stanley is 24 Clark is 27 your maths doesn't add up. 5 years off.

Testing times.
we paid overs
collingwood won in that deal

but varcoe has enjoyed the new environment

Varcoe was class…(even though many couldn't see it )....just didn't produce often enough at Geelong for varying reasons…injury recovery being the main issue.

The Pies have done well there no doubt. We are a better side with Clark in it….lets make an assessment on his worth at seasons end, rather than commenting prematurely now.

Varcoe was class…(even though many couldn't see it )....just didn't produce often enough at Geelong for varying reasons…injury recovery being the main issue.

The Pies have done well there no doubt. We are a better side with Clark in it….lets make an assessment on his worth at seasons end, rather than commenting prematurely now.

i doubt he will play more than 6 games for rest of year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be right…I had 15 games in my head as satisfactory for his first year back…may not get there…but we have seen he can play….

yeah, but too many people here didnt appreciate varcoe

Way too many…...

Was anyone saying we paid overs when we did the deal?

Even at the time of the trade , the comment was like it could be a big win or a wash out.
Can he get back to playing regular footy? I wonder cause it seem to me those early games when fresh are when he looked the best. So does the wear and tear of it just grind him down?

But on the club often used..."Cautious approach" ... I understand the want... but have we seen the benefit of it yet. If Menz comes back and starts to play after this approach ...does the club start taking a 18 month approach to knees? Obviously the health of players is not the area to say ..who dares wins , but is being extra cautious showing that it works?

Even at the time of the trade , the comment was like it could be a big win or a wash out.
Can he get back to playing regular footy? I wonder cause it seem to me those early games when fresh are when he looked the best. So does the wear and tear of it just grind him down?

But on the club often used..."Cautious approach" ... I understand the want... but have we seen the benefit of it yet. If Menz comes back and starts to play after this approach ...does the club start taking a 18 month approach to knees? Obviously the health of players is not the area to say ..who dares wins , but is being extra cautious showing that it works?
My point was I don't recall anyone being unhappy with the trade at the time it was made. The benefit of hindsight at play now it seems.

My point was I don't recall anyone being unhappy with the trade at the time it was made. The benefit of hindsight at play now it seems.
I cant remember if there was any dissenting voices , plenty of neg stuff from Melb.

My memory of it , I was not wrapped in it because of the result it would have rel to Walker but I might be wrong.

wouldn't you think we have learnt out lesson though?
Honestly, the club sits on the most precarious position it has ever sat for the last decade. This is the kind of time you need shrewd business-minded individuals to make the tough calls. I'm all for Menzel, Cowan and one other remaining on the list but we should have said no to Delaney and Clark (not to mention HMac). Two spots on the list which could have been accommodated for promising young talents.
Many of you say "yeh but it's a gamble that will pay off" but look at our recent history when it comes to these kind of players . . . it just doesn't work out. The game is that fast, that physically demanding on the body that if you have the slightest issues to begin with, your going to be exploited no matter how much you train the house down during the pre season.

Posted that at the end of the year, I'm sure there are many others who felt the same way about the Clark signing.

Posted that at the end of the year, I'm sure there are many others who felt the same way about the Clark signing.
I recall your hesitation about Clark's durability Bobby. But did you ever say we were doing a bad deal at the time?

I recall your hesitation about Clark's durability Bobby. But did you ever say we were doing a bad deal at the time?

made it clear I was a lot more happier about Stanley than the Clark signing and that was simply due to Clark's battle with injuries over the years.
I haven't backed down from that either even when he was kicking goals as I knew he would break down at some point and it would give Walker a fair dinkum run at it.
The scary part about all of this, we are only seeing the tip of the ice berg here, Clark is going to be a problematic player over the next few years.

made it clear I was a lot more happier about Stanley than the Clark signing and that was simply due to Clark's battle with injuries over the years.
I haven't backed down from that either even when he was kicking goals as I knew he would break down at some point and it would give Walker a fair dinkum run at it.
The scary part about all of this, we are only seeing the tip of the ice berg here, Clark is going to be a problematic player over the next few years.
Only time will tell on the Clark trade, he is hot and cold for different reasons to varcoe. In the meantime, critical to retain Walker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back