• Collingwood

Votes: 134 36.9%
  • West Coast

Votes: 201 55.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 28 7.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You're in the same boat currently to be honest. Might change if Richmond manages to snag either Motlop or Treloar. To be honest, Gaff is good (having about as good a season as Ellis is), the rest Yeo, Sheed and and Duggan are solid prospects that Richmond has as well.
But we have a forward line. Who's your second best forward again?

But we have a forward line. Who's your second best forward again?

Who was Sydney's second best forward in 2012? Who was Geelong's second best forward in 2011, or 2009 or 2007? Who was Collingwood's second best forward in 2010? Who was West Coast's second best forward in 2006?

Answer? Someone who wasn't really a superstar.

And anyway, if Richmond's forwardline becomes Riewoldt, Vickery, Griffiths, Deledio, Motlop and a rotating midfielder like Martin or Edwards, I think that's good enough.

I find it amazing that we are even having the conversation of West Coast v Collingwood in the battle for fourth. Before the season you might have had the same conversation but have the word "last" on the end of it.

I'm not going to answer the OP's question given my obvious bias, but I think that both sides are going to suffer considerably in the second half of the year due to a combination of a tougher fixture and tiring/sore young lists.

Those teams you mentioned, Geelong, Sydney, West Coast, they had some of the best midfields of the modern era (Geelong/west coast) Sydney's midfield was also very good as well, coupled with great defences and styles of play.

I'm not sure if you have multiple Superstars hiding in your midfield I just haven't seen, including played of the level of Cousins, Judd, Kerr, GAJ, Bartel, Stevie J etc? to make up for having Riewoldt and spuds up forward.

Backline - Collingwood...easily.
Midfield - Can go either way
Ruck - Collingwood...or does NicNat get the better of two quality, promising ruckmen based on a couple of freakish seasons?
Forward line - WCE
I haven't really been taking this thread seriously, but I would rate our back line as excellent. Considering we have had our number one defender in MacKenzie out all year and have still conceeded about 100 less points than Collingwood I don't see how your defence "easily" wins. I would rate ours as better.

I think you have it all over us in the midfield.

Our rucks beat yours hands down IMO. We will see that play out when we play you in a few weeks.

Our forward line is aces!:D:thumbsu::rainbow:

The only area you have a clear advantage is the midfield, granted that is an important area.

I find it amazing that we are even having the conversation of West Coast v Collingwood in the battle for fourth. Before the season you might have had the same conversation but have the word "last" on the end of it.

I'm not going to answer the OP's question given my obvious bias, but I think that both sides are going to suffer considerably in the second half of the year due to a combination of a tougher fixture and tiring/sore young lists.
Yep, got a weird feeling Richmond or North will steal 4th. :/

West Coast and Collingwood 5th and 6th would still be good though.

Who do you have above them? Top 3 are clearly Freo, Hawks and Swans, but I don't think there's any doubt whatsoever that the 4th best team is either Collingwood or the Eagles, with maybe Richmond being in contention.

As far as this season goes, I think the winner of the Pies v Eagles game will almost certainly be who finishes 4th.
Think Pies are a long shot for top 4 this year. Have a tough few weeks ahead where we will likely drop off the top 4 pace but hopefully not lose too much %. From there it will become the battle with a big group of others to get one of the bottom spots in the 8. I cant see us top 4 but have a medium amount of confidence we will get a finals spot

Collingwood have the most ovverated youth in the league. There proven youth is good but people are basing it on all these top ten picks of theirs which could turn out duds. We have Yeo, sheed, duggan, darling, gaff, Lycett, McGovern and cripps who have proven they will be good players. Pies have witts, grundy, Elliot, Langdon, JDG, Adams and Oxley who have proven they will be good players. Both clubs have many unknown young talents.

There proven youth is good but people are basing it on all these top ten picks of theirs which could turn out duds.

I don't think that's the case. Most people are rating our current youngsters highly (ie, the ones on the park) and feel that the untried ones will only help the situation. As for them being duds - that's the reality of any unknown young player - but I would back our recruiting over the last 10 years against pretty much anyone so it's unlikely that there will be many duds in the group, if any at all.

Pies have witts, grundy, Elliot, Langdon, JDG, Adams and Oxley who have proven they will be good players.

Crisp, Frost, Williams, Broomhead, Fasolo and Seedsman all go alright too!

Collingwood have the most ovverated youth in the league. There proven youth is good but people are basing it on all these top ten picks of theirs which could turn out duds. We have Yeo, sheed, duggan, darling, gaff, Lycett, McGovern and cripps who have proven they will be good players. Pies have witts, grundy, Elliot, Langdon, JDG, Adams and Oxley who have proven they will be good players. Both clubs have many unknown young talents.

And Crisp, Seedsman, Williams, Broomhead, who received a rising star award nomination this year.

Face it eagles fans, their youth is better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want proven young talent then you are going too early on JDG and Oxley also. Both have only a handful of games to their name. Marley Williams and Fasolo would be better options

And Crisp, Seedsman, Williams, Broomhead, who received a rising star award nomination this year.

Face it eagles fans, their youth is better.
Nelson, lamb, Mciness and colledge. Their depth is better but our top end talent is better.

Would have hoped a 10 year member with over 15k posts would get a bit more respect from a mod than that, tbh.

It's a pertinent observation. The poster has been posting frequently in this thread downplaying our youth. We're not exactly threadbare in that department and it's not controversial to argue we're not that far away from yours.

Following that thread about Collingwood being a flag threat, I noticed a few West Coast supporters laughing it off, and making a mockery of it, fairly adamant that West Coast is ahead of Collingwood in potential and talent. I wanted to get more perspective on people's thinking as my views are obviously biased towards Collingwood.

All the attention has been on Collingwood not having beaten anyone of quality, but the same can be said about West Coast if you look closer at their fixture.

Who do you see as having a bigger impact in September? Or in 2016?

Supporters like Kaiserchief13 are not a reflection of most eagles fans.
Most eagles fans think he is a joke, and to be pitied when he carries on like this.
He is being a over arrogant tosser in this thread.
Collingwood has some extremely good young talent yet to debut, as well as the young talent playing in the 22 now.
They are well coached.
The vast majority of Eagles fans respect Collingwood the fact its in been ages since we beat you at the g reinforces that.
As for the moment we seem slightly ahead of you in our development, that can change pretty quickly.
Should be a good game at etihad soon though pity we cant play at the G though, one game a year there as a WCE supporter
is tough.

For a Richmond fan you sure seem like a cheerleader here for the Pies.

What are you insinuating here? That I'm a closet Collingwood fan?

Go look up my posting history, count the number of pro Richmond posts, then count the number of pro, oh, I don't know, any other club in the competition posts and then get back to me. I'll wait. Or go look up how many posts I've posted on the Richmond board and note than it outnumbers the amount of posts I've made on all of the other team boards combined. Or maybe I could just save you the time and post a picture of my Richmond membership? Or my Richmond guernsey? Maybe you could look up my posts defending Riewoldt against the ridiculous claims that he's a sook, or the claims that Cotchin can't kick? Why would I pretend to be a Collingwood fan but spend hours discussing who Richmond would take in their first round each year? Why on earth would a Collingwood fan have watched the entire debacle that was the match against Melbourne?

No no, I couldn't just have a genuine opinion that Collingwood's young list is impressive, I must be a secret fan or cheerleader or some bullcrap. I know you have to deal with a biased hacks and lot of trolls on this site, but in a shock of shocks, I think Collingwood's youth is genuinely better. What crazy times we live in!

Now for my next trick, I will claim that Hawthorn are much much better than any other side in the competition and that all the other teams in the competition range from being pretenders to being not quite good enough! Secretly I'm a Hawthorn fan!

Not cool man, not cool. As you would say, play the ball not the man.

It's a pertinent observation. The poster has been posting frequently in this thread downplaying our youth. We're not exactly threadbare in that department and it's not controversial to argue we're not that far away from yours.

Let me tell you a story. The year is 1998, it's round 22, and Richmond needs to play Melbourne to make the finals. I, all of nine years old are giddy with excitement, believing that Richmond can make the finals. After all, it's only Melbourne, who lost to Richmond earlier in the year. And then Richmond makes the finals! It has to play North or some team but I'm nine and full of optimism. I go to the match with my father who, as a Carlton fan had seen plenty of flags and was okay with not having a great team. But I was a kid, I hadn't really been old enough to experience my team play in a final. But this was the year folks, this was the year. I did all the sums and I know that Richmond has to either win or only lose by four points or less. It can lose and still make the finals! We got this I told myself. I wake up at like 6 am and I'm pumped.

Melbourne kicks 19 goals to 8, I start crying and my dad, who wasn't father of the year tries to console me but can't help rubbing it in. "Someone has to finish ninth!" He says. He's a Carlton fan, they exist to mock Richmond fans. My heart was broken into a thousand pieces. Every kid has experienced this moment, where football meant the world, and I experienced it, in the worst way possible. But I stayed loyal, because supporting a football team is not a rational hobby.

This is the person you're accusing of being a Collingwood fan.

And by the way, I haven't downplayed your youth as so much as tried to put it in the balanced context. Kaiserchief is an incredibly biased poster (royal eagle even admitted so) and I found his mindset that "my my god liek of course Yeo is betta than Crisp lol" to be really dumb.

West Coast have some really good kids. Collingwood's kids are in my opinion as good and there's more quantity of them as well. Hine is a wonderful recruiter and I have expected him to have picked some gems. He's the guy who picked Pendlebury using pick 5 when most people thought he was a mid tens pick and wondered whether his basketball skills would translate.

Nelson, lamb, Mciness and colledge. Their depth is better but our top end talent is better.

Kennedy, Moore, Frost, Maynard.

Last edited:
Because if you tag him he completely disappears.

Adams wins the hard ball, Gaff doesn't. Adams well ahead.

Gaff is tagged every game and overcomes the tag now.
Started late last year and continued this year.
He is also getting a lot more contested possessions to his game now.
Are you not watching him play ?

As for kaiserchief13 you must be seriously dumb to engage him in conversation.

Both teams tracking nicely. Wce further ahead. Both teams have had their tyres pumped up this year but will both fall away towards the end of the season.

Gaff is tagged every game and overcomes the tag now.
Started late last year and continued this year.
He is also getting a lot more contested possessions to his game now.
Are you not watching him play ?

As for kaiserchief13 you must be seriously dumb to engage him in conversation.

Gaff has really improved. But he's nearly a year older than Adams and I expect Adams to improve his outside skills once he develops more. Adams is a 21 year old who averages 11.4 contested disposals, 4.1 clearances and 26.8 disposals a game this year, that's elite for any age. Personally, Gaff is slightly ahead but I think it's close and depends on preferences, and I think if Adams keeps improving, he might become one of the best midfielders in the league.

Both teams going nicely and probably getting some extra attention with the best three teams a generally held consensus and the expected challengers this year inconsistent to poor so far.

West Coast more reliable up forward. Pies have superior top end talent in the midfield. Defensively pretty even with West Coast possibly more susceptible to having an injury in game or just getting collared by a humming offence.

Should be a good game in a few weeks all things being equal.

Back