The West Coast Defensive Web!

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast never get's featured on any of the TV shows and when we do finally do -- it's a "how to" for other teams on how they can beat us. SMH.

I doubt opposition coaches are tuning into these shows trying to get a tactical edge. None of this would be news to them. It just so happened Hardwick was the first to comment on it, so someone looked into it a bit more.

I doubt opposition coaches are tuning into these shows trying to get a tactical edge. None of this would be news to them. It just so happened Hardwick was the first to comment on it, so someone looked into it a bit more.
If coaches are tuning into On the Couch for opposition analysis, they're not doing their job properly.

I saw Richmond get the better of it once or twice, one resulting in a great slingshot goal. Like any zone, they take time to set up and if team's are fast and confident with the ball by foot they can penetrate and force West Coast players to break formation.

I saw Richmond get the better of it once or twice, one resulting in a great slingshot goal. Like any zone, they take time to set up and if team's are fast and confident with the ball by foot they can penetrate and force West Coast players to break formation.

The game against Hawthorn will be interesting then.

It's really not a web and what our players do defensively very much depends on what the opposition does. Still, its nice to see OTC actually break down some video and talk tactics. The show might be worth watching again if they do that on a regular basis.

I liked the analysis

It's a zone defence ...you'll get burnt sometimes but overall it's good so long as your midfield is creating pressure in their mids

What I do like is that it gets players to read the play as opposed to ball watching and just staying to stop a player

So far so good ...will be interesting to see how it goes against pies, Hawks, swamps and freo

Hinkley also said he would be looking into the team defence a lot more after playing WC as well.

Teams will be told to take more risks and play on quickly to try and move through the "web" and get over the back. On the few occasions opposition teams have got through it has led too easy goals.

It's no wonder we accounted for Essendon so easily as they are a very stop start/chip it around team that struggles to move the ball forward quickly.

Hawthorn will be the real challenge, as well as Fremantle when they are playing at their best because both teams have the ability to move the ball very quickly.

Sydney will be very interesting. They don't move the ball as quick imo so intrigued to see how the defence holds up against them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think the only way through is a) the long kick mentioned above (which is not a great option) or, b) quick kick in the middle then a wider kick out one of the edges. Only way it seems likely you could utilise the excess players on the outside of the web. Basically you either clear the zone completely or you bait the players into compressing, get the ball in the middle and encoruage the web to collapse inwards, before going diagonally outside and breaking that way.

Bloody Gerard Healey, giving away our secrets!
I don't think it's any great secret and I believe that he is over hyping it.

More simplistictly it's running a moving zone behind the ball, and we have been doing it all year.

It takes discipline and concentration to effect. Bennell was never able to get his head around the structures and fell out of favor as a result.

I'm watched the Bulldogs game three times and believe that Beveridge is playing out of the same song book.

Last edited:
Yeh it happens once or twice a game and we look ridiculous. But i guess you work on averages where if it works for 90% of a game you take the few times it breaks down

Its actually often a risky kick or a fumble from the opposition that causes a bit of chaotic play on that helps you break through

Very concerned with all this recent publicity and "eagles are the real deal" mumbo jumbo I'm reading.

Really hope Simpson keeps the players grounded and on point. I'm sure he will, but I'm sure we're all too familiar with falling flat on our faces after a great 1st half of the season.

Having said that, the analysis was top notch and I hopefully this Web can stand up to the likes of Freo, Syd & Hawks.

Last edited:
Nice to see a solid football analysis

Like that we've developed a plan and the players have bought into it.

Simpson and his coaching group are really starting to impress

Very concerned with all this recent publicity and "eagles are the real deal" mumbo jumbo I'm reading.

Really hope Simpson keeps the players grounded and on point. I'm sure he will, but I'm sure we're all too familiar with falling flat on our faces after a great 1st half of the season.

Having said that, the analysis was top notch and I hopefully this Web can stand up to the likes of Freo, Syd & Hawks.
I wouldn't worry, if you watch any of Adam's press conferences or interviews, he was clearly knocked about by last years momentum swings and losing streaks. He is well and truly motivated/governed by the fear of a losing streak happening again.

Simmo's snare!!

Personally I don't find Weagles offensive. I get more upset with Gerard when he calls us "the West Coast"
Yet Arsenal in the EPL are seen as being respected as they are called The Arsenal!

Was living in Melbourne in the late 80's when the Weagles name came on the scene. Have a song like ours and you are asking for it. Better name by the opposition that the Drug Rats of Essendon, the Tin Rattlers of North, the Poos and Wees of Hawthorn, etc. My take sense was that the name is used by opposition and most Melbourne commentators see the Eagles as opposition. Agree with comment that Gerard Healy has been showing a bit of man love for us most of this year.

Oh and his analysis was really good to see. Healy works well with Brown (Jonathon is good on analysis but poor calling a match) and Bunhead Dustan shows his hand most weeks with his bias. Not sure if I dislike his Kindergarten Bounce or his crap commentary a la Beefy Botham.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back