Night test match cricket planned for 2015 summer

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/892403.html

New Zealand Cricket has agreed to play a day-night Test against Australia as part of a deal that will resume regular cricket between the two neighbours after a gap of four years and provide a significant financial leg-up for New Zealand.

The inaugural, experimental day-night Test will be played at Adelaide Oval with a pink Kookaburra ball in the third match of the series between Australia and New Zealand, between November 27 and December 1.

The match will go ahead much to the delight of the CA chief executive James Sutherland, who has championed the concept for more than seven years. It will also be a source of rich dividends for the host broadcaster Channel Nine, whose chief executive David Gyngell expects television ratings and by extension advertising revenues far in excess of those offered for standard Test match days.

Not Happy Jan. Just because test match cricket isnt popular outside of England and Australia, doesnt mean we should pioneer this idea. Let the Indians put fireworks and lights on test matches.

Let's be honest, if test cricket as it is now doesn't excite people, putting it on at night or anything else they try isn't going to change that. It still is a 5 long days in a row. You either love it the way it is now, or you just prefer the fast T20.

Let's be honest, if test cricket as it is now doesn't excite people, putting it on at night or anything else they try isn't going to change that. It still is a 5 long days in a row. You either love it the way it is now, or you just prefer the fast T20.
Having Test cricket played at night isn't meant to excite people who are not interested in cricket. It is played at night to make it is easier to watch for people to watch, when they otherwise couldn't watch it because they were at work or school.

It's to make it easier to attend.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/892403.html

New Zealand Cricket has agreed to play a day-night Test against Australia as part of a deal that will resume regular cricket between the two neighbours after a gap of four years and provide a significant financial leg-up for New Zealand.

The inaugural, experimental day-night Test will be played at Adelaide Oval with a pink Kookaburra ball in the third match of the series between Australia and New Zealand, between November 27 and December 1.

The match will go ahead much to the delight of the CA chief executive James Sutherland, who has championed the concept for more than seven years. It will also be a source of rich dividends for the host broadcaster Channel Nine, whose chief executive David Gyngell expects television ratings and by extension advertising revenues far in excess of those offered for standard Test match days.

Not Happy Jan. Just because test match cricket isnt popular outside of England and Australia, doesnt mean we should pioneer this idea. Let the Indians put fireworks and lights on test matches.

I think you'll probably find that CA offered New Zealand (who do want Day night tests for bigger crowds/better timezone for India) this in exchange for selling their soul in the big three takeover

Australia takes the risk, New Zealand possibly reaps the benefit

Having Test cricket played at night isn't meant to excite people who are not interested in cricket. It is played at night to make it is easier to watch for people to watch, when they otherwise couldn't watch it because they were at work or school.

Adelaide will be the most watched of the 6 Tests simply because of the time.

A start time for the day-night Test is still under consideration and not yet confirmed, but one possible scenario would see play start at 2.30pm and run until 9.30pm Adelaide time.

That would mean play would be from 3pm to 10pm in Melbourne and Sydney, 2pm to 9pm in Brisbane, noon to 7pm in Perth and 5pm to midnight in New Zealand.

In another break from Test cricket tradition, the longer 40-minute interval, known as 'lunch' in day Tests, could now be held between the second and third sessions, and would be known as 'dinner'.

The 20-minute break for tea would retain the same name, but it would be held between the first and second sessions in the day-night Test.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...al-november-chappell-hadlee-trophy/2015-06-30

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm warming to it at certain venues only. Adelaide is perfect for it. Trouble will come when bigger $$$ offers come for TV rights to play more D/N.

I'd like to see it at the WACA. Perth's summers are perfect. But the east won't want tests finishing up at midnight their time.

I'm warming to it at certain venues only. Adelaide is perfect for it. Trouble will come when bigger $$$ offers come for TV rights to play more D/N.

Within 10 years, well within, every Australian Test will be day-night.

I'd like to see it at the WACA. Perth's summers are perfect. But the east won't want tests finishing up at midnight their time.

I would like it.
4 day Tests. Each night session goes for three and a half hours from 6-30 pm till 10 pm local time. So you still get same playing amount of time but condensed in 4 days, rather than five.

The day starts 1-30 pm local time.
This means a Perth Test on tv back in Melbourne is on our tv from 4-30 pm till 1 am.

Most people working can see almost as much as Test as they like.

I reckon it was always be day/night in Adelaide.
My gut feel is it will be 2 Tests each summer as day/night Tests.
They sound keen on Brisbane being the other venue.
Boxing Day Test in Melbourne is a lock to stay all day Test.
People on holidays already so day Tests perfect for that time.

I reckon it was always be day/night in Adelaide.
My gut feel is it will be 2 Tests each summer as day/night Tests.
They sound keen on Brisbane being the other venue.
Boxing Day Test in Melbourne is a lock to stay all day Test.
People on holidays already so day Tests perfect for that time.

so if we're playing a 6 Test summer, then 1 D/N Test in each series?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back