MRP / Trib. Geelong and the MRP

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I knew they had it in for us.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...od-guys-compared-to-some-20150629-gi0tsd.html

CHARGES LAID SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

Eq 1. Sydney, GWS* (15 charges)
3. Collingwood (17)
Eq 4. Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (18)
Eq 6. Adelaide, Carlton (19)
8. Gold Coast (20)
9. Brisbane (24)
10. Hawthorn (25)
11. Melbourne (27)
Eq 12. Richmond, St Kilda (28)
14. Essendon (30)
15. West Coast (32)
16. North Melbourne (34)
17. Geelong (35)
18. Fremantle (36)

MATCHES MISSED SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

1. Sydney (9)
Eq 2. Adelaide Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (12)
5. Collingwood (14)
6. GWS* (15)
7. Brisbane (17)
8. St Kilda (21)
Eq 9. Carlton, West Coast (23)
11. Hawthorn (25)
Eq 12. Fremantle, Gold Coast (26)
Eq 14. Essendon, Melbourne (27)
16. North Melbourne (29)
17. Richmond (30)
18. Geelong (33)

Geelong fare worst across both rankings. With 35 charges over the past four and a half years they are only one behind the Dockers. Their players have also missed a total of 33 matches over that period. Over the past season and a half their players have missed a total of five matches, all of them one-match bans. Over that period there have been only eight instances of players being charged.

Should be a main board post. Then sit back and watch the carnage.

To me it's like speeding fines. We can complain all day long about how unjust it is, but if you don't actually speed you don't get fined.

In 2007 we had ONE player reported and suspended during the entire season, and that was pretty marginal (Max Rooke versus Adelaide). So anyone who thinks we somehow need to play that way, we don't.

MATCHES MISSED SINCE 2011: BEST TO WORST

1. Sydney (9)
Eq 2. Adelaide Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs (12)
5. Collingwood (14)
6. GWS* (15)
7. Brisbane (17)
8. St Kilda (21)
Eq 9. Carlton, West Coast (23)
11. Hawthorn (25)
Eq 12. Fremantle, Gold Coast (26)
Eq 14. Essendon, Melbourne (27)
16. North Melbourne (29)
17. Richmond (30)
18. Geelong (33)

Geelong fare worst across both rankings. With 35 charges over the past four and a half years they are only one behind the Dockers. Their players have also missed a total of 33 matches over that period. Over the past season and a half their players have missed a total of five matches, all of them one-match bans. Over that period there have been only eight instances of players being charged.

Anyone able to list all the Geelong players that missed thru suspension and and how many games they missed ?
Obviously Steve Johnson will be listed 4 or 5 times for about 6 or 7 games.

To me it's like speeding fines. We can complain all day long about how unjust it is, but if you don't actually speed you don't get fined.

In 2007 we had ONE player reported and suspended during the entire season, and that was pretty marginal (Max Rooke versus Adelaide). So anyone who thinks we somehow need to play that way, we don't.
I'd love an objective speed camera like device to scrutinise alleged reportable incidents. We might have seen a very different set of numbers.

I'd love an objective speed camera like device to scrutinise alleged reportable incidents. We might have seen a very different set of numbers.

Of course, the key word is "objective".
The figures were distorted by the grossly incompetent and inconsistent performance of the MRP 2011-14, and by the carryover penalties which occasionally had a long-term effect despite the fact that they stemmed from earlier incorrect decisions.

No doubt. But to look at someone like Steve Johnson, he could have avoided most of his indiscretions pretty easily.
Certainly some, perhaps most, definitely not all. He is a prime case of one that has been dealt with inconsistently under the MRP system.

Considering the Hawks players have been involved in plenty of behind the play gutless sniping, it appears that the speed camera gets turned off a fair bit when they're playing.

I had noticed that the Cats had been noticeably absent from the MRP news over the past couple of years. Although the numbers above look shocking for the Cats, don't forget that similar incidents - high bumps etc.- were by and large randomly penalised throughout the years of MRP getting tough on the head high- e.g. incidents like Hodge breaking an opponent's jaw were not penalised while a Taylor Hunt accidental head clash during a block was given a week.

"Objective" being the operative word, here, as FredLeDeux has said above. The speed camera device would be covered by the 3 field umpires, backed up by a 4th umpire supposedly looking out for behind-play misdemeanors, and the Hawks-supporter who is in charge of going through footage of the games and selecting incidents to be given to the MRP for judgement. Perhaps the MRP had given him a time limit for the amount of edits he was allowed to produce from the 9 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh s**t! the dawks board is right for once, Sydney do get a charmed run.
Yeah, but they're wrong about Geelong getting a charmed run and wrong about Hawthorn having a tough one!

Would be interesting to see how the list would look if the existing MRP gradings were applied to SJ incidents past.
Would drag the number of games missed down a fair way

Two words. Steven Johnson. How many of those games would be his?
The annoying thing is that now many of SJ's would be reprimands.
And Selwood missed a month for whacking Guerra.

But the Swans thing is a ******* disgrace

Two words. Steven Johnson. How many of those games would be his?
The annoying thing is that now many of SJ's would be reprimands.
And Selwood missed a month for whacking Guerra.

But the Swans thing is a ******* disgrace

Actually, I thought the worst discrepancy is that of Freo; fewer than 2/3 citings result in a suspension.
Ballantyne has been cited 7 times.

To an extent.

We have Stevie J which will skew any team's figures. But I also believe our guys have been pinged for stupid things when players from other clubs would get off Scott free. Call it indirect equalisation?

and the explanation was stupider than the freaking charge:

Fraser said the elder Selwood could have had a neck or rib injury. “We don't believe he has intentionally pushed an injured player, but he should know that with that collision that there's the potential for an injury to be there.”

When the brothers Selwood collided at Subiaco, the by-play which followed, Joel's subsequent push of Adam as both picked themselves up from the turf, attracted more amusement than any concern, and some quips along the lines of both being sent to their bedrooms by their parents.
It's fair to say the MRP didn't see the humour. They deemed the retaliation reckless, slapped him with an 80-point penalty, inflated to 112 due to a bad record, a guilty plea reducing the penalty to a reprimand and 84 carry-over points.

Selwood is still in contention for the Brownlow Medal, as the base penalty was under 100 points, but Geelong still was placed in a no-win situation had it decided to challenge the ruling at the tribunal, the risk that their captain and arguably most important player missed Friday night's crucial match against St Kilda.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/selwood-ruling-misses-the-mark-20120814-245r0.html

NB: I'm fairly certain that the 'bad record' was the unproven Guerra incident.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back