Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sav's still got it.

I played that rubbish AFL 9s during the summer over here - Was good to do something over the summer but it's frustrating as all hell with the no contact / ball hit the ground = turnover ... anyway, I digress..

One of the matches we played this massive bloke walks towards me to take his position and I comment to my teammate that 'this bloke looks like Sav Rocca....' - As he got closer we both realised pretty quick that it bloody was Sav Rocca... and I ended up being his opponent. Kicked one goal against him but he kicked plenty on me and it was pretty much the only time in the season when I was glad it was no contact!

He still has a massive leap on him, especially considering how huge (not fat) he is....

Any chance that campaigner would learn the anthem....

The trend among these faux impressarios has been to sing the anthem off-key. This is the first time I have heard someone do both that and also sing the wrong words. There was some idea that maybe he was singing the second verse. This was not the case, here are the first and second verses :

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.
Verse 2
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.

Only one singer should ever belt out the national anthem...

2697712.jpg

The trend among these faux impressarios has been to sing the anthem off-key. This is the first time I have heard someone do both that and also sing the wrong words. There was some idea that maybe he was singing the second verse. This was not the case, here are the first and second verses :

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
Verse 2
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
Advance Australia Fair.
I know these lyrics are correct but...I've always believed it would make more sense to sing
"...On history's stage, let every page Advance Australia Fair"
Wouldn't it?

FF is far and away the hardest position to play in modern game. Small forward is little more than a resting for mids with a good goal sense. If anything, the decreasing reliance on a big FF to kick is bag is making the small's job easier than it ever has been, getting used a targets rather than having a extreme reliance on crumbing and loose ball.

They get the plaudits for it too. Sarge kicks a bag in a game and we write it off as "good, that's what we pay him for", Wingard or Gray do it and it is more like "OMFG! How good is this guy? Out and out gun!". Small forwards are very much appreciate and recognised.

It is shame it is so in vogue for everyone under 195cm to have midfield time (even a few over). Milne wouldn't have been half the player he was if he was forced to do that in the prime of his career. Robbing Peter to pay Paul, but what would we know? We only sit our arse on a chair and follow a sport religiously for a great deal of our lives. Obviously the dudes in charge who like to spend their free time watching soccer or visiting art galleries know exactly what they are doing.

FF is far and away the hardest position to play in modern game. Small forward is little more than a resting for mids with a good goal sense. If anything, the decreasing reliance on a big FF to kick is bag is making the small's job easier than it ever has been, getting used a targets rather than having a extreme reliance on crumbing and loose ball.

They get the plaudits for it too. Sarge kicks a bag in a game and we write it off as "good, that's what we pay him for", Wingard or Gray do it and it is more like "OMFG! How good is this guy? Out and out gun!". Small forwards are very much appreciate and recognised.

It is shame it is so in vogue for everyone under 195cm to have midfield time (even a few over). Milne wouldn't have been half the player he was if he was forced to do that in the prime of his career. Robbing Peter to pay Paul, but what would we know? We only sit our arse on a chair and follow a sport religiously for a great deal of our lives. Obviously the dudes in charge who like to spend their free time watching soccer or visiting art galleries know exactly what they are doing.

I concur that there's been a bit of a trend to look for multi-dimensional players in recent years, it's a bit of a furphy to suggest that it goes for all small forwards. Off the top of my head, the following spend negligible time in any other role.

Betts
Breust
Ballantyne
Walters
Elliott
Nahas
Garlett
Cameron
Neade
Cripps
Hill

Know from a work mate that the last name can be tracked down to the early 1900's
Did some research re Wanganeen ....
Robert Mckenzie Wanganeen (1896-1975), Aboriginal community leader, was born on 23 February 1896 at Point Pearce Mission Station, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia, fifth of ten children of Aboriginal parents Robert Wanganeen, labourer, and his wife Susan, née Hughes. Young Robert's grandfather James Wanganeen, a Maraura man from the Upper Murray, had been sent to the Poonindie Mission Station, near Port Lincoln, in the early 1850s after attending the Native School Establishment in Adelaide. Robert senior was born at Poonindie in 1868 but, as a youth, had moved to Point Pearce where he met and married in 1886 Susan, a Narrunga woman.
Interesting reading.........
More ...... http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/wanganeen-robert-mckenzie-11957

Didn't understand how the decision was made to have Modra at the goalfront over Hodgs. Obviously the right decision eventually as Modra was a champion but in 1992 Hodges kicked 48 goals in 13 games, Modra 21 in 8. Modra of course had a breakout year in 1993 kicking 129 goals and was naturally first choice from then. What I don't see is what Hodges did wrong to lose the FF position. Age could not have come into it as he was only 1 year older than Modra.
Considering he never played more than 13 games in an AFL season, was he injured?
Scotty Hodges was injured before round 1 in 1993 and Mods kicked 10 in that game. Unfortunately, Wrinkles was too stubborn to play them both in the same forward line.

Only one singer should ever belt out the national anthem...

2697712.jpg
And only one I have heard sing the second verse. Her singing of the 2 verses at the opening ceremony of the Olympics was outstanding. I went to the 2nd of the 3 rehersal nights and was super impressed watching it live and it came up pretty good on TV at the opening ceremony.

Should get her to do the national anthem - both verses - when we host the ANZAC round home game next year.

F
Did some research re Wanganeen ....
Robert Mckenzie Wanganeen (1896-1975), Aboriginal community leader, was born on 23 February 1896 at Point Pearce Mission Station, Yorke Peninsula, South Australia, fifth of ten children of Aboriginal parents Robert Wanganeen, labourer, and his wife Susan, née Hughes. Young Robert's grandfather James Wanganeen, a Maraura man from the Upper Murray, had been sent to the Poonindie Mission Station, near Port Lincoln, in the early 1850s after attending the Native School Establishment in Adelaide. Robert senior was born at Poonindie in 1868 but, as a youth, had moved to Point Pearce where he met and married in 1886 Susan, a Narrunga woman.
Interesting reading.........
More ...... http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/wanganeen-robert-mckenzie-11957
Good research although Young Gavin only took the Wanganeen name when his mother ( a Davey ) married a Wanganeen . Gavs dad I know , he's a white man named Gary Turnbull , good footballer too but Gavins maternal grandfather was a country legend around Ceduna Dick Davey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F
Good research although Young Gavin only took the Wanganeen name when his mother ( a Davey ) married a Wanganeen . Gavs dad I know , he's a white man named Gary Turnbull , good footballer too but Gavins maternal grandfather was a country legend around Ceduna Dick Davey
I know the story there but was not going to say .. the name was Gary Turbill I think and his brother played for Norwood

Haha. I think you'll find a lot of Crows players are spoilt brats who just don't have time for anybody. I know people who work with them recording promotional and charity stuff and you're lucky if whichever no name player they send out says hello/goodbye/please/thankyou and can go potty by themselves.

Our guys in contrast are great, as we know, which is why we've killed them in the media the last 3 years.

Hodges has recently mentioned in the news that himself and Modra got along really well on and off the field and reckons the partnership with Mods in the forward line could've worked really well if it was given more of a chance. Now Modra has backed that up it seems as clear as day that the fact Hodges came from Port was a sticking point for Cornesy. Pretty sad that his hate for Port arguably cost him an AFL premiership.
Team for all south australians except if you're black n white

From Savannah Farms website;

Media Release Tuesday, 30 June 2015
Fraudulent use of local producer brand at a SA Food Event promoting local food. ‪#‎Awkward‬
In an ironic twist, an award winning local food product which had been requested specifically to be on the menu as a showcase product for a social media training day around local food, has highlighted food provenance issues in the food system. After advertising and printing the menu with the branded product on it, the venue had not purchased
#balance

Haha. I think you'll find a lot of Crows players are spoilt brats who just don't have time for anybody. I know people who work with them recording promotional and charity stuff and you're lucky if whichever no name player they send out says hello/goodbye/please/thankyou and can go potty by themselves.

Our guys in contrast are great, as we know, which is why we've killed them in the media the last 3 years.

A work colleague took her son to a cows "train with the kids" event last night. Now she is a cows supporter, however reported back today that Wing nut Walker is, in her words a "douchebag". Apparently the whole event for him was a chore and that he was far from engaging to both parents and the kids. She produced a photo of him and her son and he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. She said Van Berlo was totally different. When you pi** off your own supporters like this, it does appear that Walker may well be a tosser. I draw a comparison with our players and our skipper and it does appear that there is no comparison.

A work colleague took her son to a cows "train with the kids" event last night. Now she is a cows supporter, however reported back today that Wing nut Walker is, in her words a "douchebag". Apparently the whole event for him was a chore and that he was far from engaging to both parents and the kids. She produced a photo of him and her son and he looked like he wanted to be somewhere else. She said Van Berlo was totally different. When you pi** off your own supporters like this, it does appear that Walker may well be a tosser. I draw a comparison with our players and our skipper and it does appear that there is no comparison.
He seems to be spending so much time trying to justify himself on Twitter and doesn't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the greater number of people who answer will have their tongues planted firmly in his rectal cavity. As a result he believes that everything he says is of Poet Laureate worth and anyone who disagrees with him has mental problems. Coaches would be fined and sent "please answer" letters for the stuff he puts up but he seems to be totally irresponsible with his opinions.

I know the story there but was not going to say .. the name was Gary Turbill I think and his brother played for Norwood

The Turbill who played for the deadlegs was Greg, he was a rover when Balme was coach, and was a very good player, he may have even played state footy.
I worked with his brother Gary at Kent town in the very early 80's, I'm not disputing he is Wangas biological father, but he would have been very young when Gavin was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back