Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to lose Talia, but if he did want to look for other opportunities and Brisbane made him a nice offer, I could see a Talia for Mayes swap benefitting both clubs. Maybe we do some sort of a pick swap too, but minor things can be worried about later.

They are desperate for a young key back with a bit of experience already and we could use another silky skilled, versatile player who can be a dangerous forward for us and rotate through the middle. After recruiting Beams, Christensen etc and drafting Taylor, Zorko and co, they have a few of the Mayes types already, but are lacking key backs. I know we aren't flush with depth in this area, but you have to give something to get something and we are still a chance of getting a mature KPD in the off-season too.

Potential win / win.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. However we shouldn't just look at Mayes. I would also look hard at Jack Redden. Only 24, 189cm and 89kg. Is off contract at the end of 2016 however Lions have been trying to extend his contract already.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/la...from-rival-clubs/story-fndv7pj3-1227422110762
Lachie Henderson likely to remain at Carlton despite interest from rival clubs

I think in light of recent events regarding Carlisle we should once again pursue Henderson. CHF still remains as a big hole in our list particularly as we all want Boydy and Stringer deeper and both of them don't have the tank to play at CHF. Stringer especially needs to remain deep in the forward line if we want to maximise his effectiveness when pinch hitting in the midfield. He simply cannot play CHF then push into the guts. Its simply asking far to much for him to play both these roles effectively.

We could go the cheaper option of say a Josh Walker (must be my billionth time I have mentioned him in this thread) and the good thing is, is that he could provide a ruck chop out (with Tom Boyd) to assist roughy. Having 3 players able to play in the ruck is pretty good coverage if one were to go down/subbed off. Also it allows us to keep our first rounder (which I'm a huge fan of doing). He probably keeps Boydy out of the ruck for longer too which we all prefer. I can't name any other CHF/ruck chop out options that might be gettable. Fronk has mention Sam day on occasion so hes a possibility too although his cost would be more.

However Henderson gives us a superior CHF option plus defensive cover if our young KPD's are getting smashed. But we lose our first rounder + Boydy would have to play a fair amount of ruck time, possibly Bev could also throw Roberts in the ruck at stages considering Bev doesn't really care about hitouts.

I hope we get one of them either Henderson or a CHF/2nd ruck which are pretty difficult too find.

Rhy Stanley not looking so bad now is he.

Or we don't rate him high enough to make resigning him a priority.

I would have thought that we'd want one or both of Talia and Roberts to sign on for next year.... I think they are both out of contract at the end of the year arent they...

Had lunch with a few colleagues I haven't seen in a few months today. Picked up some interesting things.

• GWS offered us a pick in the late teens a few years back for Woody. Seemed like they were paying overs back then, we denied them and re-signed him. Win.
  • Griffen struggling with off field stuff big time. Not in a good head space at all. Has had multiple meetings with senior leadership at the Giant Western Shitstack, all to no avail so far. In danger of retiring early if certain things aren't sorted soon.
  • We are into Aiden Corr. Made an offer last year and have had contact with his management again this year.
  • Giants want to look at a few of our young talls, including Talia and Campbell. Another name mentioned was Hunter.
  • A few behind the scenes were impressed with how the clubs handled our trade. Make no mistake, there is no existing bad blood between management. Only mutual respect. Both clubs got what they needed out of the deal and saw it as more than equitable.

One more thing completely unrelated to the above, GWS have enough cash in the bank to offer Kreuzer, Bartel, Hawkins and Suckling big deals. Look for them to be busy apparently.

Last edited:
Had lunch with a few colleagues I haven't seen in a few months today. Picked up some interesting things.

• GWS offered us a pick in the late teens a few years back for Woody. Seemed like they were paying overs back then, we denied them and resigned him. Win.
  • Griffen struggling with off field stuff big time. Not in a good head space at all. Has had multiple meetings with senior leadership at the Giant Western Shitstack, all to no avail so far. In danger of retiring early if certain things aren't sorted soon.
  • We are into Aiden Corr. Made an offer last year and have had contact with his management again this year.
  • Giants want to look at a few of our young talls, including Talia and Campbell. Another name mentioned was Hunter.
  • A few behind the scenes were impressed with how the clubs handled our trade. Make no mistake, there is no existing bad blood between management. Only mutual respect. Both clubs got what they needed out of the deal and saw it as more than equitable.

One more thing completely unrelated to the above, GWS have enough cash in the bank to offer Kreuzer, Bartel, Hawkins and Suckling big deals. Look for them to be busy apparently.
All four or just one of them ?
Thanks for the info.

• GWS offered us a pick in the late teens a few years back for Woody. Seemed like they were paying overs back then, we denied them and resigned him. Win.

Cheers Dale, some great info there.

• Bloody happy in hindsight that we kept woody although I am sure many of us would have argued to trade woody for a first rounder if we had known. Well done Macca and list management crew.
  • Corr makes sense, has great closing speed so he can play tall and small and that would suit our zone defence. 2nd rounder would be his value probably.
  • Jeez I hate how griff left the club (and him for it) but I can't deny the tinge of sadness there. Something must not be right. Hope one day he could reconcile with the club. Still Hurts!!
  • Talia and Campbell make sense for GWS, particularly Campbell as they could probably fit him in their forward line/2nd ruck as their KPFs are particularly mobile. Worthy target for them!!
How the hell do they get Hawkins as well, that would be just unfair. By gosh when does their cap space go away. Kruezer makes sense for them too.

Last edited:

Cheers D4C. Love your reports.

Suspected something was up with Griffen. He's never worn his heart on his sleeve, but he just looks dead in the eyes at the moment. Would be a sad way to go out, he was a champion for us.

I don't see what hunter offers them at all to be honest.

Not a corr fan either. He's been towelled up at afl and neafl levels ever time I've seen him.

Campbell is better than their young ruckmen IMO.

If talia moves, id be shocked if it's not to Adelaide.

Thanks for the tidbits Dale. Always love it.

All four or just one of them ?
Thanks for the info.
They have an inflated cap/list still, so there's a fair bit of room there. I doubt they'd go after all 4. Apparently its very possible though. Few boys at GWS skating on thin ice. The classic "My s**t doesn't stink" attitude.

They have an inflated cap/list still, so there's a fair bit of room there. I doubt they'd go after all 4. Apparently its very possible though. Few boys at GWS skating on thin ice. The classic "My s**t doesn't stink" attitude.
Names! We need names Dale!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see what hunter offers them at all to be honest.

Not a corr fan either. He's been towelled up at afl and neafl levels ever time I've seen him.

Campbell is better than their young ruckmen IMO.

If talia moves, id be shocked if it's not to Adelaide.

Thanks for the tidbits Dale. Always love it.
Yeah, I questioned the Talia interest. Not sure what he has that they don't already tbh.
Hate to say it, but JMac is a fan of Corr. Must see something there.
Hunter was seen as someone who could work at HF or HB for them. Young Hampton may not be a guarantee of hanging around, Shaw is on the wrong side of 28 and Bugg and Palmer have some of the shittest disposal on the list yet hold their spots regularly. Need a few there to push the limits. They were very disappointed with Lamb in this regard. Lachie was seen as quality depth with a high possibility for improvement.

Nah. Not for me. Pretty bland footballer. We've got a better version of him in Mitch Wallis.

Any other moneyball type of selections that wouldn't cost a first rounder but could improve best 22/depth being considered. BTW Sorry for my constant questioning of our list management :p

That was my final question I promise.

Last edited:
Any other moneyball type of selections that wouldn't cost a first rounder but could improve best 22/depth being considered. BTW Sorry for my constant questioning of our list management :p

That was my final question I promise.
From GWS? I'm not sure sorry mate.

From GWS? I'm not sure sorry mate.

Cheers for all your info. Hampton with his pace and rebound is a nice option I have thought about a couple of times that might be on the way out considering hes been playing NEAFL mostly. Although if he doesn't fit in culturally with what we are trying to build there is little point bringing him in.

I find the Griffen stuff the most intriguing. If he keeps playing s**t footy then retires early that's a massive utensil up for GWS. Still don't understand why the media is going easy on them/him for that deal while we/Boyd get it every week.

Maybe that's why I guess. Would love some more info on it all.

Cheers for all your info. Hampton with his pace and rebound is a nice option I have thought about a couple of times that might be on the way out considering hes been playing NEAFL mostly. Although if he doesn't fit in culturally with what we are trying to build there is little point bringing him in.
Absolutely no way would I want Hampton. JJ, wood and Webb much much better.

• GWS offered us a pick in the late teens a few years back for Woody. Seemed like they were paying overs back then, we denied them and re-signed him. Win.

Good stuff mate, cheers for that.
  • I have had it in the back of my head for ages that Kevin Sheedy was really into Wood so it's nice to see this thought, either completely made up or something I read or heard somewhere, now that it's confirmed it's glad to know that back of the mind thought came from somewhere that was true.
  • I was arguing this point last year during all the chaos - among all the vitriol for Griffen last year and without blowing my own trumpet I don't recall too many others than myself actually equating the significance of Griffen's off-field struggle with the rather massive move of a captain walking out on his club. That isn't a think that just happens, there has to be a reason - his headspace, clearly. I wish him well in that regard
  • Pretty sure we were into him at draft time (would have taken him if he slipped to our Hrovat pick?) and makes sense with our desire to recruit young fringe key defenders
  • The powerbrokers at each club will last longer than any individual player, and that's the important thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back