Preview Brutally honest preview of delists and trades for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Heir_Apparent

Team Captain
May 3, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
I got to thinking where are we going to make space for the end of this year.

I've always believed you have to take emotion out of it and be a little bit harsh about these things.

So after saying that, here is my list of players on the chopping block so far as we just pass the halfway point of 2015.

Obvious:
Keeffe and Thomas - I don't think we have a choice and we knew this from day 1.

Unlucky:
T. Armstrong - while he is a great VFL player, time and time again he just doesn't have the frame to deal with AFL players.

Trade Bait:
Clinton Young - Injury prone and when he played I was never sold, he's 29 at seasons end and still has some currency.
Sam Dwyer - Love Sam a lot, I just don't think his age is doing anything for this young developing team, plus the emergence of Broomhead the last 2 weeks and guys like Oxley standing up, poor Sam can't even break into our 22 anyway.

The shocker:
Corey Gault - The emergence of Darcy Moore and excellent growth of Frost will give the coaches confidence of stocks for supporting Cloke, White, Reid (when fit) and Brown.
Gault would be very attractive for most clubs if the right trade came along...*cough Dangerfield

Anyway a little bit of harsh fun, usually 3-5 players end up getting moved along to make room for the draft, so I've done my crystal ball, your turn guys.

Young has currency? Gault attractive for most clubs?

giphy.gif

I got to thinking where are we going to make space for the end of this year.

I've always believed you have to take emotion out of it and be a little bit harsh about these things.

So after saying that, here is my list of players on the chopping block so far as we just pass the halfway point of 2015.

Obvious:
Keeffe and Thomas - I don't think we have a choice and we knew this from day 1.

Unlucky:
T. Armstrong - while he is a great VFL player, time and time again he just doesn't have the frame to deal with AFL players.

Trade Bait:
Clinton Young - Injury prone and when he played I was never sold, he's 29 at seasons end and still has some currency.
Sam Dwyer - Love Sam a lot, I just don't think his age is doing anything for this young developing team, plus the emergence of Broomhead the last 2 weeks and guys like Oxley standing up, poor Sam can't even break into our 22 anyway.

The shocker:
Corey Gault - The emergence of Darcy Moore and excellent growth of Frost will give the coaches confidence of stocks for supporting Cloke, White, Reid (when fit) and Brown.
Gault would be very attractive for most clubs if the right trade came along...*cough Dangerfield

Anyway a little bit of harsh fun, usually 3-5 players end up getting moved along to make room for the draft, so I've done my crystal ball, your turn guys.

There is nothing brutally honest here, you're being very generous.

No club will pick up Gault, he is a complete spud.

Dywer and Young have zero currency, no club will pick up either in 2016 even as a rookie.

Macaffer also can be delisted if the need for another spot arises, his time at senior level is up.

Tony Armstrong of course is a certainty

Macaffer also can be delisted if the need for another spot arises, his time at senior level is up.

Le Caff is fine and the coaches love him, Karnezis will go long before him

Le Caff is fine and the coaches love him, Karnezis will go long before him

His knee is stuffed and his position has been taken by a younger and better player.

There is no future for him, not even taking into account he'll need most of 2016 just to get over his knee before he starts playing decent footy again.

His knee is stuffed and his position has been taken by a younger and better player.

There is no future for him, not even taking into account he'll need most of 2016 just to get over his knee before he starts playing decent footy again.

Already reinvented himself once, entering his prime, coaches love him and at worst is the kind of quality depth you need to win flags

And the medical stuff is pure speculation by you

Already reinvented himself once, entering his prime, coaches love him and at worst is the kind of quality depth you need to win flags

And the medical stuff is pure speculation by you

Still not even close to a VFL return and the remaining rounds of the season are ticking away... He will be 28 at the start of the 2016 season, that is most definitely past his prime and many Collingwood players are done by 30.

IF we keep him it would have to be on the rookie list as he won't be anywhere close to the best 22 in 2016.

Still not even close to a VFL return and the remaining rounds of the season are ticking away... He will be 28 at the start of the 2016 season, that is most definitely past his prime and many Collingwood players are done by 30.

IF we keep him it would have to be on the rookie list as he won't be anywhere close to the best 22 in 2016.
I don't know what to tell you, he isn't going anywhere

Buckley alluded to him as one of half a dozen players still to come back into that side and you would imagine he has a better handle on where he's at than you and I

Hine was talking today about our list profile and how we need to bring in some older players after drafting so much top end young talent the last few years, so the last thing they would do is get rid of a 27 year old experienced senior player

Last edited:
This is why we struggle to be brutal (and ultimately successful) with our trades. We have people like OP thinking our players are worth more than they are.

Home truths:

-We're going to get f*ckall for players over 25 that have shown the inability to break into a very young team. (FYI Young is 29)

-Youthful players' currency (regardless of how high they were in the draft) will continue to decrease if they don't play. Prospective talent means very little if you don't play AFL games. As does prospective ceilings for high 'project' picks (such as KPPs)

Don't get me wrong - I love the positivity, but we need to be real about who is worth what.

As hard as it is, we need to remove the emotion from the possibility of trading these blokes and understand what their worth actually is. Maybe then we can properly understand the journey on which Lord Hine is taking us.

I don't know what to tell you, he isn't going anywhere

Buckley alluded to him as one of half a dozen players still to come back into that side and you would imagine he has a better handle on where he's at than you and I

Hine was talking today about our list profile and how we need to bring in some older players after drafting so much top end young talent the last few years, so the last thing they would do is get rid of a 27 year old experienced senior player

Of course Buckley would say that publicly... what else is he going to say? There will be no spot for Macaffer so he may as well quit now?

We do need more experienced players, but if they aren't best 22 there is very little point having them on the list. As a rookie maybe. Who exactly is Macaffer going to kick out of the team? We still have Greenwood Kennedy ect to fit in, plus Freeman when he is up and about in 2016

Of course Buckley would say that publicly... what else is he going to say? There will be no spot for Macaffer so he may as well quit now?

We do need more experienced players, but if they aren't best 22 there is very little point having them on the list. As a rookie maybe. Who exactly is Macaffer going to kick out of the team? We still have Greenwood Kennedy ect to fit in, plus Freeman when he is up and about in 2016

Caff will play ahead of BenKen. If not, we'll trade and he will have currency, maybe he is more valuable to us than he is to another club but I doubt it. He would be a starter for Melbourne, Carlton, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Essendon easily.

Dwyer might not have much currency on the market, but what Hine does with late draft picks means that even if we trade for a late pick we could be in for a big win. Dwyer out for 2 rookie picks would suit me fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caff will play ahead of BenKen. If not, we'll trade and he will have currency, maybe he is more valuable to us than he is to another club but I doubt it. He would be a starter for Melbourne, Carlton, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Essendon easily.

Dwyer might not have much currency on the market, but what Hine does with late draft picks means that even if we trade for a late pick we could be in for a big win. Dwyer out for 2 rookie picks would suit me fine.

So you want to trade in a 4th round draft pick we won't use and 2 rookie picks we won't use in a shallow draft?

He might be a starter for those clubs you named, but all of them are rebuilding and thus want to play kids instead. No one plays hard tags like Caff in 2015, he has been replaced by Crisp and isn't good enough to do anything else.

Last edited:
If we're being brutally honest, then we probably need to talk about Ben Kennedy. I don't want to, but the club doesn't seem to feel he's in the best 22, and he might have some currency, if bundled up with something else.

Again, the fact he can't get a game with us most weeks finishes his currency significantly.

If we're being brutally honest, then we probably need to talk about Ben Kennedy. I don't want to, but the club doesn't seem to feel he's in the best 22, and he might have some currency, if bundled up with something else.

Again, the fact he can't get a game with us most weeks finishes his currency significantly.
Would think BenKen is safe as he tears up the VFL and just hasn't been able to get a reasonable run at the AFL. No delisting but could form part of a trade. part from those listed PK would be next to go and like Young and Dwyer would have no trade value.

Bay Pie 's full player contract status can be found here

In summary, the players who have their contract up at the end of this season are:

Dwyer
Scharenberg
Freeman
Young
Keeffe
Thomas
Armstrong
Sinclair
Karnezis
Seedsman
Oxley
Gault

Would think BenKen is safe as he tears up the VFL and just hasn't been able to get a reasonable run at the AFL. No delisting but could form part of a trade. part from those listed PK would be next to go and like Young and Dwyer would have no trade value.

Definitely meant as a trade, not a delisting.

Bay Pie 's full player contract status can be found here

In summary, the players who have their contract up at the end of this season are:

Dwyer
Scharenberg
Freeman
Young
Keeffe
Thomas
Armstrong
Sinclair
Karnezis
Seedsman
Oxley
Gault

Of this list I would keep:
Oxley
Sinclair
Seedsman
Freeman
Scharenberg

And of this list Sinclair, Seedsman would be trade bait

Clinton Young has less currency than Greece.

Racist

For me Young, Dwyer and Armstrong are the definites. I'd be keeping Gault. Talls don't grow on trees, let alone mobile talls. He's still really young so I don't see a reason not to persist. I just see another Ceglar situation with him. We delist him, Hawthorn pick him up and and all of a sudden he's permanent 22.

Ceglar is still Bucks' one major blemish for me. If a player that we deslit who couldn't get a game with us is permanent 22 at HAWTHORN, then there's something wrong on our end there.

Not too many you'd be in a rush to re-sign...

Few promising young kids and not much else.

Scharenberg, Freeman, Oxley, Sinclair and Gault are worth keeping for me. The rest I could take or leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back