Mega Thread Oh yeah ... did you know there are 17 other teams? - General AFL discussion #9 - Blues posters only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipher

Cancelled
May 14, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It'd be hard to find an early 20s person with that much cash who hasn't snorted a few lines...
You're suggesting every young sportsperson for one takes drugs, that's an unfair sweeping statement and dismissive of their professionalism.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
You're suggesting every young sportsperson for one takes drugs, that's an unfair sweeping statement and dismissive of their professionalism.

Drugs are widespread in society. We're kidding ourselves if we pretend that illicit drug use does not exist in sport.
Of course not every player takes drugs, just like not every non-player takes drugs, but let's not act like Bennell is out on his own here.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
It's an interesting predicament the club and AFL now face.

If they suspend/sack Bennell, they pretty much guarantee no other player will admit to anything, and they risk the "drug culture" at the Suns (in whatever scope or form that takes) and other clubs gets pushed underground.

If they let him off, the message that gets sent is "we don't want you to do drugs, but we can't really do anything to stop you", potentially legitimising the behaviour for others.

I don't pretend to be an expert on the matter. I don't drink, don't smoke, and have no intentions on starting either. I'm generally pretty laid back and if I need to relax I'll just kick back with a book. On the flip-side, I'm on good terms with a guy who will happily light up a couple of joints on a public golf course because his wife would be pissed if he did it at home around their young kids. Do I judge the guy - honestly, yeah, a little, I don't see the sense in it (golf isn't exactly stressful...) and I feel that at some point his kids may be influenced by his cavalier attitude to drug use. However I'm not gonna write him off or criticise him for his choices unless they start negatively impacting me or others I care about.

People have the right to make their own decisions, and mistakes, but I find it concerning that in this instance a player doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes and is, in my view, taking his club for a ride. If this was a fringe best 22 player would he have lasted as long as he has, or has he been given plenty of slack due to his importance to the team's on-field performance?

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
The AFL will be wrapped now that they help pull KH from rugby to AFL and paid him a mill a year, not saying he was the main instigator who "made" these kids take drugs but so far it's not looking too good for him as a mentor to some of the younger brigade. Unless Swisse have put out a new range of pills that I'm unaware of?
Not a good look for any team especially a new one and could be the end for them, as parents may start pushing for the kids to leave the club. The AFL have to get this right otherwise GC will become an even bigger money pit.

Cipher

Cancelled
May 14, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Drugs are widespread in society. We're kidding ourselves if we pretend that illicit drug use does not exist in sport.
Of course not every player takes drugs, just like not every non-player takes drugs, but let's not act like Bennell is out on his own here.
I'm aware of how widespread drug use is in society but that doesn't make you're statement any more true. Bennell isn't in his own but he is still in the minority.

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
People have the right to make their own decisions, and mistakes, but I find it concerning that in this instance a player doesn't appear to be learning from his mistakes and is, in my view, taking his club for a ride. If this was a fringe best 22 player would he have lasted as long as he has, or has he been given plenty of slack due to his importance to the team's on-field performance?

Good post BB, but I think we all know the answer to the last question, we had our own troubled boy who got given a heap of chances, that didn't turn out too well.
I would think in this case the best thing for the AFL to do is suspend him for 18 months, with counselling and criteria that he has to meet and if he can turn his life around he can re-enter the system if he is committed enough?

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Why suspend him?
Other players who use recreational drugs have one/two/three strikes.

It might be the best thing for him? If not a "suspension", a period of forced compassionate leave - I think he needs some time out of the spotlight to discuss with his family, friends, teammates and club officials exactly where he's at.

It's not just the drugs, MEB, it's the drugs plus all his other indiscretions along the way that paint him in a very poor light. If this was "Nat Fyfe smoked a cone 2 years ago" it would be a simple matter for him to publicly acknowledge that he doesn't encourage drug use, and will adhere to team rules regarding such substances in future. Big story for a couple of days and then everyone moves on.

Unfortunately for Harley, he's proven himself a bit of a rogue operative, and is currently at a club being investigated for illicit drug-use amongst multiple players.

Cipher

Cancelled
May 14, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Excuse me for exaggerating.
Do you have the figures to back up that Bennell is in the minority? If not, your statement is as much of a generalisation as mine is.
You said you'd be hard pressed to find someone with a lot of money that hasn't taken drugs. It's not just exaggerating, it's dismissive of the sacrifice many professional athletes make to reach the top level. I just think that effort deserves better acknowledgement than a 'druggie' label.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
You said you'd be hard pressed to find someone with a lot of money that hasn't taken drugs. It's not just exaggerating, it's dismissive of the sacrifice many professional athletes make to reach the top level. I just think that effort deserves better acknowledgement than a 'druggie' label.
That's your label, not mine.

It might be the best thing for him? If not a "suspension", a period of forced compassionate leave - I think he needs some time out of the spotlight to discuss with his family, friends, teammates and club officials exactly where he's at.

It's not just the drugs, MEB, it's the drugs plus all his other indiscretions along the way that paint him in a very poor light. If this was "Nat Fyfe smoked a cone 2 years ago" it would be a simple matter for him to publicly acknowledge that he doesn't encourage drug use, and will adhere to team rules regarding such substances in future. Big story for a couple of days and then everyone moves on.

Unfortunately for Harley, he's proven himself a bit of a rogue operative, and is currently at a club being investigated for illicit drug-use amongst multiple players.

Fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Good post BB, but I think we all know the answer to the last question, we had our own troubled boy who got given a heap of chances, that didn't turn out too well.
I would think in this case the best thing for the AFL to do is suspend him for 18 months, with counselling and criteria that he has to meet and if he can turn his life around he can re-enter the system if he is committed enough?

18 months is probably a bit harsh - probably more than what the damn *'s will end up getting...

I think he just needs to take a breather and make a decision on whether he seriously wants to play footy. If he does, he needs to commit to representing the club professionally, and that includes not taking drugs during the season (starting from pre-season training right up until their final recovery session of the year) and if he chooses to do so during the window when he's not at the club, he needs to do it privately and away from any opportunistic ****-knuckles with cameras. As before, his choice if he wants to do it in his own time, but as a professional sportsperson he needs to do the right thing by his employer.

If he decides that's too tough, or he can't promise that he won't meet those expectations, walk away now and give your spot on the list to a young kid who wants to play AFL instead of just fuelling a hard-partying lifestyle.

It should be his call, and he should be given enough time to consider his future.

some of the crazy stuff I got up to as a kid.....

th

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Why suspend him?
Other players who use recreational drugs have one/two/three strikes.

Let's face it, the only way you can get rubbed out is if you are on 2 strikes and get caught by police for being smashed in your car.

The AFL, if they want to be fair dinkum have to change tack and start again with their drug policy cause this one is not working. Their not going to wipe out the problem, but they need to show the public that they are trying to be pro active rather than reactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back