Opinion 10 most over rated current players

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
Granted. Two-three of his All-Australians were merited. Many were not. When he get's his chance on the big stage he invariably chokes. It's just my opinion, no need to get too riled up. Sumich was a better forward. More recently though there is no WCE to match - but that wasn't my stated point, nor is it relevant to my original comment. I wouldn't get too caught up with all-Australian's either, Eric McKenzie was the best defender in the league for two consecutive years and didn't get a mention, nor did Priddis - the glaring exception.

"best defender in the league"
Nope.

Talia/Rance are much better.

E-Mac is underrated criminally however.

"best defender in the league"
Nope.

Talia/Rance are much better.

E-Mac is underrated criminally however.
And Hooker's better than all three. Although I would have MacKenzie on the same level as Talia and Rance

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah, he is. He and Hurley are the best FB-CHB combo in the AFL without a doubt though.

That I'll 100% agree with.
Essendon's defence as a whole is pretty damn good.
With guys like Hibberd running around too.

Hawthorns is handy in top form as well. Lake, Stratton, Gibson, Frawley with Birchall, Duryea etc running it out. And with whichever gun they have to leave loose, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne.

So what's the deal with Carlisle? I see his best spot as CHB but he cant play there atm with Hooker and Hurley doing so well.
Sucks for you guys that you're stacked there but havent got much up forward or in the ruck.

That I'll 100% agree with.
Essendon's defence as a whole is pretty damn good.
With guys like Hibberd running around too.

Hawthorns is handy in top form as well. Lake, Stratton, Gibson, Frawley with Birchall, Duryea etc running it out. And with whichever gun they have to leave loose, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Burgoyne.

So what's the deal with Carlisle? I see his best spot as CHB but he cant play there atm with Hooker and Hurley doing so well.
Sucks for you guys that you're stacked there but havent got much up forward or in the ruck.
Hibberd has been terrible this year. Turnovers aplenty.

I actually thought you guys exposed the Hawthorn defence a bit this week, they had a loose man back most of the time and yet they still conceded 25 scoring shots. I'd much rather Fremantle's or Sydney's.

Have to play him forward unfortunately. Would love to see him go back and allow Hooker as a 3rd tall.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Hibberd has been terrible this year. Turnovers aplenty.

I actually thought you guys exposed the Hawthorn defence a bit this week, they had a loose man back most of the time and yet they still conceded 25 scoring shots. I'd much rather Fremantle's or Sydney's.

Have to play him forward unfortunately. Would love to see him go back and allow Hooker as a 3rd tall.

IMO thats because their talls don't match up well with us.
We have Walker as our only real tall.
Jenkins doesnt jump at the footy very often, so you can play a smaller player on him.
When Tex went down they essentially had 4 key backs playing on 0 key forwards....was an interesting case study as to the importance of Walker, even if just for structure.

Hawthorns backs would match up much better with a team like Sydney with their talls, or Kangaroos who have 3 massive units down there.

Regarding Hibberd. I think he's a good player, will come out of the slump

Sainter93

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
1. Pavlich (made a career living on the tail-end of 2-3 good years)
2. Riewoldt (milking the coffers dry at Saint land giving nothing in return, and they love him for it - go figure)
3. Gibbs (chronic mismatch between reputed level of ability and actual level of ability)
4. Frawley (talked up in the media, mostly by relatives and friends of relatives to assist lucrative trade deal)
5. Marc Murphy (been an average player from day 1... amazing that he is captain)
6. Scully (contrasting ability and results to remuneration)
7. Watson (talked up in the media, undeserving Brownlow medalist, chronic media bias about his skill)
8. Kreuzer (Most club's second string ruck on a bad day is still is better than Kreuzer on a good day)
9. Swallow (in the same vein as Deledio, Cotchin, and other Victorian-based midfielders - talked up by the AFL and media to get bums on seats)
10. Tom McDonald (10+ better defenders in the AFL and that's being modest)

Are you on drugs?

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
From my team - Suckling. Looks good when on song but shanks 500% more kicks than someone who is apparently an elite kick should.

not as overrated as Will Langford. That kid was the most hyped up midfielder in the off season and he's already spent some time in the VFL, was shithouse again on the weekend. Perhaps another spell at Box Hill?
Probably won't be on the Hawthorn list within a few years time.

Tippett owns this thread. Is arguably producing less per $$ than scully (who is now performing well) and no one says anything.

Umm... what? Tippett's spoken about all the time. Carey goes on about him for half the bloody match whenever he calls a Swans game. It's quite literally gotten to the stage where Tippett is almost underrated, because you'd think he's an incarnation Cameron Cloke.

Keep in mind that this is a bloke who averaged 3 goals per game at the start of this season since joining the Swans. Those are by no means disappointing stats.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Umm... what? Tippett's spoken about all the time. Carey goes on about him for half the bloody match whenever he calls a Swans game. It's quite literally gotten to the stage where Tippett is almost underrated, because you'd think he's an incarnation Cameron Cloke.

Keep in mind that this is a bloke who averaged 3 goals per game at the start of this season since joining the Swans. Those are by no means disappointing stats.

He is playing like Cameron Cloke atm.
He cant get near it.

I think its more that he's not a good fit than not a good player though.

I wouldn't go that far. He was one of our better players on Friday and compensated for DRex (who does try, the poor bugger), and while he's had his quieter matches, he has regularly scored the 3 goals we would expect of him.

I do agree he's not a great fit right now though, and that's simply because our structures are horrid. For some absurd reason, we have Franklin deep... It should be Tippett deep and Franklin roaming around the 50.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
So far from watching this season:

1. Tippett - This thread should be changed to 10 most overrated players after Kurt Tippett.
He's no better than Ty Vickery, just getting paid 4 times as much.

2. Murphy - club captain who should be leading from the front but doesn't. Can't even front the media on a regular basis.
3. Frawley - for all the talk about how much of an impact he'd have at Hawthorn when he could finally get good players around him it is clear that he was overrated at Melbourne.
4. Gibbs - keeps that far away from the action he didn't know Malthoues was sacked until he picked up the paper the following day.
5. Kruezer - starting to think he will be ineligible for this list next year for the same reason Jack Watts isn't, no-one include Carlton supporters will rate him so impossible to be overrated.
6 - Scully - whilst his output has improved this season, you still have to compare him to the kids coming through and Callum Ward, when you do this it is pretty clear that for what he is getting paid he isn't delivering.
7 - Petrie - looks better in defence than up forward, only problem is he's rated as a forward and as such not delivering.
8 - Leuenburger - Brisbane were supposed to have the dominant ruck duo this season with Leuenburger and Martin sharing the duties, well they don't and Leuenburger doesn't do anywhere near enough to suggest he is an elite ruckman deserving the pay packet he's getting.
9 - Watson - is no longer Essendon's key midfield player and honestly have to ask is he really in their best midfield combination, I say no he's not and as such is immediately classified as overrated.
10 - Lewis Taylor - won the Rising Star last year (still can't work out how) so obviously classifies as being rated, but he's doing nothing at the moment and would be lucky to get a game at most clubs.

Honourable mention
Daisy Thomas - as he can't get on the field hard to rate, but given he is on $700k a year and in two years the bloke who holds up the magnetic board at the quarter time breaks has spent more time on the field than him says he's shot and overrated.

askdotcom

All Australian
Oct 25, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So far from watching this season:

1. Tippett - This thread should be changed to 10 most overrated players after Kurt Tippett.
He's no better than Ty Vickery, just getting paid 4 times as much.

2. Murphy - club captain who should be leading from the front but doesn't. Can't even front the media on a regular basis.
3. Frawley - for all the talk about how much of an impact he'd have at Hawthorn when he could finally get good players around him it is clear that he was overrated at Melbourne.
4. Gibbs - keeps that far away from the action he didn't know Malthoues was sacked until he picked up the paper the following day.
5. Kruezer - starting to think he will be ineligible for this list next year for the same reason Jack Watts isn't, no-one include Carlton supporters will rate him so impossible to be overrated.
6 - Scully - whilst his output has improved this season, you still have to compare him to the kids coming through and Callum Ward, when you do this it is pretty clear that for what he is getting paid he isn't delivering.
7 - Petrie - looks better in defence than up forward, only problem is he's rated as a forward and as such not delivering.
8 - Leuenburger - Brisbane were supposed to have the dominant ruck duo this season with Leuenburger and Martin sharing the duties, well they don't and Leuenburger doesn't do anywhere near enough to suggest he is an elite ruckman deserving the pay packet he's getting.
9 - Watson - is no longer Essendon's key midfield player and honestly have to ask is he really in their best midfield combination, I say no he's not and as such is immediately classified as overrated.
10 - Lewis Taylor - won the Rising Star last year (still can't work out how) so obviously classifies as being rated, but he's doing nothing at the moment and would be lucky to get a game at most clubs.

Honourable mention
Daisy Thomas - as he can't get on the field hard to rate, but given he is on $700k a year and in two years the bloke who holds up the magnetic board at the quarter time breaks has spent more time on the field than him says he's shot and overrated.
i know your trying to not be biased but leuenberger nobody rates and taylor is in his second year.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
i know your trying to not be biased but leuenberger nobody rates and taylor is in his second year.
Leuenburger is on $700k a year, which is more than Goldstein, so falls under the same grounds as Tippett and Scully for purposes of this thread. pretty sure no-one rates Scully now either.

Taylor is the reigning Rising Star winner and until last week was only holding his spot in the team because our injury list is so long there is no-one else to pick. It might be tough, but when you look at what Bontempelli is doing at the Dogs this season and he was the runner-up then I think it is fair.

askdotcom

All Australian
Oct 25, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Leuenburger is on $700k a year, which is more than Goldstein, so falls under the same grounds as Tippett and Scully for purposes of this thread. pretty sure no-one rates Scully now either.

Taylor is the reigning Rising Star winner and until last week was only holding his spot in the team because our injury list is so long there is no-one else to pick. It might be tough, but when you look at what Bontempelli is doing at the Dogs this season and he was the runner-up then I think it is fair.
taylors has been in brisbanes top ten players? and bontempeli is also having a slow year, its happens to everyone, players struggle in their second year. you cant call someone overated in their second year unless they are pronounced the new saviour of football.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
taylors has been in brisbanes top ten players? and bontempeli is also having a slow year, its happens to everyone, players struggle in their second year. you cant call someone overated in their second year unless they are pronounced the new saviour of football.
Top 10 players, WTF??? Maybe on Saturday, but for the rest of the season he has been pretty much on struggle street, which given our injuries is even more alarming.

Sure a lot of players do drop back in their second year when given a bit more attention, but he's not been getting any attention, the Dogs let him run around on his own and he did nothing.

pacman

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2006
Sunny Gold Coast
AFL Club
Hawthorn
not as overrated as Will Langford. That kid was the most hyped up midfielder in the off season and he's already spent some time in the VFL, was shithouse again on the weekend. Perhaps another spell at Box Hill?
Wow you've found a guy that has played 29 AFL games of football.
Amazing!!!!!
While you're at it why not mention Nakai Cockatoo he's done nothing in his 5 games and has been hyped.:rolleyes:

Isosceles

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2015
South Morang
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Packers, Bulls, Fulham
You're an absolute plonker. Lets get the facts straight. He's 2 years into senior footy and he's already put his head over the footy more than Andrew Mackie ever has. Me thinks you're still a little offended over last years two games where he tore your side a new one.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

How do you figure Leuenberger is on 700k a year? I thought it was more around 500k.

Taylor's averaging 29 disposals, 5 marks and 1 bounce a game over the last month of footy. Doing fine. He'd benefit with some more time spent on the inside and deep forward at times too.

Jan 13, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Man City
How do you figure Leuenberger is on 700k a year? I thought it was more around 500k.

Taylor's averaging 29 disposals, 5 marks and 1 bounce a game over the last month of footy. Doing fine. He'd benefit with some more time spent on the inside and deep forward at times too.
Contract was always set so his final year would be high so to make sure no chance of unrestricted FA as Melbourne let happen with Frawley.

Jake2403

Rookie
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Most players on this list can be great when they have a good game, but not consistent performers and overrated.

No particular order:
Daniher
Yarran
Frawley
Cooney
Rioli
Daw

Back