Review R14: Port v Sydney Review

You can SEE the effort. The lesser lights -AhChee, Colquhoun, Moore - come in and look like they are desperate to prove something. And the Gold Pass holders - Jonas, Pittard, Schulz -play like they have nothing to prove. Questions, questions, questions...
  1. When we slimmed down, was the reasoning was to make the guys run faster for longer?
    We dun goofed.
  2. Did we work on skills in the pre-season?
    No (although I've heard that Jonas may have been practicing with the Hackham under 8s).
  3. How can a 20 metre pass miss the target by 15 metres?
    Refer to #2.
  4. Do the players follow the leaders?
    Leaders?
  5. When 16 defenders are in Sydney's forward 50, how can a 40 metre pass constantly find a Sydney forward taking an uncontested mark?
    Good kicking and forwards who understand that decoy leads wide create space for the other forwards.
  6. What happened to Tommy Jonas circa 2014?
    He runs like an 80 year old, surely he's carrying an injury.
  7. Why, on a short, wide ground, do we insist on playing short and wide?
    I'd also love to know the answer to this.
  8. When we desperately need a goal in the final stages, why does every one who gets the ball go every which way but forward?
    The game plan, man.
  9. Does Pittard get dropped, or simply banned from the defensive 50?
    No.
  10. When was the last time one of our tall forwards took a contested mark from our long bombs?
    4 BC.
  11. If it is good enough for a 5-gamer to fly the flag for an aggrieved team-mate, why can't the experienced heads show any aggression?
    We want to win the coveted 'Humble and Respectful Trophy for Really Nice Guys'.
  12. Is Travis Boak playing?
    FTFY.
  13. Would we prefer that Jay Schulz get suspended for two games or escape penalty altogether?
    Doesn't deserve weeks for his tackle, wouldn't really matter if he was rubbed out.
  14. Do we miss Kane Cornes?
    I miss Kane Cornes.
  15. Has our recruiting recently been too focused on finding runners who play football rather than footballers who can run?
    Nah.
  16. What monsters exist in the corridor?
    Our poor kicking skills.
  17. Was Broadbent remorseless or pathetic for monstering Parker when he was hurt?
    Pathetic.
  18. Did the players realise that the 50 metre arc at the SCG is only 45 metres from goal?
    Hamish did.
  19. Are our perceived best kickers actually our best kickers?
    Depends on whose perception we're talking about.
  20. Where is a good place to go on holiday in September?
    Czech Republic.
  21. Will we outnumber Collingwood fans next Thursday?
    Would certainly hope so.
  22. Did anyone notice the outstanding job in the match thread by No sane Portfan? I don't dare to read game-day threads. However I'd like to use this last question to comment on how much I rate Ah Chee. He's going to be our enforcer.

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
well then now we're back in the Choco era of which Leper has the more fingers now
I just fancy the leper who doesn't look afraid to show his lepromatous spots, and still backs himself to run around the ground, with his jumper pulled up over his neck, so the world can see his blemishes.

The leper who cowers when the ball is in the same screenshot as him, then fumbles, then falls over, then dribbles a 3m kick to the opposition, then trips over himself, and is miked up the whole time he is doing it, doesn't amuse me as much.

pafc88

All Australian
Aug 14, 2012
Elwood
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Coz our structures and form as a team are stuffed. Ryder is a part of that.

WTF does that have to do with what i asked and what boydman said??
I was just curious as to why he got 3 disposals for the whole game.
I didnt see the game.

1435834273608.jpg

I was just curious as to why he got 3 disposals for the whole game.
I didnt see the game.

He was often third man up at ruck contests. Didn't clunk any grabs around the ground and looked mostly lost. I'm going to be a broken record here but I see no way that Lobbe and Ryder can co-exist in our team whilst Lobbe offers nothing other than being a negating wharf pylon at stoppages.

I would question the co-ordination between the line coaches. It appears that they are failing to achieve cohesiveness between their various groups, which is partly where we fall down. The forwards all want to play midfield, the midfielders don't want to play defence and the defenders all want to attack,only to find that the forwards are aĺl in the midfield.
Is this Shaun Hart's job as director of coaching?

HugeJohnson

Just hanging out
Apr 25, 2009
Some point in space and time
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
It was all the Sydney Swans last night, after they ended their 9 match losing streak with a slippery win over a fairly ordinary Port Adelaide Terriers side at the big cricket ground in Sydney. Terry Gomplewoggin was the star again for the Swans, with the 58 year old claiming the brownlow medal as the best player on the ground as voted by The International Commission for Dairy Operations. He amassed a massive 38 Timpletenners, which set a new record in the AFL, beating the previous best of 50 set by Tom in the VFL era, way back in 2008. He combined with Rupert Ripplesnucker for a team high eight interception plays which set the crowd alight.

The Power of Adelaide Terriers football club could do nothing to stop the Swans from attacking them, Laurie Ricknell cracked Isaac Snipplewiffer over the head with the bloodied shards of his make shift beer bottle shiv, which he had purchased from the pub in the southern-end forward line. He was spotted dining in the defensive line restaurant with Fremantle Falcons maintenance coordinator Terry Snapplewopple during a ball up in the 3rd half, adding further fuel to the fire that he is perhaps going to sign with the Dockers at the end of the first set of finals.

It was kick for kick all game, with neither side threatening to back down from kicking the ball away from each other. This caused John Smongmires side to lose 4 points as a penalty for having too many players in the slip cordon. The relief was only temporary though for the Power, with Sydney ramming it right back in there without lubrication. The goal was eventually allowed after a score review, and the ball was rightly relubricated by the boundary umpire, Matt Snoggleflop. The Swans then blitzed away after the half time siren had rung its final crazy frog. Umpire Association Prime Minister Adam Gobbledegoods kicked the final 3 touchdowns of the quarter to set the Terriers a hard task in the fourth quarter, trailing by 2 sets at the final break.

Billy Bantumwanger gave the visitors some hope as he opened the last quarter with his first goal in his whole life, but the excitement was to be short lived as he was substituted and ultimately missing the golden goal at the end to force the sudden death elimination round. The Swans kicked away, eventually running out winners by 1 brownlow medal and four points to move up to 5th on the ladder after starting the round in 3rd.
The Power now have an eight day siesta while Sydney back it up tomorrow night with a double header between the Brisbane Lions and the Geraldton Gomberwonks in what looms as a potential grand final preview.

Pictured: Jake Schulz of the Power of Adelaide Terriers football club flys high for a mark over Swans halfback-wingsnipple, Terry Maccadonnafonna.
Jakeschulz2_zps7f77293d.jpg

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was often third man up at ruck contests. Didn't clunk any grabs around the ground and looked mostly lost. I'm going to be a broken record here but I see no way that Lobbe and Ryder can co-exist in our team whilst Lobbe offers nothing other than being a negating wharf pylon at stoppages.

I actually thought Lobbe was pretty good around the ground tonight. He did a few things that wont get on the stats sheet but were important. We were all screaming out for a ruck last year saying that we were ****ed without one. I don't see what has changed.

It was all the Sydney Swans last night, after they ended their 9 match losing streak with a slippery win over a fairly ordinary Port Adelaide Terriers side at the big cricket ground in Sydney. Terry Gomplewoggin was the star again for the Swans, with the 58 year old claiming the brownlow medal as the best player on the ground as voted by The International Commission for Dairy Operations. He amassed a massive 38 Timpletenners, which set a new record in the AFL, beating the previous best of 50 set by Tom in the VFL era, way back in 2008. He combined with Rupert Ripplesnucker for a team high eight interception plays which set the crowd alight.

The Power of Adelaide Terriers football club could do nothing to stop the Swans from attacking them, Laurie Ricknell cracked Isaac Snipplewiffer over the head with the bloodied shards of his make shift beer bottle shiv, which he had purchased from the pub in the southern-end forward line. He was spotted dining in the defensive line restaurant with Fremantle Falcons maintenance coordinator Terry Snapplewopple during a ball up in the 3rd half, adding further fuel to the fire that he is perhaps going to sign with the Dockers at the end of the first set of finals.

It was kick for kick all game, with neither side threatening to back down from kicking the ball away from each other. This caused John Smongmires side to lose 4 points as a penalty for having too many players in the slip cordon. The relief was only temporary though for the Power, with Sydney ramming it right back in there without lubrication. The goal was eventually allowed after a score review, and the ball was rightly relubricated by the boundary umpire, Matt Snoggleflop. The Swans then blitzed away after the half time siren had rung its final crazy frog. Umpire Association Prime Minister Adam Gobbledegoods kicked the final 3 touchdowns of the quarter to set the Terriers a hard task in the fourth quarter, trailing by 2 sets at the final break.

Billy Bantumwanger gave the visitors some hope as he opened the last quarter with his first goal in his whole life, but the excitement was to be short lived as he was substituted and ultimately missing the golden goal at the end to force the sudden death elimination round. The Swans kicked away, eventually running out winners by 1 brownlow medal and four points to move up to 5th on the ladder after starting the round in 3rd.
The Power now have an eight day siesta while Sydney back it up tomorrow night with a double header between the Brisbane Lions and the Geraldton Gomberwonks in what looms as a potential grand final preview.

Pictured: Jake Schulz of the Power of Adelaide Terriers football club flys high for a mark over Swans halfback-wingsnipple, Terry Maccadonnafonna.
Jakeschulz2_zps7f77293d.jpg
This should be the next instalment in the best-selling Power Pirateers series.
Actually, come to think of it, since those guys came on board Port have been playing like kids.

IT'S ALL THE POWER PIRATEERS FAULT!

I actually thought Lobbe was pretty good around the ground tonight. He did a few things that wont get on the stats sheet but were important. We were all screaming out for a ruck last year saying that we were stuffed without one. I don't see what has changed.

What has changed? We got our ruck! The problem is when that ruckman plays ruck, what happens to Lobbe?

ZingerB

Club Legend
Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What has changed? We got our ruck! The problem is when that ruckman plays ruck, what happens to Lobbe?

He also rucks otherwise we're back to hoping our only ruckman doesn't get injured or paying one of them 500-700k to play in the SANFL every week.

He also rucks otherwise we're back to hoping our only ruckman doesn't get injured or paying one of them 500-700k to play in the SANFL every week.

Maybe Schulz being out will be the making of Ryder as a forward. I can only hope because I have no faith in Lobbe being a viable relief forward option.

Back