RIP Phil Walsh - Police, club, league statements in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

That report says 31 women had been killed by violence (including but not limited to domestic violence) in calendar year 2015 to 13 April.

Haven't seen anything to suggest domestic violence kills two women per week.
Violence perpetrated by people they know. But you're right, it's not about domestic violence enacted by a husband to his wife specifically. I also don't know if these figures take into account domestic violence present in gay LGBTI relationships.

I just caught up with the news. What a horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to his family and to the Adelaide Crows supporters.

May his memory be eternal.

Posted on the Adelaide Board, thought I'd post it here.

I was losing interest in the AFL and AFC, didn't like where footy was heading and was enjoying following soccer more....then Phil Walsh came along, described himself as a weirdo, talked about his love of surfing and what it gives him and being honest about his flaws, life and thoughts.
The more I heard about him/from him the more I was interested and I found myself taking some interest in the club and the game again, God forbid, enjoyed the game and club again.
I'm a stubborn bloke so that's saying something.
Would've loved to bump into him out in the water surfing one day, have a man talk and call each other into a wave. That was really never going to happen but never will now.
Thanks Phil for helping a stubborn p**** like me see another side of footy.
RIP

Very shocking saddening news. Condolences to the Walsh family, the Adelaide Crows and their supporters, and all the people who knew him personally.

Phil has improved our game through his football intellect and touched many clubs along the way. I was genuinely looking forward to witnessing what he could do with his own team.

RIP Phil Walsh.

Agree with the above, it's horrifying to imagine what his son must be thinking and feeling right now. Imagine him sitting somewhere, hopefully full of the deepest regret imaginable. He's a 26yo male that has just killed his father and stabbed his mother. The only public situation like this that springs to my mind is the Chris Benoit double homicide suicide, which was influenced by a cocktail of medications and drugs.

The method is important. If Walsh's son was high on ice for example, there would be an immediate change in attitude towards ice among AFL players. Nobody would stand for it if they knew a teammate was on it, whereas today everyone turns a blind eye. The semantics of the situation may help to shape future attitudes in the AFL community for the better.

From every tragedy, something can be learned.

He was certainly killed, whether he was murdered is yet to be determined

Agree, one can think of a number of possibilities that would throw doubt over whether his son's behaviour was indeed murderous, so it's currently unfair to label his son a murderer. It follows that we shouldn't yet say Walsh was murdered out of respect to his son (as much as we'd feel repulsed from showing respect to his son right now).

I think we should take the murdered part out of this thread title now. Some friends and family of Walsh will no doubt be reading bf today.

That crows press conference was just so surreal, then they put that photo up at the end with phil walsh 1960-2015 and it's just like wtf is going on. It's just unbelievable. I know I didn't know the guy but being a strong crows supporter that liked him as the coach just makes it hard for the brain to process what is going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That crows press conference was just so surreal, then they put that photo up at the end with phil walsh 1960-2015 and it's just like wtf is going on. It's just unbelievable. I know I didn't know the guy but being a strong crows supporter that liked him as the coach just makes it hard for the brain to process what is going on.

There are many with ya.

It's not just the bubble. Few of us here would have met the man personally, but by seeing him in the media you end up with some kind of connection to him on some level. I am well aware that these sorts of events happen all around me, and one day, it could just as easily be me rather than someone else. But when it happens to a high profile person, it's a shock not just because of that small connection, but because there's a perception of invincibility that surrounds that person.

It could happen to me, but it can't happen to them.

When it does, that in itself is quite jarring. One minute you're thinking about the game on the weekend, next thing you know, turmoil on so many levels.

My heart goes out to everyone involved, and everyone who has had connections with Phil Walsh. One of the saddest days in the history of the game.
Great post krisholio.

Just woke up to the news and clocked it on the BBC website. Took a few seconds to make sense.

Terrible tragedy.

For some reason it really annoys me how people on facebook always rush to be the first to "report" tragedies like this. Like they are the first person to hear the news. Like it's not on every single news channel, website and paper.

It's pathetic and I think they secretly get off on it.

That said, terrible news. Can only imagine what the family is going through - especially his wife. How could she ever face her own son again after this. Absolute madness.

You don't get to pick and choose your family and I'm far from suggesting that Walsh was a bad father but I just can't comprehend how tragic it is after reading that Robbo piece to see Walsh had clearly changed his ways after 2012 and recognised the need to be closer to his kids.

Sounds like Phil had a rough relationship with his own father as well so to become self aware and according to all the reporting to really work on becoming a more relaxed and well rounded person only for this to happen is just abhorrent.

It's far from high priority but the coaches association will have to invest way more in educating young coaches about looking after their own well being. That will be one small part of Phil's larger legacy.

For some reason it really annoys me how people on facebook always rush to be the first to "report" tragedies like this. Like they are the first person to hear the news. Like it's not on every single news channel, website and paper.

That said, terrible news. Can only imagine what the family is going through - especially his wife. How could she ever face her own son again after this. Absolute madness.

Avoid Facebook. Best thing you'll ever do.

I think it's a natural trait people have to want to be the first person "in the know", and platforms like facebook and twitter allow this to manifest more prominently and to a wider audience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back