News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

These player tweets are heartbreaking and emphasise the massive loss this is…a great person and great coach.

Compare to other coaches we've had and then look at how EVERY player on the list loved him and were becoming better people and players…this is gut wrenching.

Such a horrible, horrible day.

No matter who we all support, this is one of the saddest days in my life
Really feel for Meredith and his daughter
To everyone involved at the Adelaide Football Club, I believe everyone in the football world is praying for all of you.
I realise these are only words, but I feel really sad, as we at the PAFC , loved what the great man done at our club as well

RIP Phil

Just yesterday when you and I were having that discussion about substance abuse and whether you need to have been a user to have experience in the subject the people I had most in mind were the family members who are usually caught in the collateral damage. I'm really feeling sad at the moment for those closest to Phil and I hope that whatever led to this unfortunate incident doesn't continue to be a cause of suffering for them.
Which is why I said you werent wrong.:( :thumbsu:

It's very difficult to know what to do or say at a time like this.

As Sanders touched on, this is a monumental event that makes you truly realise your emotional ties to the club, and also to footy itself.

2015 thus far has been the worst 6 months of my entire life. Government job gone. Job market in my field - horrific. 5 year relationship - in tatters, and I'm back living with my mother at the age of 32. However, none of that matters right now. I'll get past these things and by the start of 2016 I'll probably be fine. This is not me having a pity party. This is me gaining perspective.

Phil's family has been torn to shreds. We don't have all the details of exactly what transpired in the lead up to Phil's death, but I'll be stunned if mental illness is not involved here. The pain they must be feeling makes me feel like the crap I've gone through is on par with a mosquito bite.

To Phil's family, friends, to everyone who ever knew him, to the 7 clubs he was associated with in one way or another, my heart goes out to you.

Rest in Peace Phil. You won't be forgotten.

#WeMournAsOne

Last edited:
Think i know how you felt, heard the news around 7 20am & was just struck down with a nothingness, shed tears & went home without telling the boss where i am stilling trying to come to terms with it all, even though i never knew the man i just felt like he was a part of my life & i am a 60yr + male who has seen the good & the bad of life.

Walshy was different to all the other coaches we have had.

I'm sitting having some happy hour beers and thinking the same thing. I never met Phil but was super impressed with him and as I'm so invested in the club this is really hitting hard. Perhaps it's because the club has been through so much lately. Unfortunately I think this is going to hurt the club for a long long time. Sick to my stomach right now. Hope the players and staff are holding up ok. This club is cursed.

To my Adelaide brothers, it's another cruel twist of life but we must wipe the tears away and celebrate the great teachings of this man.

It's hard to comprehend what happened even after the whole day has passed, but the pain is too much to not think about. We must be strong for the club when they need us the most and to ensure that although we have faced the darkest day in our history, our spirits remain strong and vigilant and we will make it through. Walsh will forever have a legend status at this club as far as I'm concerned, so let's make his vision of a dominant Adelaide team become a reality.

Every game that passes, every week, every step.... we will always be missing you Walshy.

#ForeverWalsh :hearts:

Really feel for him too. While it seems he had a strange and distant relationship with his father, we can only speculate on his motives which is really something none of us should do.

He must've had reasons and of course the outcome is just tragic - but he too needs support in what must be a terribly difficult time for all in the Walsh family. If only it could've been resolved in another way, another day.

I wish him and his family all the best and I hope the outcome is the right one - not one contrived by media or the nature of his fathers profile until we know the full story. After all, he too is someone who's feelings need to be heard out.

RIP Phil.
When I think about the son ... as a father myself ... all I think is that Phil would be looking down wishing he could protect his son in every way possible. He would be wanting to hug him and say to him "it's ok". Breaks my heart.

Like everyone else, I'm totally shattered. Shattered this could happen to such a great man, and shattered for the Club that was really heading in the right direction under his passionate yet caring guidance.

Knowing one of the young lads at the Crows I have heard firsthand how much of a difference Walshy has made. The boys genuinely loved him and would've moved mountains for him. I'm devastated for them that he won't be around to see how well they develop.
He was such a unique and intriguing man , someone who thought outside the norm. There aren't many like him and I wish the next appointed coach the best of luck.

They are incredibly big shoes to fill....

When I think about the son ... as a father myself ... all I think is that Phil would be looking down wishing he could protect his son in every way possible. He would be wanting to hug him and say to him "it's ok". Breaks my heart.

The ripples from an action like this last a lifetime. Walshy's family will forever be broken.

Having just got home from work , I feel I must post me heart felt sympathies to all of his family.. and to those in your club. The qualities he displayed in life must have been amazing , the far reaching grief and shock has crossed over to so many clubs , so many had experienced his knowledge at times in the past and that help will never be forgotten.

Game or no Game , Points or no points , future player trades , whatever...its all rather trite and tacky... only one thing matters what is the best for the AFC and the players. Take care of your own guys.

Rest easy Phil Walsh , you will be long remembered.

I'm sitting having some happy hour beers and thinking the same thing. I never met Phil but was super impressed with him and as I'm so invested in the club this is really hitting hard. Perhaps it's because the club has been through so much lately. Unfortunately I think this is going to hurt the club for a long long time. Sick to my stomach right now. Hope the players and staff are holding up ok. This club is cursed.
this will hurt the club but as Phil would want I hope this really galvanizes our club and that we eventually emerge stronger and more united than ever. The best way for the club to honor Phil will be in our actions. We fly as one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this will hurt the club but as Phil would want I hope this really galvanizes our club and that we eventually emerge stronger and more united than ever. The best way for the club to honor Phil will be in our actions. We fly as one.
I hope the players really take on the lessons they have learned from Phil to be good people. If that also means that they gain a steely determination and hunger to win in football then that's a bonus.

Our clubs have a fierce rivalry on and off the field but today we are all a football family who have suffered a tragic loss. RIP Phil Walsh

*I thought Chapman and Fagan spoke so well in the Press Conference, the players are in good hands

391 final.jpg
Our Crows flag at half mast at our house, just went out and had a sit down and a think. Fittingly the ocean is as flat as I am. Wouldn't be fair for Phil to go out on a day when the surf is rolling, lovely gesture from mother nature, good weather for sombre thought and reflection on a great life gone too soon... Thanks to everyone for the twitter posts, updates and thoughts. Today has been made a touch easier for everyone thanks to the Bigfooty family.

I was keeping it together at work today, was working with quite possibly the most upbeat person I've ever met. However reading the tweets of the public and the players....... **** me it just hit home again.

Watching the game tonight will just feel weird, might have to watch a movie. The club, its players, staff and we supporters must stay strong together and we will get through it.

It's very difficult to know what to do or say at a time like this.

As Sanders touched on, this is a monumental event that makes you truly realise your emotional ties to the club, and also to footy itself.

2015 thus far has been the worst 6 months of my entire life. Government job gone. Job market in my field - horrific. 5 year relationship - in tatters, and I'm back living with my mother at the age of 32. However, none of that matters right now. I'll get past these things and by the start of 2016 I'll probably be fine. This is not me having a pity party. This is me gaining perspective.

Phil's family has been torn to shreds. We don't have all the details of exactly what transpired in the lead up to Phil's death, but I'll be stunned if mental illness is not involved here. The pain they must be feeling makes me feel like the crap I've gone through is on par with a mosquito bite.

To Phil's family, friends, to everyone who ever knew him, to the 7 clubs he was associated with in one way or another, my heart goes out to you.

Rest in Peace Phil. You won't be forgotten.

#WeMournAsOne
Best of luck

Can I get an idea of anyone who would like to go as a group to West Lakes on Sunday and leave a tribute on behalf of the Big Footy community? Good idea or not let me know.

I was keeping it together at work today, was working with quite possibly the most upbeat person I've ever met. However reading the tweets of the public and the players....... **** me it just hit home again.

Watching the game tonight will just feel weird, might have to watch a movie. The club, its players, staff and we supporters must stay strong together and we will get through it.

I will watch the pregame into for what is going to be discussed about Walsh, then its time to watch a movie or a tv show. s**t I feel farked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back