I'm proud to support the Adelaide Football Club

Mike Smyth

10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
Even though some of us can be whiney bitches at times (in my case, some would say a lot ) we always bounce back when faced with adversity. We have had to endure some horrible times over the last 5 or so years, some of it self inflicted but most of it beyond our control. Yet no matter how hard we get kicked we keep on coming back for more and in droves. There really are some wonderful, stoic, loyal, fantastic human beings among our supporterbase and most of all that's probably what makes me most proud to support this club.

Gutted..

RIP Phil Walsh
We Fly As one

We all stick by each other through the good and the bad. This is what makes me proud to support this great club who I've made many friends through.

Also, great to see the respect shown by Port Power in our time of need. It's a shame that the most tragic of circumstances occurred to bring us all together.

Even though some of us can be whiney bitches at times (in my case, some would say a lot ) we always bounce back when faced with adversity. We have had to endure some horrible times over the last 5 or so years, some of it self inflicted but most of it beyond our control. Yet no matter how hard we get kicked we keep on coming back for more and in droves. There really are some wonderful, stoic, loyal, fantastic human beings among our supporterbase and most of all that's probably what makes me most proud to support this club.

Gutted..

RIP Phil Walsh
We Fly As one
Cheers Mate, and I far prefer your new avatar

Footy is like family. I can't imagine what it'd be like without either

It's not just us affected by this. The whole footy family is.

If your playing footy tomorrow, give your mates a hug

John the Butcher

Does not support the Ken Hinkley Football Club
May 27, 2014
Port Adelaide Magpies
Port supporters have been fantastic. Would seem there's some wonderful human beings in their supporterbase too. yeah, I'm serious.:D
We really are nice people, you know ;)
I'm hoping this tragedy brings our two supporter bases closer. Yeah, we're cross town rivals, and that'll never change as always, but hopefully we can appreciate our time better and be thankful for everyone of our family, friends and mates.
Shout your mates a round of cordial in honour.
#RIPWalshy

Mike Smyth

10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
The strongest of bonds are formed through times like these.

As a club, we mourn, we heal and we recover - in our own time.

The Phoenix will rise.

Given the circumstances I think it will take along time for everyone to get over this.

Gutted..

RIP Phil Walsh
We Fly As one

Well said mate.

I'd extend the thoughts to the footy community as a whole. At the end of the day, regardless of what colours we wear, we are all passionate about this great game.

PCORF

Jul 3, 2007
I have supported this team since the start. We have had more tougher times than joyful times. A couple of premierships, but then lots of disappointment. I don't know if we will ever win that 3rd flag. But hopefully and surely there will be better days ahead and we will become stronger and more hungry and fight to the end of every game no matter if we are top or bottom. I am proud of everyone, even non AFL supporters of all their support towards the coach. Lots of respect from many people out there. I know Phil went through a terrible time in his final moments but luckily he is not suffering anymore and is at peace. It is the others that have to suffer. I had a friend who died of cancer in his 40's last year, always the good ones .... it is a cruel world. We have dreams, expectations and sometimes you never know what may happen.

Apr 13, 2015
I think you all should be. In recent years your club's playing stocks have been plundered by expansion and the go home factor. The recruiting team have done a great job to cover these losses.

I know that all seems incredibly trivial compared to today's events but you all should be proud of your club's stoicism in the face of adversity.

Nov 1, 2012
Footy is about family and it's about connections. Hopes, dreams & emotions invested; we ride every day, for the journey with our club, our team, shared with those around us, those of common passion

If today taught us anything, it's this: it's not a hobby

I didn't realise that either until today. the game doesn't matter, people, connections and family within a football community do.

Nothing so trivial as a hobby unites us in this way.

Vale Phil Walsh he only started his journey with us just now which makes the loss so much more profound. He found us, we found him, both looking for redemption. It can't end this way, so if nothing else Phil has shown us the meaning of family.

earlsta

Aug 28, 2006
76ers
I fell in love with this club as a young boy living in melbourne. I didn't know a single person from South Australia, I didn't know a single adelaide supporter. I fell in love with the way we played football, & I loved Modra. I'd get weird looks for supporting em as a kid but I didn't give a s**t, this is my club.. A club I grew up with, This club means the world to me, I'm gutted, feel for the family & the club.

creme_fraiche

Jun 1, 2013
WA
Boston Bruins
I think something like this tears away at the fabric of nearly every human on some level. The reality is, every supporter experiences personal tragedy and heartache on some level and football is the safe place for so many of us.

Many experience death, some experience physical, emotional or sexual abuse. Some are touched by illness whilst others are exposed to murder. For some families it's the mental anguish of being physically incapable to start their own family whilst for others it's the grief of not being with their family. We all pretend that these aspects of our lives don't exist when we unite under the one banner of blue, red and gold and go into battle. On a larger scale, we all fall under the AFL banner as a core group of Australians who love this sport.

An incident like this one rocks the foundation of nearly every one of those groups I've touched on. Football is our safe place. Football helps us forget and it forges lifelong bonds. Sure the bloke two rows back is annoying when he spills a beer on your jacket yelling out 'stop kicking backwards'; not to mention the elderly lady 3 seats away who leaves 8 minutes into the last quarter every time we're even a slight chance of losing. But deep down we're glad to have them there because they're family.

This incident (admittedly whilst speculating) appears to touch on all the horrible elements of society we like to pretend don't exist. Drug abuse, domestic violence and drug related mental illness are all horrible realities that bubble away under the surface of our nation. An incident like this is a stark reminder that no-one is untouched at some level by these darker aspects of society. Not even our bulletproof bogan-laureate from Hamilton.

Hold your loved ones tighter today. If you're suffering - talk to someone, even if it's just a faceless name on a footy board. We are all family at some level, regardless of race, creed or colour.

anthc

Apr 30, 2008
adelaide
adelaide united
I think something like this tears away at the fabric of nearly every human on some level. The reality is, every supporter experiences personal tragedy and heartache on some level and football is the safe place for so many of us.

Many experience death, some experience physical, emotional or sexual abuse. Some are touched by illness whilst others are exposed to murder. For some families it's the mental anguish of being physically incapable to start their own family whilst for others it's the grief of not being with their family. We all pretend that these aspects of our lives don't exist when we unite under the one banner of blue, red and gold and go into battle. On a larger scale, we all fall under the AFL banner as a core group of Australians who love this sport.

An incident like this one rocks the foundation of nearly every one of those groups I've touched on. Football is our safe place. Football helps us forget and it forges lifelong bonds. Sure the bloke two rows back is annoying when he spills a beer on your jacket yelling out 'stop kicking backwards'; not to mention the elderly lady 3 seats away who leaves 8 minutes into the last quarter every time we're even a slight chance of losing. But deep down we're glad to have them there because they're family.

This incident (admittedly whilst speculating) appears to touch on all the horrible elements of society we like to pretend don't exist. Drug abuse, domestic violence and drug related mental illness are all horrible realities that bubble away under the surface of our nation. An incident like this is a stark reminder that no-one is untouched at some level by these darker aspects of society. Not even our bulletproof bogan-laureate from Hamilton.

Hold your loved ones tighter today. If you're suffering - talk to someone, even if it's just a faceless name on a footy board. We are all family at some level, regardless of race, creed or colour.
This:cry::cry::cry:

PrideOf

10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFC

Well said champ. :thumbsu:

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
If ever Fagen wanted the AFC to finally feel like a sports club rather than a corporate entity, under tragic circumstances he got his wish. The AFC family became tight and as one yesterday. I never had any doubt, because as Australians, this is what we do. The show of support from all codes and supporters no doubt would have blown the world away. I am always proud to wear my AFC colours!

Aug 17, 2007
The Autobots and Team America
I am proud to be a member of the AFC, but I am also proud of being a lover of our sport.

We "hate" each other when we wear a different couloured scarf or jumper. But that "hate" is just theatre. What we have seen here is real emotion and care among those that love our sport across the different clubs and states. Some people may scoff when they find out how much you love our (bogan) sport, but the strength of our sport is that it brings together so many different people who all have one common love and passion.

The last two days solidified that camaraderie we all have as lovers of our sport. Regardless of the colour the scarf is you hang on your letterbox or fence right now.