RIP Phil Walsh

I was a guest in the room two years ago when Phil Walsh was awarded Life Membership of the Port Adelaide Football Club.

The irony. The tragic irony.

Life.
Never is it to be taken for granted.

Tomorrow the sun will rise in the east.
But it will be imperceptibly dimmer, for we have all lost one of our own.
All of us.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
From our 2004 coaching group - 2 dead, one in his mid 40's, the other in his mid 50's, Choco diagnosed with cancer last year. Geez I hope the rest avoid this until they hit at least the average life expectancy age. They should all have beeen there for 20, 25, 30 and even 40 year reunions at the least, but sadly not so.

May their philosophies and spirit live on in the vast amount of coaching experience that that group has produced and will continue to produce. The memories of then will live with us forever, and, less importantly but nonetheless poignant, their great influence on our great game shall live on too.

Hong-Kong Phooey

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
The news is now publishing it, so I guess it can be discussed. But home at 2 am.... Fight starts... Dad gets stabbed.... It don't take Einstein to work out that drugs were involved. I do actually feel a bit for the son, ice alters your mind in a real bad way. I've never been one to take drugs, but I am open to trying things and I tried it once many years ago.... I was blown away by how if messes with your head. It's scary. He would be feeling terrible now.

Last edited:

WINGARDium

Senior List
Jun 8, 2014
Lassoing the Crow off the wall at West Lakes
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Magpies,Aldinga Bay Hockey,Yankees
How the hell do you explain to your son that he died because of his son. My heart also goes out to parents trying to explain the tragedy to the supporters who are just kids.

Kids are incredibly smart. WINGARDium/Alberton Proud Jnr is 10; I work in mental health and unfortunately, because of what I have to see and deal with, he understands way more than I'd ever wish a 10 year old to know.

Kids hear things, see things and formulate their own perception of what's happened. We are open and honest with him (minus sensationalistic beat-up) - I'd rather he knew the truth through his parents than hear speculation and inaccuracies through other sources.

And kids who love their footy want to feel part of this footy family too.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
5/11 houses in our street have scarfes, 5/20 cara in the HJs drive through had scarves.
It's amazing how everyone can get behind it.

And far out. I woke up at 2am this morning. Jeepers...

Today I took my 10 year old son to the park for some kicks of the footy. I was encouraging him to gather the ball from the ground as I grubbed kicked for him and I used the term "ground ball". It is a term that obviously PHIL used but certainly a term I have not mentioned. Weird the way things sometimes happen.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Kudos to KT and Kochie and the PAFC family on this sad day. All I can say is thanks. The respect shown is overwhelming and highlights that while fans of each club may hate each other that interclub internal friendships do exist and its heart warming to know that SA still comes first above and beyond the two clubs. We rally around each other in difficult times. I may have written comments about PAFC in the past but today you guys did prove what a great club you guys are and I will forever remember this day.
I think most of us has sledged each other's club, I know I have. But I am sure we are all feeling a common bond as a result of this tragedy. Cheers.

Port 2004

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2012
Bellevue Heighta
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Pride, and an inability to swallow it, has led to many of us on this forum, myself included, to delude ourselves into believing we don't miss Phil Walsh from our coaches box. Clearly we do. I've been as guilty as anyone of mocking his style and unique way he delivers his message publicly but truth be told it was more about sour grapes at losing him than anything else. And to be honest, right now I'm missing his silly mannerisms and quirks. Poor, poor man.
Touché. Me too.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
An absolute tragedy for the family and the football community. While Phil was a big part of our club, I really feel for the AFC and its supporters given what they've gone through with Dean and now Phil. My thoughts are with them and once they get over this I hope they finish the season in a manner that would make Phil proud.

I wonder if cancelling the game is what PW would of wanted ? , somehow I doubt it.

That's ridiculous, you can't expect players who have just been hit with the most shocking news imaginable about their coach - who would have been a father figure to them - to front up for a game of bloody football three days later. And you haven't paid attention to what Phil Walsh was about if you think he would expect otherwise.

Walsh revealed the following after the Brent Reilly accident at training

Phil Walsh reflects on Brent Reilly injury
Long before the Reilly accident, Walsh had realised he needed to change some things about himself. Afterwards he became convinced of it.

"Part of the old Phil Walsh might have screamed at Brent Reilly to get up," said the new Adelaide coach. "Sitting in that hospital, I really wondered if the worst happened whether I would be able to make those same physical demands on the team.

"In the end, after he came through the operation, I told the guys: 'Let's just get through the week. I won't coach and I won't make demands on you and if you don't feel you can train, then don't.

"What I've learnt from working with large groups is that we all deal with grief differently. We needed to find out who was grieving and get them the relief they needed. We did a combined session and those who needed to stay away did so.

"Everyone saw what happened. A few of them have their demons about it and we're dealing with that.

"Footy clubs are so competitive and, as a group, we judge people constantly and negatively. What I've tried to do is find the 10 things that connect us."

Maybe now, as a united community, we’ll start having a serious attempt at wiping out the scourge of drugs in our society

RIP Phil

I seriously doubt drugs were the only issue.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Everybody in here loves our footy. We rejoice in the flags and the wins against each other, and we feel the pain of the losses in close matches and frustrating games.

Then something like this comes along and makes you realise again that thats all it is, a game.

Our state and our clubs have experienced too much pain in a short period of time. Whether it be JMac, Dean Bailey or Phil Hughes we have been too horribly reminded about things beyond whats expected of us. How can we possibly explain it to our loved ones, why do things like this happen to good people ??

When he arrived on your scene all those years ago and help build the juggernaut that we all begrudgingly admired we heard about this Walsh bloke. We heard how hard he was, how cutting edge he was and how he thought about the game. Then there was the teaching side, a bloke who took time to get around each player and taught them how to be better players, and better blokes.

He was only part of us for a short time but almost immediately we saw what you and your club did. Wow what a man, a strange one but a brilliant one. He left a mark on our clubs that will never ever be forgotten.

Vale Phil Walsh. May he Rest In Peace.

Honeyboy Wilson

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Drugs exacerbate issues, they don't necessarily cause them.

Ice is already seen as a dirty, filthy drug that destroys lives. So why would anyone touch it? Because of other issues.

The problem isn't the drug itself, is the social stigma attached to it. People will try drugs, they're interesting, they can be fun, and for a lot of people, they're an escape. But because of the stigma associated with something like ice, users are too ashamed and they keep their use a secret. Until it's too late and their spiral has begun and the truth comes out. Then they're a drug user backed into a corner and society calls them a junkie and blames the drug.

We need to get rid of the social stigma, so people aren't ashamed and if they feel like their drug habits are getting out of control they can seek help without fear of judgment.

Unfortunately, it's far easier to blame drugs and the users and call for prohibition. It's an easier solution to market.

I just wanted to say that, because now the talk has started to shift to drugs, which is unfortunate because it is still just speculation. What has happened is a tragedy and to just pull out the "drugs" card is far too simplistic and naive.

Sep 18, 2011
here
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea / Ferrari F1
Tried to shield the tv from my daughters as much as I could, but kids pick up everything no matter how small a sample, then this morning, out of the blue, my 6 yr old says "how could a son kill his own Dad"....how do I answer this question?
Quickly changed the topic to the dance concert she has today and gave my girls the biggest hug! This tradgedy is So sad on so many levels!

ploppy

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's ridiculous, you can't expect players who have just been hit with the most shocking news imaginable about their coach - who would have been a father figure to them - to front up for a game of bloody football three days later. And you haven't paid attention to what Phil Walsh was about if you think he would expect otherwise.
just but a black arm band on and go out and play. life has to go on. Phil would have played.

ab56452001

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Walsh revealed the following after the Brent Reilly accident at training

Long before the Reilly accident, Walsh had realised he needed to change some things about himself. Afterwards he became convinced of it.

"Part of the old Phil Walsh might have screamed at Brent Reilly to get up," said the new Adelaide coach. "Sitting in that hospital, I really wondered if the worst happened whether I would be able to make those same physical demands on the team.

"In the end, after he came through the operation, I told the guys: 'Let's just get through the week. I won't coach and I won't make demands on you and if you don't feel you can train, then don't.

"What I've learnt from working with large groups is that we all deal with grief differently. We needed to find out who was grieving and get them the relief they needed. We did a combined session and those who needed to stay away did so.

"Everyone saw what happened. A few of them have their demons about it and we're dealing with that.

"Footy clubs are so competitive and, as a group, we judge people constantly and negatively. What I've tried to do is find the 10 things that connect us."

Gotta disagree with you there , I like many many others have offered our condolences to his family and club , it was a shocking thing that happened . Its like if a terrorist outfit threatened the Olympics , Afl GF or a parliamentary sitting , we must continue . I had coached ( Amateurs )for years and on more than 1 occasion similar happened , and we played on, one time I remember especialy a lad's Grandfather died , he was well known to me aswell , a terrific bloke and a real footy nut like the rest of us , well we did the armband thing and we said a few words before the game , but during the week I spoke to this lads father and his dad explained how much his popa loved watching him play , he basically lived for it and that he was 100% certain he wouldn't want his grandson to not play , I nowing this gent well agreed , so the lad played . Im not trying to be a smart arse or a hero but if I were in the same situation and I could have a say from the grave , id say go and play the game.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
just but a black arm band on and go out and play. life has to go on. Phil would have played.

Bullshit. If Phil were still around and it was another seniour figure at the club who this happened to, he would absolutely insist that they take the time they need. Their wellbeing would come before football.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Gotta disagree with you there , I like many many others have offered our condolences to his family and club , it was a shocking thing that happened . Its like if a terrorist outfit threatened the Olympics , Afl GF or a parliamentary sitting , we must continue . I had coached ( Amateurs )for years and on more than 1 occasion similar happened , and we played on, one time I remember especialy a lad's Grandfather died , he was well known to me aswell , a terrific bloke and a real footy nut like the rest of us , well we did the armband thing and we said a few words before the game , but during the week I spoke to this lads father and his dad explained how much his popa loved watching him play , he basically lived for it and that he was 100% certain he wouldn't want his grandson to not play , I nowing this gent well agreed , so the lad played . Im not trying to be a smart arse or a hero but if I were in the same situation and I could have a say from the grave , id say go and play the game.

On more than one occasion, seniour figures at your club were horrificly murdered at their home by their son?

We can't treat this as illness or natural causes, or accident. It is a terrible thing to happen to a fantastic bloke, that is going to play on minds for a while longer. We've all been through death, but I don't know how I'd function if a friend and mentor of mine who I seen everyday was murdered.

That example has no semblance to what happened on Thursday. Look I utterly disagree with you in this specific case and I'm not going to continue this discussion because that's not what this thread is about.

ab56452001

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2009
salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On more than one occasion, seniour figures at your club were horrificly murdered at their home by their son?

We can't treat this as illness or natural causes, or accident. It is a terrible thing to happen to a fantastic bloke, that is going to play on minds for a while longer. We've all been through death, but I don't know how I'd function if a friend and mentor of mine who I seen everyday was murdered.
Yes quit similar happened , an Auntie was murdered in Whyalla , we played on , every one's different I suppose.

It's one thing for an individual member of a team to play in that situation. He has the rest of his team mates to rally around him and give him support if they can see him struggling. This is an entire team/club that are feeling shattered. Try and imagine our boys coming out and playing a game just a few days after they lost JMac. There is no way on God's earth they could have done that. They had the whole of pre-season to come to terms with it and still struggled.

Back