Liam Shiels v Rory Sloane

Shiels or Sloane

• Shiels

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Sloane

Votes: 80 82.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again you fail to address Sloane's more serious and frequent injuries plus his statistical superiorities.

He doesn't have statistical superiorities this year though, and that's the point I'm making. Your whole argument falls apart on that assumption.

He doesn't have statistical superiorities this year though, and that's the point I'm making. Your whole argument falls apart on that assumption.
They are equal in most areas, Shiels has Sloane in tackles but Sloane has Shiels in clearances and smashes him in contested possessions. Sloane has also spent 7% less TOG than Shiels, so Shiels' averages are a bit inflated when compared to Sloane.

Sloane is winning the poll 26-0 (taking out Hawthorn supporters), you're sighting for a lost cause.

. Sloane has also spent 7% less TOG than Shiels, so Shiels' averages are a bit inflated when compared to Sloane.

No they're not, 7% TOG wouldn't even be a significant difference, there is anything between 5 and 10% TOG difference between elite midfielders in the AFL regardless of injury.

Sloane is winning the poll 26-0 (taking out Hawthorn supporters), you're sighting for a lost cause.

What does that have to do with anything? I have no interest in improving the poll ratios; just pointing out that Shiels form this year is not reflected in the voting.

No they're not, 7% TOG wouldn't even be a significant difference, there is anything between 5 and 10% TOG difference between elite midfielders in the AFL regardless of injury.

What does that have to do with anything? I have no interest in improving the poll ratios; just pointing out that Shiels form this year is not reflected in the voting.
Gaff is playing better then shield this year and I would pick sloane over gaff everyday of the week.

Your argument falls apart when you say Shiels 'may' have taken his game to another level.
Even if Shiels has his best year this year, Sloane is still the better played.
You're either incredibly bias, stupid or have no knowledge of football if you think otherwise.

Disagree. I'd take Sloane over Shiels too but you're underrating Shiels. He'd be best 22 in every team in the league.
I don't think so, and would be at least borderline at clubs like Freo and Sydney.

I don't think so, and would be at least borderline at clubs like Freo and Sydney.

Fair enough. Although IMO he'd get a gig ahead of Barlow for Freo, and Sam Lloyd and Tom Mitchell for Sydney. Hawthorn just about have the best midfield in the league (IMO), so if he can hold down a spot for them I can't really see how any other club could keep him out.

Fair enough. Although IMO he'd get a gig ahead of Barlow for Freo, and Sam Lloyd and Tom Mitchell for Sydney. Hawthorn just about have the best midfield in the league (IMO), so if he can hold down a spot for them I can't really see how any other club could keep him out.
There is absolutely no way he gets a game ahead of Barlow. I disagree, I prefer Sydney's and Freo's, as do the stats (Fremantle's CP and clearance differential are out of this world)

Not a chance he plays before Barlow.

Shiels is a gun, one of those players who allows others to star through his defensive work and blocking. Now he's starting to hurt more the other way too, he'd make every team no question. That said Sloane by a fair bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sloane is the better player but what clubs would Shiels not get a game in? What a joke
See above. Fremantle and Sydney IMO, would at least be borderline there.

There is absolutely no way he gets a game ahead of Barlow. I disagree, I prefer Sydney's and Freo's, as do the stats (Fremantle's CP and clearance differential are out of this world)

Shiels is having a better year than Barlow. Is also quicker around the ground and more damaging with his disposal. Also doesn't have the benefit of the league's best tap ruckman putting it down his throat. Maybe it's just me but I'd take Shiels currently.

Shiels has had a great year and is a very underrated player but Rory is one of the league's best.

Incredible to think Beams, Hannebery, Shiels and Sloane all went later in that 2008 draft. Could build a team around those guys

Shiels waltzes into every 22 in the league, no question. Sloane though has clearly proven himself to be on another level. Kind of embarrassing poll.

Shiels has had a great year and is a very underrated player but Rory is one of the league's best.

Incredible to think Beams, Hannebery, Shiels and Sloane all went later in that 2008 draft. Could build a team around those guys

Tip of the iceberg for the 08 draft

FB Suban - Dawson - Broadbent
HB Hartlett - Davis - Rich
C Hannebery - Ziebell - Sidebottom
HF Breust - Hurley - Motlop
FF Ballantyne - Vickery - Walters
R Naitanui - Redden - Beams
IC Rockliff - Shiels - Sloane - Shuey

HM Zaharakis, Yarran, Clarke, Robinson, Hunt, Watts, Savage, Garlett, Schoenmakers, Blair, Picken, Pike, Keefe, Broughton, Suckling, Banfield, Stanley

Last edited:
With due respect, Sheils is playing footy of the highest quality. Probably second only to Mitchell presently at Hawthorn.

I'd say that Burgoyne, Gibson, Hodge, Lewis, Smith have all had comparable or better seasons. I love Shiels but Sloane is closer to Fyfe than he is to Shiels.

Tip of the iceberg for the 08 draft

FB Suban - Dawson - Broadbent
HB Hartlett - Davis - Rich
C Hannebery - Ziebell - Sidebottom
HF Breust - Hurley - Motlop
FF Ballantyne - Vickery - Walters
R Naitanui - Redden - Beams
IC Rockliff - Shiels - Sloane - Shuey

HM Yarran, Clarke, Robinson, Hunt, Watts, Savage, Garlett, Schoenmakers, Blair, Picken, Pike, Keefe, Broughton, Suckling, Banfield, Stanley
You'd play Hurley FB and Schoenmakers or Watts ahead of Dawson, surely? Zaharakis not even an HM? Better than pretty much all of the ones listed/

You'd play Hurley FB and Schoenmakers or Watts ahead of Dawson, surely? Zaharakis not even an HM? Better than pretty much all of the ones listed/

Forgot to add Zaha to the HMs when I took him out of the 22. Schoenmakers to CHF makes sense but he isn't proven there over a stretch by any means. Hurley is only there due to lack of KPF options and to be fair to Dawson, he's held down full back for one of the best teams of the past few years and done well for himself. Couldn't justify taking him out for Schoenmakers and Watts is no key forward.

Back