Preview MATCH CANCELLED: AFL Round 14 - Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, 3:20PM Sunday 5 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are you saying? We should have received 1 and Adelaide 3 because this was in Adelaide?
Like I said. The suggestion of an 8 point game wasn't absurd.

And unlike some here. I didn't give a s**t about points when I heard the news.
When did I ever imply that absurd scenario? The 8 point scenario you came up with is the most idiotic statement I've seen for quite some time.

When did I ever imply that absurd scenario? The 8 point scenario you came up with is the most idiotic statement I've seen for quite some time.
You were suggesting an 8 point game in Geelong wasn't fair.
So are you saying we got out like bandits with 2 points in Adelaide?

VALE PHIL WALSH - A GUN - by Mark Yeates
I write this with sincere condolences to the Walsh family.
Born in 1960 in Mt.Gambier I was blessed to grow up and play football.
At the age of 15, I came across an opponent who I had played against in my junior years who was playing in the seniors for Hamilton . He was born in 1960 too. We were the same age.
My senior coach one day, in his address before the game against Hamilton,instructed everyone in our team "DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE KID ON THE WING, HE CAN PLAY!".
I (as a kid playing with and against men) already knew this.
The KID'S name was Phillip Walsh and I knew he could play as both he and had represented Collingwood together as team mates in an under 15 carnival in Melbourne the year before.
That day Phil went out and totally obliterated and embarrassed grown men (who paid him no respect) at Melville Oval and as he walked off the ground at the end of the game he asked me "Yeatesy, why did'n't you come and play on me?".
I replied "I was too busy making your old men look stupid too!"
We had a beer (oops.. soft drink) after the game and agreed football was the best thing that had happened to us.
We were both young men who loved the physical aspect and the pure competitiveness of playing the game. We both dreamed of one day making the big time.
Only 4 or 5 years later I lined up on him at Victoria Park playing seniors for Geelong. He was with the Pies.
We shook hands before the game and he said something like "Geez it's taken a while for you to pick me up but at least we both have made it'.
After that the friendship was forgotten and the gloves were off as we tested each other mentally and physically for 120 minutes as you do when you play for keeps.
I ran across the man in the field of on numerous occasions after that and nothing ever changed as he represented the Tigers and the Bears in his illustrious career. The only thing that changed was his team and I used to say to him "What's with the different jumper Walshy?'
He'd reply "My heart hasn't!
I was absolutely thrilled when he was appointed as the Crows coach this year and absolutely devastated ( like everyone else) with his passing.
I am obviously not alone in my admiration for this man and I have only felt the urge to do this when the dust has settled after hearing the news this morning and having to work today like everyone else.
I have raised a glass tonight and am going to empty the rest of the bottle (and maybe a couple more) to drown the pain but not my memory of this great bloke.
We are here one day and gone the next........
Better go and get another drink and turn up the Youngblood's "Let's Get Together'.
All the best Phil. See you in another jumper upstairs one day
All my love and respect,
Mark Yeates

After the shock had settled this morning, I did wonder what it meant for Geelong. I hoped the game would be canceled and we'd split the points. We have and that was clearly the right thing to do. If 2 points deny us finals, who cares, really? We would have been making up numbers. This is a crazy circumstance we're in and I'm glad the club and league is compassionate.

After the shock had settled this morning, I did wonder what it meant for Geelong. I hoped the game would be canceled and we'd split the points. We have and that was clearly the right thing to do. If 2 points deny us finals, who cares, really? We would have been making up numbers. This is a crazy circumstance we're in and I'm glad the club and league is compassionate.
That's exactly how I feel about it as well :thumbsu:

Rivalries come and they go, but respect sticks with someone forever.

The way you guys have handled this tragic situation, supporters and club alike, has been outstanding, and has earned my respect as well as the entire football worlds. You guys made the right call no matter the outcome at the end of the year, very classy act. RIP Phil Walsh, a sad loss.

Rest in peace Walshy, you lived a successful life which ended in the most unfortunate and undeserving way.
Very proud to be a Cat today, winning is great but showing empathy and respect to another is greater.
Both Adelaide and Geelong will come out stronger after this. Showing mutual respect will make clubs thrive.
The Pies and Hawks have also sent a very powerful football message tonight.

Phil Walsh, this is the legacy you have left behind UNITY.

To add to this, someone on the channel 7 commentary team last night highlighted that Geelong had been fantastic when this scenario was put to them.

The club apparently responded that they'd accept whatever the Crows were comfortable with, even if it was zero points, as premiership points were insignificant in comparison.

Not that I'd have expected any different from our club, but very proud to have it affirmed. :thumbsu:

(for any Crows supporters popping by, I'm really feeling for you atm. Such a tragic and horrendously unique experience for your club. I hope everyone involved is able to grieve and heal in peace.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GFC has been a class act all the way with how your club has handled such difficult circumstances.
I couldn't see any other club responding in any other way to be honest,my only concern was the AFL it self, they were the ones who had to weigh up every situation with really very little time for proper consultation,the tentacle of this decision run off in all directions,so well done to the AFL Gillon McLachlan and the new administration,in this case they have made the right decision and will sort out any flow on effects if any as they arise. Big tick from me.

VALE PHIL WALSH - A GUN - by Mark Yeates
I write this with sincere condolences to the Walsh family.
Born in 1960 in Mt.Gambier I was blessed to grow up and play football.
At the age of 15, I came across an opponent who I had played against in my junior years who was playing in the seniors for Hamilton . He was born in 1960 too. We were the same age.
My senior coach one day, in his address before the game against Hamilton,instructed everyone in our team "DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE KID ON THE WING, HE CAN PLAY!".
I (as a kid playing with and against men) already knew this.
The KID'S name was Phillip Walsh and I knew he could play as both he and had represented Collingwood together as team mates in an under 15 carnival in Melbourne the year before.
That day Phil went out and totally obliterated and embarrassed grown men (who paid him no respect) at Melville Oval and as he walked off the ground at the end of the game he asked me "Yeatesy, why did'n't you come and play on me?".
I replied "I was too busy making your old men look stupid too!"
We had a beer (oops.. soft drink) after the game and agreed football was the best thing that had happened to us.
We were both young men who loved the physical aspect and the pure competitiveness of playing the game. We both dreamed of one day making the big time.
Only 4 or 5 years later I lined up on him at Victoria Park playing seniors for Geelong. He was with the Pies.
We shook hands before the game and he said something like "Geez it's taken a while for you to pick me up but at least we both have made it'.
After that the friendship was forgotten and the gloves were off as we tested each other mentally and physically for 120 minutes as you do when you play for keeps.
I ran across the man in the field of on numerous occasions after that and nothing ever changed as he represented the Tigers and the Bears in his illustrious career. The only thing that changed was his team and I used to say to him "What's with the different jumper Walshy?'
He'd reply "My heart hasn't!
I was absolutely thrilled when he was appointed as the Crows coach this year and absolutely devastated ( like everyone else) with his passing.
I am obviously not alone in my admiration for this man and I have only felt the urge to do this when the dust has settled after hearing the news this morning and having to work today like everyone else.
I have raised a glass tonight and am going to empty the rest of the bottle (and maybe a couple more) to drown the pain but not my memory of this great bloke.
We are here one day and gone the next........
Better go and get another drink and turn up the Youngblood's "Let's Get Together'.
All the best Phil. See you in another jumper upstairs one day
All my love and respect,
Mark Yeates
Thank for posting that, mate. I read it to my wife (a big Crows' supporter) and she started crying. It almost made me burst into tears, too. What a touching tribute by Yeatesy.:thumbsu:

Thank for posting that, mate. I read it to my wife (a big Crows' supporter) and she started crying. It almost made me burst into tears, too. What a touching tribute by Yeatesy.:thumbsu:
I'm not afraid to admit I shed a tear and I never knew the man... a touching response.

The effect's of an extra game off ? I'm sure they'll be put through a high intensity program this morning but hard to tell. Lang was already out, so he's not effected by the game off but it'll help young grego probably riv and that's about it in the starting 22.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back