Retired # 4: Jobe Watson - Now coach at Xavier College 28/11

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations on your 200th jobe. He seems like a great person and I think we were lucky that he was our captain for the last 2 and a half years to help get the club through it.

I hope for his sake he can find the passion and love for the game again, but I would completely accept him making whatever decision he thinks is right for him at the end of the year.

Watson has been outstanding throughout this whole mess and I can't think of a better player to lead by example through all of this. It sucks that he says he's not enjoying it anymore, I just hope he stays on at the EFC in some capacity.

I read the interview that there are parts of the game he no longer enjoys, not the game completely. That is the same for anyone in their job - didn't take it that he wanted to finish up. Maybe being naive?

Congratulations to Jobe, an absolute champion.

Selfishly, I hope he plays on, but I wouldn't blame him if he called it a day. The stress would be immense. Honestly, I am not sure if relinquishing the captaincy would alleviate any of the pressure. He'd still be a Captain/Leader, just without the title.

Superstar.

Playing devil's advocate here so don't slam me to hard. If the club decides we need to rebuild and Jobe needs a change of scenery to reignight his passion for the game etc... Would anyone entertain clearing Jobe for a crack at a flag for a reasonable pick? BJ, Jobe, Cooney, Chappy, Gwilt and Stants aren't getting any younger either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we can finally give one of our champs a win in their milestone game. We haven't done well at that of late.

As for Jobe's future - i hope he plays on for years yet but we shall see how this year plays out and what happens after that. Whatever happens, happens. I'm just going to hope for the best.

From Robbo.

http://www.news.com.au/national/why...s-essendon-coach/story-e6frfkp9-1227429600534

What has happened to the captain, Jobe Watson?

He was very poor on Sunday and has been for much of the season and it seems the WADA toil has sucked the life out of him.

It’s as though he doesn’t want to play football any more.

If that’s the case, the Bombers might as well send him away for a month, or longer, so he can decide his immediate and long-term future.

He is contracted for next year, and the money would be high end, but he needs to find direction.

He is the skipper and players follow his lead. He used to inspire his teammates.

But if it’s not in him, or he believes he can’t find the necessary passion, he may as well retire and he and the club work out some sort payout.

I kinda agree.

Think some on BF need to suck it up and accept that players are cooked by the Supplements saga.
Think nearly everyone knows that, the question is what do we do about it? Ride it out for the good of the players who have been dealt a horrible hand or move on business as usual and treat poor performances like other clubs?

Either way not sure anyone really knows the right answer.

What a disgraceful performance served up by the rest of the players. Couldn't lift, like Jobe has countless time before for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back