Changes v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The 7 against Geelong - showed skills and marking ability and was able to get free and outrun defenders.

The 4 against Essendon - 2 from frees but the other two were because he ran to the right place and Gray showed confidence in him.
He's lost his pace and is no longer effective

Unfortunately another game where SANFL form isnt going to be able to effect selection. No Magpies game now means a few blokes on the verge of selection cant show what they have got to bring to the A grade. Gives Ken another reason not make real changes despite what he said in his presser.

Stewart proved he could contribute off only a 4 game break.

In: Mitchell or Neade as the sub

Slim pickings. I'm beginning to think that Carlton have more depth.
We have Trengove, Clurey, Young, Amon, Neade, Mitchell, O'Shea, Redden, Sam Gray, Logan, Harvey and Butcher to choose from.

The problem isn't depth, it's a mix of the coaching tactics and the under-performing top players.

Last edited:
Jonas needs a spell.

Is that the one that magically brings him a better kicking motion..... he is the worst.

Harvey to debut.
Why when you have Ryder, bring in a harder running, butt gusting middy instead.

Out: Schulz
In: Redden

4th man up!!!

Seriously though, I'd probably drop Moore and jonas for trengrove and Mitchell.

You were going ok until you mentioned Mitchell.

OUT: Monfries, Jonas, Schulz (sus), Carlie, Broadbent,

IN: Neade, Jack (if fit), Clurey, Amon, S. Gray... and a clear distinct colour difference between jumoers..... all black, no white panel back

Watching that game last night made me recluse we are miles off that intensity.

We aren't really, we just don't do it long enough, and it seems at time when we do get into that mode, we seem to cluster phuk the crucial kick. We had that intensity in the last 5 mins in our game against the Swans.

It was like watching a cooking where a chef is running out time quickly stuffing up everything because he didn't prep before hand. the intensity is there, but its all over the shop.

Hoons defensive work is non existent...For me

If he's the spare man in defence or on the wing with loads of space he is a great playmaker.

Defending + ball use under pressure is definitely not a strong point.

Hoon is what he is - a savvy little guy who reads the play better than most - its hard in the modern game to know exactly what a players role/responsibility is during games. Love Hoon, but I am unsure where he fits in long term. Kornes V2?

We have Trengove, Clurey, Young, Amon, Neade, Mitchell, O'Shea, Redden, Sam Gray, Logan, Harvey and Butcher to choose from.

The problem isn't depth, it's a mix of the coaching tactics and the under-performing top players.

Harvey has never played a game, Logan isn't eligible for an upgrade, Gray and Mitchell would be going backwards on any player that played on Thursday, Redden isn't in the conversation and Amon/Clurey haven't played 10 games between them.

I'm with The Flying Doormat here

What you listed wasn't afl depth it was players not selected in our Thursday game.

Hoon is what he is - a savvy little guy who reads the play better than most - its hard in the modern game to know exactly what a players role/responsibility is during games. Love Hoon, but I am unsure where he fits in long term. Kornes V2?

I'm happy with him presenting when not a single other person can find space. He stays in the side just for that. Just like Cornes did. He's young we can change kicking habits and teach him to be a metre eater.

I'm happy with him presenting when not a single other person can find space. He stays in the side just for that. Just like Cornes did. He's young we can change kicking habits and teach him to be a metre eater.
Hoon's kicking efficiency has been very good at AFL level. It shows me he can concentrate and improve. He is a great kid as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so sure about that , you can teach a person that has ticker anything , but a person with no ticker can be the most skillfull of all , it won't matter . When theres physical pressure on him he's terrible , nothings really changed since he was at Centrals , when your 50 meters in the clear in a dominant side everybody looks good , was against drafting him and still not convinced , we had/have plenty his size and I don't believe he will ever be able to stop his opponent . Harsh call by me I know , but I reckon its correct.

Harvey has never played a game, Logan isn't eligible for an upgrade, Gray and Mitchell would be going backwards on any player that played on Thursday, Redden isn't in the conversation and Amon/Clurey haven't played 10 games between them.

I also included Butcher on that list.

Re: Harvey to debut - Why when you have Ryder, bring in a harder running, butt gusting middy instead.

Are you forgetting Schulz is likely to miss a few games and Ryder kicked 0 goals and had 3 possessions?

What hard running, butt gusting midfielders do we have to bring in?

Young? Very down on form.
Amon? I want him in, but he's very inexperienced and not like to make a huge impact.
Sam Gray? Ship has sailed.
Kane Mitchell? Likewise.
Neede? Hasn't played a 4 qtr game in a long time. Isn't a midfielder.
Moore? Vanilla.

Are you forgetting Schulz is likely to miss a few games and Ryder kicked 0 goals and had 3 possessions?

What harder running, butt gusting midfielders do we have to bring in?

Young? Very down on form.
Amon? I want him in, but he's very inexperienced and not like to make a huge impact.
Sam Gray? Ship has sailed.
Kane Mitchell? Likewise.
Your right , ive been sticking up for Ryder ,but , for this game he should be docked pay , bloody pathetic !

Slim pickings. I'm beginning to think that Carlton have more depth.
Depth is not the issue. In fact no one would have uttered depth as an issue last year or the year before. We have too many players under performing from the levels which we have seen them as capable. It is not rocket science. The issue is getting most of them up and about at the same time. Just a s**t year really.

The Hoon is an accumulater, he is another of the outside wingman types on the list, I'm not convinced yet but he MAY have more upside than some of the others.
I remember watching him on the teev in a game at the ponderosa when he was still on the doggie's list, he spent the vast majority of that game 20 - 30 metres out on his own as the linkman gathering the footy at will, but the downside is no player will get that much free space in the AFL.

I remember thinking, geez he is another Ron Hately, those old enough to remember Ron when he played for south would know that if he got any wider he would have been in the hot dog stand. :rolleyes:

OUT- Jonas, Schultz, Monfries, Lobbe
IN- Trengrove, Amon, Neade, Butcher, Clurey

Maybe Stewart out, Clurey in - I'm 50/50. But Stewart played well against Sydney (and can play Monfries role), but I'd like to see AFL games into Clurey - he has the potential to be a gun defender

Moore. Sub.

We are too slow and with ken's game plan, we need speed/enthusiasm... speed gives players more time to execute, and will hopefully increase skills. Also Neade, and Amon can actually kick.

Depth is not the issue. In fact no one would have uttered depth as an issue last year or the year before. We have too many players under performing from the levels which we have seen them as capable. It is not rocket science. The issue is getting most of them up and about at the same time. Just a s**t year really.

Many people did. On this board, the main board and in the media. Most of this board shot it down on the basis of slight overrating of a few and the sanfl grand final appearance.

The Hoon is an accumulater, he is another of the outside wingman types on the list, I'm not convinced yet but he MAY have more upside than some of the others.
I remember watching him on the teev in a game at the ponderosa when he was still on the doggie's list, he spent the vast majority of that game 20 - 30 metres out on his own as the linkman gathering the footy at will, but the downside is no player will get that much free space in the AFL.

I remember thinking, geez he is another Ron Hately, those old enough to remember Ron when he played for south would know that if he got any wider he would have been in the hot dog stand. :rolleyes:
Classic one that mate with Hartley , we have an old saying up here in the northern suburbs , " if he goes any wider on that wing , he'll end up at the St Kilda Hotel ! " As you may have gathered seagulling hbf types are not my favourite type of player , when I hear people say , oh but nobody protected this skillfull player , nobody ran next to him , sheparding him so he could use his skillfull kicking , makes me puke , its like others should wear the blows so he can look pretty , play with a body guard next to him so to speak !.

Exactly. As I've posted previously top teams with genuine top end talent make mediocre footballers look good. They appear to have good depth but it's just the best players who have combined into a cohesive team with a bullet-proof gameplan lifts them up. When the top end talent fades away or gets injured holes suddenly appear and people are always genuinely surprised by the fall, because they don't give enough credit to the genuine quality.

Our depth, while still balancing up, is fine as long as enough of our best players are on the park, but our development is a curiosity. We seem to back some odd horses for development. We're blooding some good players but we're not developing them. Maybe that will change with Ah Chee from here on. We can develop Amon now too. He's young but he shows enough composure and the skills we need right now (good kick, pace).

It has to be remembered too that from our finals teams of the past two years we are missing Polec, White, K Cornes, O'Shea and Neade. The first three are genuine top end talent and not easily replaced while O'Shea was a first 18 contributor and Neade useful and a distraction. You can throw in Cassisi for his leadership too. Those players are not easily replaced by inexperienced/so called depth players.

On top of that Trengove has struggled all year with injury, Schulz has barely fired a shot, Jonas has sailed into the Bermuda Triangle of form, Carlile has taken on the mobility of the Queen Mary since injury, and Monfries has been buggered with a ridiculous defensive role. You wonder if this coaching group would use Roger James as a tagger if he was still playing.

It's nice Ken is talking about players having to reach an acceptable AFL standard but he's come to this realisation at least six weeks too late.

Our gameplan has changed and the players don't seem comfortable with it. Too much credit is being given to opposition teams but last year they weren't that good at stopping us and not enough responsibility being taken for messing too much with something that worked pretty well. Ken keeps talking about execution, so who pays - the concubines or the general?

I've said before this season was ruined before it started with a bizarre pre-season, arrogant selection decisions (how many underdone players did we take into the Freo game?) and deny it as they will a fitness program that went too far into elite running territory and ignored the basic concept of football as a gladiatorial collision sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back