News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sitting in a motel room in Vancouver after the longest flight (Heard the news just before we boarded) I should be celebrating the experiences ahead but instead feel extremely flat.
I guess not being involved in the grieving process back home makes this seem so unbelievable.
And im thinking if this tragic event can so greatly affect one who has never even met PW....Then i cant even imagine what his family and friends must be going through.
But situations like this bring out the best in people. To read about the coming together after the game last night made me proud of our game and the people involved.
Well done to all.

Sitting in a motel room in Vancouver after the longest flight (Heard the news just before we boarded) I should be celebrating the experiences ahead but instead feel extremely flat.
I guess not being involved in the grieving process back home makes this seem so unbelievable.
And im thinking if this tragic event can so greatly affect one who has never even met PW....Then i cant even imagine what his family and friends must be going through.
But situations like this bring out the best in people. To read about the coming together after the game last night made me proud of our game and the people involved.
Well done to all.
Keep posting on here mate. It's helped me a lot.

It's funny though isn't it? We don't know him personally but feel this way. I feel like I know him from his pressers and other media and fell in love with him. I feel like he was someone special, irreplaceable and he's lost.

Can't imagine how the players feel. Let alone his wife, daughter and family.

It's funny though isn't it? We don't know him personally but feel this way. I feel like I know him from his pressers and other media and fell in love with him. I feel like he was someone special, irreplaceable and he's lost.

If you think of his additions to the footy vernacular in just half a season - imagine years in the job.

It's a powerful thing when you can add to the way people talk - whoever had talked "ground ball" before?

If you think of his additions to the footy vernacular in just half a season - imagine years in the job.

It's a powerful thing when you can add to the way people talk - whoever had talked "ground ball" before?
I never got the same sense that "this guy 110% knows what he's doing" from any other coach, premiership coach or not. Irreplaceable football coach lost on top of just being a great bloke.

I'm in Spain. I found out very late last night via fb and thought that it was a sick joke at first. I'm supposed to be working the Pamplona festival for a tour group. I feel like I can't befestive, I'm just so devastated. I have been os since before the start of the AFL season so haven't even watched a live game so far. Shattered.

Rest in peace Walshy, you lived a successful life which ended in the most unfortunate and undeserving way.
Very proud to be a Cat today, winning is great but showing empathy and respect to another team is greater.
Both Adelaide and Geelong will come out stronger after this on and off the field. Showing mutual respect is what makes clubs thrive.
The Pies and Hawks have also sent a very powerful football message tonight.

Phil Walsh, this is the legacy you have left behind UNITY.

I'm incredibly impressed by how the Cats have handled this.

I'm in Spain. I found out very late last night via fb and thought that it was a sick joke at first. I'm supposed to be working the Pamplona festival for a tour group. I feel like I can't befestive, I'm just so devastated. I have been os since before the start of the AFL season so haven't even watched a live game so far. Shattered.

Yesterday morning I found out half an hour before the biggest business deal I've ever done. I had to steel myself for the meeting because I was struggling to focus. I put on a show but when the deal was done I wasn't even excited, I was still numb and if anything made my brain a bit sketchy trying to think of the deal and deal with the tragedy.

Keep posting in here, it will help. We need to get around each other too and I never thought this board would be so therapeutic during this tragedy.

Shattered by this. Was warming to his idiosyncrasies and in an instant he has lost his life. He talked about his near death experience in Peru, love of surfing and how he valued life. He loved football. He has had a undeniable impact on both Adelaide sides. How many times did he say next man up, but I cant see a man of his quality waiting in the wings. Huge respect for his life. I will let this slowly sink in. But i don't think ill get over this for a while. Respect. RIP.

I just keep thinking it can't be real.. It's just so heartbreaking!!
It's going to also be so so hard for the club to bounce back from this, not just this year but for a period of time to come, we need to start over again.
Just at a time when all crows fans were seeing such a turnaround in all facets of the club.

Shattered by this. Was warming to his idiosyncrasies and in an instant he has lost his life. He talked about his near death experience in Peru, love of surfing and how he valued life. He loved football. He has had a undeniable impact on both Adelaide sides. How many times did he say next man up, but I cant see a man of his quality waiting in the wings. Huge respect for his life. I will let this slowly sink in. But i don't think ill get over this for a while. Respect. RIP.

That's the biggest thing for me. He was a once in a blue moon kind of guy. We've lost the best person and coach for these players and there's an incredible amount of daylight between Phil and the 'next man up'. I can't imagine who is going to come in and replace him. There is no precedent for this. Who on earth is going to be able to step and be able to inspire these guys now? Hardest job in the world.

It was kind of quiet at the beginning. Most supporters weren't really that vocal. It was more just polite clapping for goals etc.

People got more into the game as it went on, but once the siren went and you walk outside reality hit.

Very sad day indeed.

I think that's how the showdown will be. The ground will be like a morgue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I woke at 5 this morning staring at the ceiling! Had to get up, just couldnt lie there.

Feel like I knew him. He was just what our club and players needed.

It feels like a dream :(
Went to sleep last night with Phil Walsh on my mind. Woke this morning and my first thought was 'surely it's all been a dream'. Sadly, sadly no. :(:cry:. Can't stop thinking about it, especially Meredith and daughter, and what's to become of his son, and how could this happen, and why…and I realised I'm feeling true grief, not that I give a **** about me feeling sad, but real grief like when I lost my father, and I didn't even know Phil Walsh. It's just unimaginable, as to how his family feels, …and all our Crows boys who were so much closer to Walshy than any of us.

I hope the dark days surrounding this pass quickly, though impossible I know for family and close friends. As a footy club, I hope that we celebrate Phil's life, and we don't carry this as a scar, but remember Walshy for the beacon of light that he was to the AFC.

I wanted to say something all yesterday...... And as I had thoughts words just do not do justice to the emotions.

Sanders posts exactly reflected how I was feeling.

We grieve for a man taken too soon. We grieve for the tragedy and feel for his family.

As a public figure we felt we were getting to know him. He commanded respect. He was passionate.

We will never see his masterpiece. And we cry, not because of football and where he might lead us, but because it is a tragedy when life is taken. A life full of enery, enthusiasm and direction, and he was inspirational. He was our leader and we lost him and it hurts.

I was driving down Marion road last night and saw the digital billboard with a tribute and teared up. I saw all the tributes this morning on social media and am tearing up. This is s**t but together we will get through.

My thoughts are constantly with the club staff and players who were so close to him. And with his wife and daughter to whom the tragedy is unimaginable.

Rest in Peace.

I told myself when I went to bed last night that today I would snap out of it. I would shed no more tears and I would get on with my life. Its not going to happen.

I met Phil a couple of times. Once, after chatting with him for a few minutes pre game I ended up pointing to the players out on the ground warming up and said 'OK well you better go'. Such was his willingness and openness to chat that I ended up feeling like I had taken up too much of his time.

People feel uncomfortable grieving so deeply for a person they never actually knew. But the thing is we did know Phil Walsh. What you saw was what you got. Every time he spoke we got to know him a little better. There was no bullshit, what he said he believed. He resonated with people. His players respected him like a father and loved him like a father as well. We all saw that in him. He brought an earthiness and authenticity that many had been screaming for at our club. We wanted a blue collar battler and we got one.

Its OK to grieve him, because we all knew him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back