Autopsy Post game. Close but not quite. Pies down by 10

Nov 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
76ers/Rockies/Colts/West Ham
I think we would have lost this game by 8 goals last season.

How effort and dedication is unquestionable but our skills, outside our key players, are so poor. The set shot kicking last night was disastrous and it cost us the game in the end.

I understand how players can miss goals but Cloke, Fasolo and White miss goals that children could kick and I just can't forgive them for it.

We have some damn good young players though and the future is definitely bright but we need some polish and we need some forwards who we can rely on the kick goals.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
That's simply not good enough tbh. We've seen what this group can do, and it's progressed quicker than we all imagine. Port and West Coast at Etihad are games we should really be beating if we're a serious side. The dogs, I would say we should be beating, but the dogs at Etihad are 5x better than the dogs at the G so I'd give that a 50/50.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a bit of a let down week after the last 2 close efforts. TEAM trying its guts and hearts out can be both physically and mentally draining. Being such a young team expect a drop.off in intensity eventually.

shizzle

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Bloody good effort from the lads last night, on one hand I was happy to see us end that run of thumpings by the hawks, but still another game we should have won. Clearly there doesn't need to be much fixing or changing of players, our boys and Bucks much talked about gameplan seems to be doing pretty damn well.

We are good enough to beat the best sides if we can kick straight.

ColinMochrie

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I just can't believe some people. The same people who were saying how bad we were and bottom 4 was coming are now saying close losses to top sides are unacceptable.

If you can't enjoy the journey to the top and think that premierships are the only measure of success you should find a more enjoyable hobby because you are going to have 1 happy year every 20.

We are younger than everyteam bar gold coast, gws and the bulldogs. These performances iin the last fortnight were great signs of the future. We aren't in the position yet to challenge.

Just sit back, watch the development and be happy in the improvement we have shown.

Sep 29, 2004
Merimbula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Bengals
I just can't believe some people. The same people who were saying how bad we were and bottom 4 was coming are now saying close losses to top sides are unacceptable.

If you can't enjoy the journey to the top and think that premierships are the only measure of success you should find a more enjoyable hobby because you are going to have 1 happy year every 20.

We are younger than everyteam bar gold coast, gws and the bulldogs. These performances iin the last fortnight were great signs of the future. We aren't in the position yet to challenge.

Just sit back, watch the development and be happy in the improvement we have shown.

Welcome to the Collingwood board Colin, I hope you enjoy your stay.

Towmotar

Senior List
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What did you think of Pendlebury's performance??

People always talk about Ablett, Fyfe, judd being the best players in the competition. They never talk about Pendles, he is the best for me.
I rate Pendlebury as the best player in the comp and my fave outside of the hawks. Fyffe be f*cked.
I thought Cloaks goal on the run from near the boundary line was astounding, especially as he normally couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. Shame he got away with the face palm on Duryea. Should have been pinged for that but both sides got away with a bit last night.
Thanks for the good contest pies.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Christ you guys are building a very good team, almost on the sly. All the 'rebuilding' attention has been on the strugglers - St Kilda, Melbourne, Bulldogs etc. Meanwhile you only missed finals once and are already on the upswing. Will finish 5-8 but with a lot to look forward to as early as 2016.

Superb drafting over the last few years. And Buckley has a few apologies coming his way from the criticism he copped a few years back.

Looking forward to a sold-out SCG in Rd 20 :thumbsu:

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
In the end I probably wasn't worried about the result due to what had gone on during the day.

Loved how we kept fighting back when it looked like the Hawks might pull away. Sure there was some inadequacies in front of goal which cost us, but there were so many positives too. Loving the work of Crisp. Soon to be my favourite player. There's some real exciting times just around the corner.

Have to pay tribute to both sides and the crowd at the end. Fantastic and very moving. A fitting end to a tragic day.

good4footy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
West Ham
We need Grundy and Greenwood back from next week. If either of them even put a toe on the ground today after half time with a 5 day break to Port, I will personally be looking for ways to stop the game- nudie run may cause my kids a life time of counselling but I will have to think of something.

I'm also tried of Hawks mentioning Frawley and Roughy when we have had Reid, Grundy, Greenwood, Sinclair/Ramsey and tonight Goldy missing. Sinclair / Ramsey would have been playing on Walters and Rioli instead of Tooves who is better suited to a medium forward.

I am angry about the fact we should be 10-3 at worst. It will also not surprise me if there is a big drop off next week from a young team that really set itself for the past two weeks.

I watched the game in a 'sports bar' in Kampot in southern Cambodia. Australia+ TV does not extend this far so the British owner had been persuaded to pay the $150 a year for AFL coverage.

The game started at 4.50pm local time. Three of us sat together watching the smaller TV in the open air bar. There was a Hawks supporter, an Adelaide supporter and me. Copious amounts of local beer were consumed, particularly as I had arrived 50 mins early and got a head's staff.

By the last quarter, with a faint hope of victory fueling my enthusiasm, I was becoming rather animated as we got ahead. With 2 and a half minutes to play and Collingwood 4 points down and heading into their forward line, the feed dropped out and we lost the picture. After several failed attempts to restart it, I got the final score off bigfooty. Talk about an anti-climax!

The boys played well but what a shame to lose through poor goal kicking. Cloke smashed Lake then threw any advantage gained away with poor kicking. Elliott was really disappointing. Our defence held up well but the Hawks goals came too easily given the difficulty we experienced around goals.

With Roughead out for the Hawks we had our best chance in a while to knock them off. Crisp, Varcoe, Pendlebury and Sidebottom gave us drive through the middle, but our forwards let us down badly with their inaccuracy.
I'm intrigued; what do they do?;)

Yabbys Heroes

Debutant
Jul 6, 2013
Home on the Range
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Prahran CC Storm
Not sure if I'll get red carded..but for what its worth..was a really good game last night...we got outta jail for sure, if you had kicked straighter who knows...?75k+ crowd doesn't happen every week in the AFL..great spectacle followed by a touching tribute at the end by both teams...Congrats to Bucks, Clarko , Pendles, Hodgey for organising and agreeing to such a moving show of unity....Pies are definitely coming...Love Pendles absolute gun..Swanny too...Great group of youngsters rising quickly..Backline really gelling..hope Browne can finally get some luck and Frost just keeps gettn better...Bucks has them inspired atm..see you in the finals......

Not sure if I'll get red carded..but for what its worth..was a really good game last night...we got outta jail for sure, if you had kicked straighter who knows...?75k+ crowd doesn't happen every week in the AFL..great spectacle followed by a touching tribute at the end by both teams...Congrats to Bucks, Clarko , Pendles, Hodgey for organising and agreeing to such a moving show of unity....Pies are definitely coming...Love Pendles absolute gun..Swanny too...Great group of youngsters rising quickly..Backline really gelling..hope Browne can finally get some luck and Frost just keeps gettn better...Bucks has them inspired atm..see you in the finals......
Nice post.
We only red card idiots.
Hopefully we do make the finals!

Prestigerrycomo

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
THanks,

We still have a bit of a way to go to be able to overtake your blokes. The strength of some of your players is incredible

Last edited:
waking up this morning in retrospect that loss long term will be a good thing.

Losing games you should have won is never fun but the whole playing group know where we have to improve now to win games like the last 2 that we have lost.

That third quarter was stunning football for a young team, might be the best quarter of football we've played in a few years, if you ignore the obvious fault.

We are going places, we have the best young coach in the AFL, and the second best young list (GWS are just unfair lol).

Looking forward to seeing more future guns in action today, couldn't be in a much better place for 2016 and on.

Yes, for 2015 that hurts, we've lost 3 games now where we've had the lead late in the game, but it is what it is, no excuses, move on and beat Port.

Lord Wilberforce

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
A lot of pros and cons from last night but some things to remember:
  • No Goldsack or Grundy. Goldsack has 130+ games and a flag, where most of our defence now has less than 50 games. Would have been useful for experience.
  • Hawks missing Roughead. So not a full strength Hawks.
  • We got very close to winning the past 2 games, but just haven't been able to make the right decisions when they mattered. I'd rather be within 2 goals than being thumped like in the last 11 games or so.
  • We're still in 5th, but top 4 looking unlikely. I wasn't sure we'd even make the 8 at the start of the season.
  • Still got some good players to come back into the side. We also had 2 debutants. Which is great when you compare to Hawthorn, who is an aging side. Sun sets, sun rises.
  • Cloke and White missed the obvious ones, but the whole team was off tonight with their goal kicking. Fasolo, Varcoe, Broomhead, Crisp etc all missed shots they would normally make.

The Darkman

Team Captain
Mar 24, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Bad luck last night fellas. You really matched them and Cloke now owns Lake. Do us a favour and knock over WCE next week.

Wonderful tribute at the end.

Back