Where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

The way the club has dealt with this sort of thing in the past was simply "noble is expanding his responsibilities" and I hope we don't do that this time.

Coaches currently working for other clubs, most likely won't cross over mid-year, and our search needs to look everywhere.

Phil Walsh was spending all his waking time working, reports are that he was working 15 hours a day. That's 15 hours of work a day that needs to be done by someone else now and if Noble tries to do them, the jobs that he would be normally doing won't get the attention they deserve. The people that would normally take up the slack, including Noble, need to have their #1 priority be finding our coach for 2016.

The club needs to find someone for the rest of the year who can do as much of those 15hours a day as possible, would probably need to be someone who is not currently contracted by another AFL club.

The only 3 candidates I can think of are:

* Mark Bickley
* John Worsfold
* Brenton Sanderson

Cmon mate seriously. Sanderson was sacked for a reason. Neither party would want him to be our coach again. Campo will likely take over. Worsfold is the only guy from the outside I can see taking over.

Personally I don't see the point of that happening as the season is now effectively a writeoff.

The focus for the club is going to be nursing the players psychologically through the rest of the year, I don't think the players will not going to be in any sort of head space to be imprinted on by a new coach.

This is exactly right. The seasons gone. It'll be about getting through rather than winning.

Personally I don't see the point of that happening as the season is now effectively a writeoff.

The focus for the club is going to be nursing the players psychologically through the rest of the year, I don't think the players will not going to be in any sort of head space to be imprinted on by a new coach.

Oh, no doubt, the season is a write off - but that's why I want Woosha.

He's a mate of Walsh, he already knows the players and what Walsh was about, and trying to do.

He can continue the job, but he's also an experienced, strong father figure, who can come in and shepherd them through the rest of the season - without letting the wheels fall off completely.

I think making one of the current coaching panel the caretaker coach is the worst option we have.

We need someone with gravitas, authority and respect. Woosha would be #1. Malthouse potentially #2. I'd even consider Bomber. But they come in with a clear understanding that this year is now about continuing the work Walsh started; not letting things fall apart onfield, but, as importantly, taking care of the lads.

And the suggestion of Sanderson is crazy - at a time like this, bring in a coach the players didn't respect, and largely hated? That would be a disaster. Bickley isn't up to it.

Cmon mate seriously. Sanderson was sacked for a reason. Neither party would want him to be our coach again. Campo will likely take over. Worsfold is the only guy from the outside I can see taking over.

He doesn't need to take over, he could be used in a supportive role. The way I see it is there is 15hours a day of jobs that need doing, the club just can't cover those jobs with existing staff because existing staff have to do their job, plus the massive task of finding a new coach. They need someone to come in, if Campo does Phil's jobs, then someone needs to do Campo's jobs.

Sando is still liked by a lot of the playing group and he knows them well, any petty differences or disputes he may have had with people, I'm sure have been put in context in the last 30 hours. It would be more him not wanting to return than the club not wanting to use him.

He doesn't need to take over, he could be used in a supportive role. The way I see it is there is 15hours a day of jobs that need doing, the club just can't cover those jobs with existing staff because existing staff have to do their job, plus the massive task of finding a new coach. They need someone to come in, if Campo does Phil's jobs, then someone needs to do Campo's jobs.

The players do not like him, and do not respect him.

It would be madness to let him near the Club again.

The players do not like him, and do not respect him.

It would be madness to let him near the Club again.

No they don't, Sando said he received texts and phone calls from most the playing group when he was sacked. Some of them thought he wasn't the right man for the job and they were right, doesn't mean he's not the right man for another job that we desperately need someone to do.

My preference would be Mark Bickley though.

Never has the term caretaker had more meaning than it does in this tragedy. We need to get the absolute best coach for that particular purpose.
I just feel its a very important decision for the future of our club and im backing the board to make the right decisions.
Really glad Roo is involved this year

No they don't, Sando said he received texts and phone calls from most the playing group when he was sacked. Some of them thought he wasn't the right man for the job and they were right, doesn't mean he's not the right man for another job that we desperately need someone to do.

My preference would be Mark Bickley though.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Sando said; and receiving polite texts from people doesn't change anything; especially when those people were instrumental in moving you on (because you sucked).

I don't want Bickley; we need an outsider in the short term. Bicks is a great bloke, but now isn't the time for amateurs or people learning on the job.

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Sando said; and receiving polite texts from people doesn't change anything; especially when those people were instrumental in moving you on (because you sucked).

I don't want Bickley; we need an outsider in the short term. Bicks is a great bloke, but now isn't the time for amateurs or people learning on the job.

Bicks is not an amateur, he coached in his own right when Craig left, but I'm not saying bring in these guys to be head coach, I'm saying bring one of them in to help out. Campo or Teague should be the Head Coach as they know the game plan better than any outsider, but someone needs to fill the role that Campo or Teague once did.

So we need a temporary assistant coach? Bickley is perfect for that role. He's also well liked and important enough in SA to fill a lot of the sponsor requirements that a coach has to do, lunch with this exec, talk at that conference, give interview to this TV station.

Even if Ryan O'Keefe steps into the assistant coach role vacated by whoever takes the head coach role, someone needs to take over the role ROK was doing with the development players.

In house caretaker please. The coaching group has been immersed in Coach Walsh's philosophy since he began until now. Our club can see this season through with the people Phil has put in place. We will endeavour to finish the season how it was shaping and how Phil was fashioning the team. The players and coaches have a lot of recorded meetings to draw on and I think internally we will use all these systems put in place to get the rest of this season done in honour of our fallen Coach. End of season regroup and decide on the next step re Head Coach. It won't be Coach Walsh 2.0. It can't be.

In house caretaker please. The coaching group has been immersed in Coach Walsh's philosophy since he began until now. Our club can see this season through with the people Phil has put in place. We will endeavour to finish the season how it was shaping and how Phil was fashioning the team. The players and coaches have a lot of recorded meetings to draw on and I think internally we will use all these systems put in place to get the rest of this season done in honour of our fallen Coach. End of season regroup and decide on the next step re Head Coach. It won't be Coach Walsh 2.0. It can't be.

I agree with all of this.

can't understand the sentiment that we need an outsider to come in and coach. Next year an beyond yeah but to now.

If there is an outsider involved it is as a senior coaching director, mentor, etc figure not coach

the current gameplay needs to continue and only the assistants know it intricately. People say Woosha will know the walsh gameplan, he won't. They spent time together so he will know his philosophies but an assistant can't truly implement their own gameplay until they have full control. Walsh would have been influenced by Worsfold and visa versa but the specifics of the gameplay Walhs was implementing for this group, where this group are at with it and understanding of the best role for each player can only be known from within.

Walsh always spoke of empowering his assistants. Him working on the overall gameplay but giving them a high level of control of their region. That cold have paved the way to help this situation as he would have hoped that right now they all have a clear understanding of how the gameplay works, the future direction of it and on match day they obviously all know how their zone works within it intricately. It sounds like Walsh treated his coaching panel like a team and he as the captain, well the captain is no longer there but if the team was working well beneath him then thats how the majority of our coaching will likely continue.

Of course a leader of that group needs to be appointed but as a coach it needs to be from the panel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

nailed it

No-one will want to do anything that changes even 1% of what Walshy has put in place, especially this year - and the players will be incredibly invested in what they are doing and what they have learned.

I can only see someone with massive amounts of experience stepping in before the end of the year - Woosha maybe too close - Thompson doesn't seem to respect AFC at all - I am sure some old-heads will put their hand up as an act of goodwill ...

Then we need to work out what is best for 2016 / 2017? A new coach to build on what we have already done ... could an inexperienced coach like Bassett handle this huge step up? Someone from inside that knows the players and is part of the group? I don't know.

He's a mate of Walsh, he already knows the players and what Walsh was about, and trying to do.

He can continue the job, but he's also an experienced, strong father figure, who can come in and shepherd them through the rest of the season - without letting the wheels fall off completely.

I think making one of the current coaching panel the caretaker coach is the worst option we have.

We need someone with gravitas, authority and respect. Woosha would be #1. Malthouse potentially #2. I'd even consider Bomber. But they come in with a clear understanding that this year is now about continuing the work Walsh started; not letting things fall apart onfield, but, as importantly, taking care of the lads.

And the suggestion of Sanderson is crazy - at a time like this, bring in a coach the players didn't respect, and largely hated? That would be a disaster. Bickley isn't up to it.
Agree 100% with this. Want Woosha badly and I think if we asked he'd do it if he could.

He doesn't need to come in and invent a gameplan, just continue what Walsh was doing. Steer the ship so to speak.

Our assistants will be as messed up as our players, they will also need help to get through this. It's unfair on them to try and lead us out of it. We need a senior respected outsider who isn't an outsider and that's Woosha.

The job is to work out how to get the group emotionally through to Round 23 and keep team culture together, as well as their physical and "footy" attributes in tact. Make sure they're all still training properly. Who that is I don't know and won't pretend to know internals.

Some will move on and others won't. Impossible to say.

Whilst this is going on, the search for our next head coach begins. Put simply - we find the best man for the job who lines up with our club values.

It's going to be a very difficult journey.

can't understand the sentiment that we need an outsider to come in and coach. Next year an beyond yeah but to now.

If there is an outsider involved it is as a senior coaching director, mentor, etc figure not coach

the current gameplay needs to continue and only the assistants know it intricately. People say Woosha will know the walsh gameplan, he won't. They spent time together so he will know his philosophies but an assistant can't truly implement their own gameplay until they have full control. Walsh would have been influenced by Worsfold and visa versa but the specifics of the gameplay Walhs was implementing for this group, where this group are at with it and understanding of the best role for each player can only be known from within.

Walsh always spoke of empowering his assistants. Him working on the overall gameplay but giving them a high level of control of their region. That cold have paved the way to help this situation as he would have hoped that right now they all have a clear understanding of how the gameplay works, the future direction of it and on match day they obviously all know how their zone works within it intricately. It sounds like Walsh treated his coaching panel like a team and he as the captain, well the captain is no longer there but if the team was working well beneath him then thats how the majority of our coaching will likely continue.

Of course a leader of that group needs to be appointed but as a coach it needs to be from the panel.
If it was someone like Woosha it wouldn't be your typical new coach appointment. I expect whilst he would have the title coach it would be more a leader, keeping the assistants together and helping them. He would be the front man, take the pressure off them and someone the players would respect. The game plan wouldn't be reinvented, that would be madness.

Look all the club can do is survive and get through this un believable time .
But moving forward must get someone from outside ASAP to come in and coach and without doubt that should be Worsfold even if only till end of season .
Please please Crows don't try to get a current assistant coach or even Noble do it as too much to ask and not helping players to move on as best as possible.
It is the elephant in the room and we shouldn't ignore it. We have to move forward as quickly as possibly with our grief in tow. Talked about this last night with mates and unanimously put Woosha on the must-get list, to survive the season. No expectations, just a steadying, experienced hand who, you know…knows his s**t.

I can't even begin to care about the rest of the season. My world changed again today and in such a negative manner.

I believed in Walshy, I loved his character, I admired his steely, forthright determination and his testicular fortitude. The guy was a mans man and the epitome of a leader, but with a visible soft side and warmth that made him so incredibly endearing. He had a plan and I trusted he'd achieve his desired outcomes. I think to bring in anyone else to finish his masterpiece would be disrespectful to the man.

I feel like I've experienced personal loss and I didn't even know the man. That summarises the depth of his character for mine.

Stick Teague in the role, honour the man, play with the freedom that you have nothing to lose and know that the great man who would have led our club to his next flag is living on through your style of play.

Personally couldn't care if we lose every game for the remainder of the year. To play out the season given the circumstances will be more heroic than any accolades victory could provide.

So good. Well said.

If it was someone like Woosha it wouldn't be your typical new coach appointment. I expect whilst he would have the title coach it would be more a leader, keeping the assistants together and helping them. He would be the front man, take the pressure off them and someone the players would respect. The game plan wouldn't be reinvented, that would be madness.
Bingo.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few blokes I'd be happy to come in and do that frontline job.
Woosha
Lee Mathews
Kevin sheedy
Bomber Thompson
Malthouse
Neil Craig
Malcolm Blight
Mark Williams

It's a tricky one. Appoint Camporeale/Teague and we try to carry on the existing plan as best we can. Then potentially start from scratch again in the preseason with a brand new coach. Basically waste half a season unless the caretaker turns out to be a gem.

Or approach someone like Worsfold immediately. No caretaker. Start the new regime asap.
We need to go very hard for Worsfold. Walsh was heading in the right direction, we are on the right path. Everyone has bought in.

Next man up.

Isn't Sando still on the payroll.
But no seriously. Worstfold, does he really know the guys. He would be great.
Whatever happens this is going to be a tough year. I can't see this as being anything but an unmitigated disaster over the next year or two. What a mongrel day 3/7/15 was. I'm not thinking clearly still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back