News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm at work now struggling, I just can't imagine how his wife Meredith and daughter are right now, it's just too traumatic to imagine. I just can't fathom it, poor family.

& the players..., they seemed to have forged an incredibly strong bond with him in a short amount of time, that just shows how special this bloke was I feel. Some won't be able to play this year, but that's okay, this is life and we're all human beings. I saw Reilly was beside himself when coming into the club after finding out the news, apparently Walsh was at his bedside day in day out when his head injury happened, must have forged a very strong bond with him through that.

Certainly not any easier the next day. What a mess.

The type of tragic circumstances will forever make this hard to move on quick. While the football world will move on as a whole eventually, I feel the AFC, PAFC and WCE will be feeling this for a long time. If Port players were shattered think about WCE players who knew him for all those years.

RIP Walshy

Sitting at the hairdressers this morning reading the last few pages and tears won't stop. I just realised that even though I dont know most of you, and we are sometimes at odds with each other, I feel your pain as deeply as if we were best mates. Sanders your messages resonate with me the most. A delicious irony.

The crows have had a few coaches now, and I only Phil from the interviews I saw. From watching those interviews I feel like footy and coaching meant more to him than most people. He genuinely believed in himself, his vision and the "team first" approach. That's what made it so easy to buy into his methods.
His potential as coach was never reached and unfortuanately we will never know what might have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woke up and for a split second had forgotten before a wave of sadness crushed me. yesterday I must have been so numb, just couldn't stop thinking why? Now I cant stop the tears. Such a tragedy :cry:

The crows have had a few coaches now, and I only Phil from the interviews I saw. From watching those interviews I feel like footy and coaching meant more to him than most people. He genuinely believed in himself, his vision and the "team first" approach. That's what made it so easy to buy into his methods.
His potential as coach was never reached and unfortuanately we will never know what might have been.

When we win the flag in coming years, it'll be from the foundation that PW laid

That will be his last legacy from a long career in the game. A true champ. No one stays in the game as an assistant for as long as he did if you aren't any good and can't adapt to new styles. In fact, i think he was behind a lot of the new game plans that evolved.....

A true champion and a true gentleman who will never be forgotten

When we win the flag in coming years, it'll be from the foundation that PW laid

That will be his last legacy from a long career in the game. A true champ. No one stays in the game as an assistant for as long as he did if you aren't any good and can't adapt to new styles. In fact, i think he was behind a lot of the new game plans that evolved.....

A true champion and a true gentleman who will never be forgotten

Hear, hear

I woke up yesterday, shortly after 7am, to a text message from a mate. The message said: "Phil Walsh has been murdered overnight."

This particular mate is not one for sick jokes. I immediately turned to Google and the media release from SA Police was 20 seconds old.

Say it isn't so.

To be honest, I can't remember much of the next 20 or 30 minutes. I rang the handful of fellow fanatical Crows supporters I knew. The ones who I knew would be sharing this grief. Most had not yet heard the news. I actually couldn't believe what I was telling them. The words didn't want to come out of my mouth. The phone was shaking in my hand.

I rang my old man, as I'm sure many others did. We had a moment. We had a man conversation, as Phil would say.

At some point I realized I had to pull myself together and get to work. One of the most unproductive days I've had in my working career ensued. How could you just carry on like nothing had happened? I shut the door to my office. Trite musings from fellow staff who have no connection to the club did not interest me. In fact, they irritated me.

It's not their fault. They just didn't understand.

I wrote this about Phil earlier this year:

"I've said many times that an AFC coach has an extra responsibility aside from coaching the team - he has to coach the supporters too. He has to be adept at managing the stifling expectations and the incessant media swarm that come from a virtual one-team town. His personality and his machiavellian touch has to be just as adept as his coaching ability.

It's too early to say if Walsh excels in all these areas, but he has one thing that many of his AFC predecessors have lacked: Authority.

He has, so far, been a rock, successfully sedating the frenzied excitement of a state-wide supporter base and a skittish mainstream media like an authoritative father figure.

Most supporters couldn't provide you with a logical explanation as to why they're calmer this season. And as long as Phil retains that aura of trusted authority, they won't want or need to."

Phil Walsh was our rock. His legacy and aura at the Adelaide Football Club will never be forgotten.

That s**t about tripping on mushrooms being an experience everyone should have, because it opened him up spiritually and some other bullshit?
We can thank the poor, "victimised", peace loving bikies for bringing ICE into our suburbs. Scumbags.

We can thank the poor, "victimised", peace loving bikies for bringing ICE into our suburbs. Scumbags.

Please dont think I am being nit picky or callous. However I do believe the pipe that was pictured being taken away in a bag by the police, is in fact as marijuana pipe as opposed to an ice pipe. I am not casting aspersions but rather bringing some detail. So so so sad! RIP PW

PS I am no sympathizer. Ice is the most revolting scourge.

Great Words from Woosha, I hope he feels it is in him to come to our club and with another mate Darren Glass (and of course David Teague) finish the work that Walshy started.

These three guys probably knew Walshy's vision for our club better than anyone. If they can bring it all together to win us a flag it would go down as a great sporting story. And the AFL needs a good story right now.

I'm at work now struggling, I just can't imagine how his wife Meredith and daughter are right now, it's just too traumatic to imagine. I just can't fathom it, poor family.

& the players..., they seemed to have forged an incredibly strong bond with him in a short amount of time, that just shows how special this bloke was I feel. Some won't be able to play this year, but that's okay, this is life and we're all human beings. I saw Reilly was beside himself when coming into the club after finding out the news, apparently Walsh was at his bedside day in day out when his head injury happened, must have forged a very strong bond with him through that.

I lost my dad when I was 12; it doesn't need explaining how devastating that is.

But his poor daughter - having to fly home, spend 20 hours on a plane, with very little support or contact from others; knowing her brother is the one who did it.

The situation is horrific enough already; but that's tragic; the poor girl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back