Traded Jake Carlisle [traded w/ #23 and #44 for #5, #24 and Craig Bird]

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?
So Carlton are willing to meet his price?
Unless things have changed in the last 24hrs I still maintain he isnt going anywhere. Had ironed out a few issues and was just trying to squeeze a little bit more coin out of the club. I think what we are offering is overs though and id be amazed if any other club would go near that.
Don't feed the trolls

You can .
You are clearly a well respected poster on the Footscray board .
Can i ask you how you see this playing out ?
TBH I don't know. There are too many people, and people's whose opinion I value, saying that he's going for it to be incorrect. I was someone who wanted him and was told by a family friend, who holds a very senior position at Essendon that Essendon understood we had the biggest financial offer in front of him. However I found out that was incorrect from a Dogs contact last weekend and we won't be going after him for a number of reasons, that I won't go into on a public forum. Suffice it to say, however, that he has a couple of issues (not drugs, gambling or anything illegal) he needs to sort out and it's whether a club overlooks these issues to go and get him. Carlton seem to be leading the charge, but I can't see why they would again throw money at a player instead of going through the draft, that doesn't make sense to me. So again, I really don't know and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

All clubs have the ability to renegotiate contracts with players at anytime to make cap space. They chose not to.

How does that justify the AFL telling both GWS and Brisbane that they did not have sufficient cap space to draft Tippett and would not allow them to view his PSD contract demands to allow them to potentially match it by renegotiating contracts then?

Tippett was never ever going anywhere but Sydney. The AFL wasn't going to re-open that shitstorm. Using him as an example of someone who got where they wanted in the PSD is rubbish since the AFL tied everyone else's hands behind their backs.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tippett-gets-his-sydney-wish-20121210-2b5q6.html

How does that justify the AFL telling both GWS and Brisbane that they did not have sufficient cap space to draft Tippett and would not allow them to view his PSD contract demands to allow them to potentially match it by renegotiating contracts then?

Tippett was never ever going anywhere but Sydney. The AFL wasn't going to re-open that shitstorm. Using him as an example of someone who got where they wanted in the PSD is rubbish since the AFL tied everyone else's hands behind their backs.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tippett-gets-his-sydney-wish-20121210-2b5q6.html

I also used Luke Ball as an example of a player who got to his club of choice through a draft but you obviously chose to ignore that because it did not suit your argument.

Port traded for Ryder , comfortable in the knowledge that the matter was in the hands of the "AFL" tribunal ... ;)
Now that WADA have taken the case to CAS , it's a WHOLE different story !!
Footscray don't want to gamble , let's see if any other Melbourne based clubs will ??
Of course , there's one Melbourne based club that won't have too ... :D
I would have zero problem in the Roos trading for him. The chance of 2 years is slim to none. As a CHB he is worth the risk.

I would have zero problem in the Roos trading for him. The chance of 2 years is slim to none. As a CHB he is worth the risk.

Would North though risk their first rounder ?
Would efc accept it ? eg : where will North finish ?
Most importantly , will Carlisle want to go to North ?
As is usually the case , the player gets to where he wants to go , once he nominates his destination , it gets interesting ...

I also used Luke Ball as an example of a player who got to his club of choice through a draft but you obviously chose to ignore that because it did not suit your argument.

Luke Ball is a valid observation. Colour me as surprised as anyone if Carlisle goes through the PSD. I'm just correcting your misconceptions about what happened with Tippett. I take it that since you're backtracking to Luke Ball you now understand the actual circumstances with Tippett that distorted the PSD in that case.

Would North though risk their first rounder ?
Would efc accept it ? eg : where will North finish ?
Most importantly , will Carlisle want to go to North ?
As is usually the case , the player gets to where he wants to go , once he nominates his destination , it gets interesting ...
I would risk it - could be 8-12. I think that is fair for ess.

I am sure he or Henderson would love to join the Roos.:)

Luke Ball is a valid observation. Colour me as surprised as anyone if Carlisle goes through the PSD. I'm just correcting your misconceptions about what happened with Tippett. I take it that since you're backtracking to Luke Ball you now understand the actual circumstances with Tippett that distorted the PSD in that case.

Didn't Collingwood players renegotiate there contracts to be able to fit Luke Ball into the club. Why didn't other clubs do that with Tippett. Maybe they didn't believe he was worth what he was asking for.

Didn't Collingwood players renegotiate there contracts to be able to fit Luke Ball into the club.

Did they? I don't recall it at the time. I do recall Luke Ball signing a contract extension for $100k or so as a third year on his original two year contract to help retain Pendlebury and Swan, but that was an extension - not changing existing salaries. I don't recall examples of players dropping their existing salary, though that's not saying it hasn't happened.

Why didn't other clubs do that with Tippett. Maybe they didn't believe he was worth what he was asking for.

The AFL would not tell the clubs how much Tippett was asking for, so even if players were able and willing to reduce their pay the clubs would have to guess, lodge the contracts, rinse and repeat until they reach how much would be required... and then still potentially miss out on Tippett. Way to screw a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Ball went to the draft with a high dollar, short term contract to scare off clubs like Port Adelaide who had shown interest. Pretty sure some of the pies star players changed there contracts to back loaded deals to fit him in.

Either way all the other clubs have come out in front regarding Tippett and he is not worth anywhere near what they are paying him. Would have been better off keeping Mumford.

I just hope he doesn't nominate a strong team.
Ive maintained he aint going nowhere but I actually think Collingwood are second in line not Carlton. Think it will end up being a straight shoot out for $$. This concerns me a fair bit because we will be forced to offer way overs to keep him, cant see Carlton or Collingwood offering him what he wants. Collingwood are good blokes so will probably offer up Jesse White as bait :D

Ive maintained he aint going nowhere but I actually think Collingwood are second in line not Carlton. Think it will end up being a straight shoot out for $$. This concerns me a fair bit because we will be forced to offer way overs to keep him, cant see Carlton or Collingwood offering him what he wants. Collingwood are good blokes so will probably offer up Jesse White as bait :D
Most supporters cling to loyalty. It's all you have until he signs or leaves. Similar posts about ryder this time last year.

Most supporters cling to loyalty. It's all you have until he signs or leaves. Similar posts about ryder this time last year.
I think the Ryder thing was differant, aswell as the ASADA situation he had other issues why he wanted to leave. Jake was very unhappy and had some issues that have since been resolved, now its just all a matter of getting the best $$ he can and who can blame him.
I think we will offer more than what others do but if he doesnt really want to be at the club he will take less and leave. Probably a lot more going on behind scenes but hope he stays.

I think the Ryder thing was differant, aswell as the ASADA situation he had other issues why he wanted to leave. Jake was very unhappy and had some issues that have since been resolved, now its just all a matter of getting the best $$ he can and who can blame him.
I think we will offer more than what others do but if he doesnt really want to be at the club he will take less and leave. Probably a lot more going on behind scenes but hope he stays.
i hope he goes, i dont want a Sook at the club, but then we got Goddard so i guess it goes hand in hand

edit: but goddard only did that the once, where as Jake doers it all the time

Are you going to say for this every player that leaves? Players will do anything to win the PR battle. They are all leaving Essendon because of ASADA/WADA and the James Hird Saga. Wouldn't you?

Are you going to say for this every player that leaves? Players will do anything to win the PR battle. They are all leaving Essendon because of ASADA/WADA and the James Hird Saga. Wouldn't you?
Every player is differant. With Ryder it definately was a combination of issues including WADA. Yes Jake is worried by the saga but he is very, very close to Hird.

I hope he stays.
i wouldnt hope to much cause he's Gone. plus IMO we need the pick to pickup a good Ruck if not a Mid , Defender , Utility , plus he'd be better at Hawthorn IMO as they got better chance at getting another Premierrship than us, i dont think Jake Long will be any good, if im right he could be a Rookie for 2 more years

Melbourne are right into him as well as Collingwood Carlton and Brisbane.
My mail is he is out the door unfortunately.
This is weak draft and Essendon will ask for a top 6 pick plus another valuable piece ala dayne beams deal.
Wada decision will tell if this eventuates.
My understanding is jake will want Essendon compensated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back