2nds 2015 NEAFL discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm trying!!! I'm melbourne based.. It's hard to find info on all the up and coming kids..
I've read about Fahey.. Just didn't know what he looked like.
Kinda expected him to be bigger?? Haha
That's OK - even us up here cant follow whats going on - some kids play NEFL , then QAFL , then State, then Academy team etc etc ... seems no club loyalty whatsoever. A case of a limited pool of players to fill too many teams in my opinion.

The NEAFL just doesn't work for me. It's a bloody shambles.

I rekon we should just keep it local and have division 1 & 2 SE Qld leagues. The top 32-36 teams from the GC & Brissy ranked & split into 2 leagues.

And maybe use a relegation system that allows the top 2 division 2 teams to be promoted and the bottom 2 division 1 sides relegated or similar.

I dunno the answer, but the whole thing needs re-working.

I ended up going to the match today. Good decision.

They played well which should have been the case given the number of listed players and the size of the listed players. Some big dudes running around for us.

Brisbane had a few listed players as well. Big Dan Merrett spent the first quarter warming up then played quarters 2-4. Gardiner played as well, so the Lions had a couple of decent tall defenders playing.

Comments:
  • Matt Shaw looked a touch underdone to me. I went to the 3qt huddle and heard them say that he was off and that this was the plan from the outset (only play 3 qtrs). Might not have bounced back from the bug he picked up before the bye so they were managing his load?
  • Brooksby has a great set of hands and took a bunch of contested marks. Looked like marking everything. A touch small and a touch slow but his contested marking and attack at the footy means he will be a good depth player and solid fill in.
  • Zac Smith playing well. Too well for NEAFL.
  • 2MP generally gets to the right spot but still has plenty of work to do. Needs to get off the mark quicker, make stronger leads, make multiple leads, and get a stronger set of hands. It would help if the mids could kick.
  • AHall is a solo star in the NEAFL but missed a few good leads when he had the ball. Nothing new to see here. Not sure he fits in with a team structure well.
  • Seb Tape looked good in the midfield congestion. Clean strong hands. But not sure this is a spot for him in the seniors anymore.
  • Jack Leslie was generally outplayed by Brent Staker.
  • Broughts was good.
  • Downie is very impressive around the ground. Playing everywhere. Never stops talking to his teammates (in a constructive way).
  • Rory was quiet, looked quiet, played quiet. Needed the run badly but can't see him playing him in the ones next week based on that.
  • Dan Gorringe. Where has it all gone wrong?
Got to be happy with the rookie picks we made this year: Saad, Glenn, Raines, Brooksby, Broughton. All making big contributions to the list. More of the same next year please.

PS. Heard Jack Martin and Josh Glenn say that they should be ready to go in the NEAFL next week. Swallow as well? We are playing at Blacktown next week unfortunately otherwise it would be worth the effort.

The NEAFL just doesn't work for me. It's a bloody shambles.

I rekon we should just keep it local and have division 1 & 2 SE Qld leagues. The top 32-36 teams from the GC & Brissy ranked & split into 2 leagues.

And maybe use a relegation system that allows the top 2 division 2 teams to be promoted and the bottom 2 division 1 sides relegated or similar.

I dunno the answer, but the whole thing needs re-working.

Yeah it lacks a bit of cred for me as well . On the weekend Brisbane had a guy called Wolbers playing for them , thing is he played for us the week before and the week before that he played for Southport , just bizarre.

What we're seeing in the NEAFL are Clubs like NT Thunder Southport and Redland etc in it to win it and teams like the Swans , GWS Brisbane and us in it for player development
It's not a good mix

When Brisbane did there 3peat there magoos where playing in the QAFL i think , cant say it did any harm .

What we're seeing in the NEAFL are Clubs like NT Thunder Southport and Redland etc in it to win it and teams like the Swans , GWS Brisbane and us in it for player development
It's not a good mix

Sorry to intrude Sandy, but I think you have missed one or two, Aspley Hornets - Last years premiers who sit second to the GWS on % and just above the Swans and Sydney Uni who have recruited to suit there structures - Who are the teams you mentioned above playing for development - I think not. Winners win and that's a fact. NT, Redland, Southport and some others just can't cut the mustard in the second tier Northern AFL Competition this year, once again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to intrude Sandy, but I think you have missed one or two, Aspley Hornets - Last years premiers who sit second to the GWS on % and just above the Swans and Sydney Uni who have recruited to suit there structures - Who are the teams you mentioned above playing for development - I think not. Winners win and that's a fact. NT, Redland, Southport and some others just can't cut the mustard in the second tier Northern AFL Competition this year, once again.

Do the non AFL teams in the NEAFL have any limitations on their player lists other than that they are registered with the club?

Good win and I encourage people to watch the game on NEAFL TV on YouTube. Defensive pressure was very good, with lots of tackling intent and sticking them. Made it hard for Sydney Uni to break through.

Josh Hall absolutely putrid. Not even worth playing if he's going to perform like that. Not even close to the standard. Get him out.

Broughton and Raines good experienced heads to help the kids.

Seb Tape very good physically. Really threw himself at the contest in a midfield role. Very impressive actually. Tried to play Fyfe-esque and bust through as many bodies as possible and succeeded most of the time. Good hands to release others as the big inside midfielder.

Zac Smith extremely disappointing. Had zero effect around the ground.

Leslie and Thompson both very good. Thompson was forced to switch forward when it became evident that Josh Hall was offering nothing as a forward presence, and Hall went down back. As a forward Rory was okay, using his bigger body to clunk some marks and work as a good foil for 2MP. Leslie was amazing down back. A rock. I would compare it to a Harry Taylor performance. Really clever zoning and taking a lot of marks in the defensive 50.

Shaw good early but died a bit in the 4th quarter. Glenn the same. Both will be better for the run and still building that fitness you would think after injury layoffs.

2MP best on ground for mine. An unbelievable performance as pretty much a lone hand as the tall forward. You could forgive him for struggling in those circumstances but he dominated and stood up in the clutch moments when we needed goals. At one point we were 2 goals down in the 3rd and he took the onus on himself to not only get involved up the ground, but take huge contested marks and slot them. Then at the end when Sydney Uni were peppering away and threatened to take the lead, it was 2MP who stood up and got us clear with his work around the ground, marks inside 50 and ability to convert. Some of these weren't easy goals either. He sunk one from 55 out, and another from 60. Finished with 6.1. But it's just his ability to stand up when it matters. That's what is key.

Lemmens, Cameron, Herbert okay as supporting roles. They aren't the types to lift the team and will be good when the team is good, and be bad when the side is bad.

Thanks Sunny, good to hear we have performed well again in the success. Getting wins, whether it is in the first or the seconds is good to raise moral and starting to build a winning culture around the place.

2MP has me excited for sure.

Seb Tape was good last week as well. He has a lot more attack in his game then he has showed lately in the seniors.

Who was the bloke running around in number 24? Saw him numerous times and wondered why he was wearing Swallow's number, yet he isn't listed on the NEAFL site.

wat do

Remove this Banner Ad

Back