2015 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Chol is blessed with height, massive leap, soft hands, agility and a very good left foot. Hopefully he plays some solid NEAFL games and continues to develop. For me he would not be a risk taking him inside the top 30. Get the development right and you have massive upside. TBD, I don't think the giraffe ruckman is a good analogy. He is lean but with a few years in the gym he would build up sufficiently. A player with his athletic ability would worry most teams.

I don't really rate Wagner, is a good accumulator but I wouldn't say he has an AFL attributes, there would be 30 blokes playing the in the TAC cup who would be able to fit into the QLD team and play that role.

Buzza is interesting, he has enormous strength and presents up hard at the football. Would be a worthy late pick up or rookie list because you know physically he would be able to compete at the afl level, whether he would be good enough is another question.

From the little bit of footage I saw it is pretty obvious we will move heaven and earth to get Keays, he is ready to go at AFL level after a pre season, he has an AFL game style already. We will also get Hipwood- enormous upside.

I would also grab Rueben William absolute pace to burn and reads the play well. I am one not to over inflate QLD draft talent but I would be happy to walk out of this draft with

Keays
Hipwood
William
Chol

I think they are highly talented kids who potentially fill the type of players we need. Obviously we are getting The Shaq attach

I don't think his performance really comes into it. It's all about the potential with project ruckmen.

The issue might be that he was expected to be a more physically developed type, but that doesn't seem to have translated performance wise.

I don't see the potential either.

Chol is blessed with height, massive leap, soft hands, agility and a very good left foot. Hopefully he plays some solid NEAFL games and continues to develop. For me he would not be a risk taking him inside the top 30. Get the development right and you have massive upside. TBD, I don't think the giraffe ruckman is a good analogy. He is lean but with a few years in the gym he would build up sufficiently. A player with his athletic ability would worry most teams.

I don't really rate Wagner, is a good accumulator but I wouldn't say he has an AFL attributes, there would be 30 blokes playing the in the TAC cup who would be able to fit into the QLD team and play that role.

Buzza is interesting, he has enormous strength and presents up hard at the football. Would be a worthy late pick up or rookie list because you know physically he would be able to compete at the afl level, whether he would be good enough is another question.

From the little bit of footage I saw it is pretty obvious we will move heaven and earth to get Keays, he is ready to go at AFL level after a pre season, he has an AFL game style already. We will also get Hipwood- enormous upside.

I would also grab Rueben William absolute pace to burn and reads the play well. I am one not to over inflate QLD draft talent but I would be happy to walk out of this draft with

Keays
Hipwood
William
Chol

I think they are highly talented kids who potentially fill the type of players we need. Obviously we are getting The Shaq attach

I really like Wagners kicking and 5-10 metres of acceleration. I'd like to settle him as a small back and if he can do the defensive stuff well he could be a very handy Backman

I really like Wagners kicking and 5-10 metres of acceleration. I'd like to settle him as a small back and if he can do the defensive stuff well he could be a very handy Backman
Yeah, I think the knock on Wagner is he often doesn't get enough of the footy. Wouldn't describe him as an accumulator. When he kicks the footy, it tends to open up defensive structures.

Not sure on his physicality though.

The true positive in all of this is that there are so many names at least up for discussion that our Academy must be doing something right!

To have 2 players (Keays and Hipwood) rated in the top 20 by someone as considered and rational in his ratings as Cal Twomey is a massive tick. Then to have William, Chol, Wagner, Dennis and Buzza all at least a discussion point as later/rookie picks is outstanding.

Given Jacob Allison was named today as an underage AA it would suggest next year might be promising too

Yeah, I think the knock on Wagner is he often doesn't get enough of the footy. Wouldn't describe him as an accumulator. When he kicks the footy, it tends to open up defensive structures.

Not sure on his physicality though.

I would call him an accumulator of the ball. I would say he is a good user of the football. Can't say there were any attributes that made me go that boy is an afl player in the making. I hope I am wrong.

Can still see us at least Rookie listing Wagner and give him 2 years in the NEAFL to work on his defensive stuff and also build up his body. Cant see him becoming a good balanced midfielder at afl level, but could possibly be a good depth player in a few years filling a wing or half back role maybe ?

He is probably going okay, considering he is a rookie. But the club would have been expecting more from him. He's struggled at Reserves level, probably would be first in line to cut off the rookie list I'd imagine.

I only saw him once against Eastlake, but he was pretty impressive. Although he doesn't have a lot of weapons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is the highest draft pick that the lions will have since I've been following them. IIRC, Polec was pick 5, Leuey pick 4 and Brennan pick 3, hopefully we do much better this time.

Highest pick since '98 when we had pick 1 - Headland

Headland, Brennan, Leuey, Polec...

Maybe we should trade out of pick 2 given our track record there. :eek:

I would call him an accumulator of the ball. I would say he is a good user of the football. Can't say there were any attributes that made me go that boy is an afl player in the making. I hope I am wrong.
If he can get the footy and use it well, then that's a pretty good start!

Wasn't Headland playing some good footy at the Lions before he was "Freo'd" ?

Only getting a few years out of him isn't a win to my mind (yes, I'm aware that the trade sending him home got us plenty and still is).

Watching Keays v nsw he reminded me at times of pendleberry. The way he got in this left and moved. He really was a class above anyone in the field IMO. Looking forward to getting him and happy to pay what is required.

Watching Keays v nsw he reminded me at times of pendleberry. The way he got in this left and moved. He really was a class above anyone in the field IMO. Looking forward to getting him and happy to pay what is required.
Hard to know if any of them are really pure quality as they have been playing Div 2 sides.
Would be good to see the Qld side play one of the Div 1 sides.

Have a feeling Keays would produce similar form in a div 1 set up

Heard all the hype and until seeing him a couple of times wasn't sure however think he definitely can play. Alot of grunt work in close and can finish, let's say J.Selwood type.

Heard all the hype and until seeing him a couple of times wasn't sure however think he definitely can play. Alot of grunt work in close and can finish, let's say J.Selwood type.
Without the ducking I hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back