Autopsy Hawks vs Pies and the tribute to Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't understand some clowns and their negativity.. I thought that was the best we have played all season, almost smelt like a 2014 game. Take nothing away from Collingwood.. they played like this one was a final. Cyril was amazing, Shiels was BOG for me and the Schoey and Suckling goals show why some people who whine a lot on the internet don't actually know as much as the coaches lol.

Need to build off this one now and win any more close ones.. Wish we had big rough to slot into the middle against the purple scum next week!

I think many are just being realistic. We aren't playing anywhere near our 2013-14 form, our midfield is getting dominated for large chunks of matches, we are conceding the easiest of goals, our backline is just as bad...... it no longer holds up the forte when we lose control of the midfield battle.

We lost
- disposals
- kicks
- free kicks
- clearences
- centre clearences
- stoppage clearences
- contested ball
- tackles
- scoring shots

It smelt nothing nothing like a 2014 game.

The only saving grace is that we actually won the match,...if we play like that come finals, a more polished side will have our measure.

Last edited:
In the cold light of day, I'm quite happy with that performance. Exactly the kind of hard, ground out result that Premiership teams achieve. Earlier in the season we would (and did) lose games like that - good to see we're back.

Looking back on it, I think the 14 GF has given us rose tinted glasses about last season. It was pretty much the perfect game, but we didn't play like that all season or even for the majority of the season - there were some hard slog at various points and we built in the last 6 weeks to that beautiful bloody day. I sat down the other day and tried to work out who I thought was having a good season so far - my list was Cyril, Shiels, Lake, Hill, Mitch.

There's a lot of other guys who have had a good patch but haven't been consistent - and that's what's pleasing really. We're top 4 with the biggest upside of any team in the comp. If we beat Freo (tough but doable really) then we're Premiership favourites by a street.
We didn't really "click" until the 2nd half round 22 last year. The mission accomplished game.

I think some people should accept that we had an off game instead of proclaiming season over

Hawthorn have had more than one off game this season and that should be a little concerning for some. I would still back them to make the GF and potentially win it if they were to finish 5th-6th.

It's the middle of the year sides are not expected to be playing at their peak, I can't believe the negativity amongst some of our supporters we won the game without playing our best, GOOD sides do that they just grind out a win in whatever circumstances, just wait till the finals start that's when Clarko's soldiers will produce as we all know.

Negativity or nativity....take your pick. It's starting to get towards the business end, and it appears even more critical to finish top 2 this year, or face trips to Perth or Sydney for a potential prelim.
The next 2 weeks are critical.....we did what we had to do last night and nothing more. Dish up what we did last night and we will struggle....

On a positive note, it was good to see Lewis play one of his better games for the year.....long May that continue

Couldn't make the game last night so watched it on tv.
It sounded like Collingwood supporters were booing Mitchell for some reason.
Did something happen that I missed?

Can't imagine Collingwood supporters reacting negatively to Mitchells jab sledge.

They were booing him because his back got in the way of Elliott's elbow.
Naughty Sammy. Naughty.

Hawthorn have had more than one off game this season and that should be a little concerning for some. I would still back them to make the GF and potentially win it if they were to finish 5th-6th.
Although my theory was debunked last night that we just need to get a few more things to work to click (last night we were soundly beaten, albeit not on the scoreboard). I feel Clarko knows this is barely even July and that our best, hardest football is not required. Personally, I think we will win every game for the rest of the year. Including the GF

Good tough grinding win by the boys last night. Yes our midfield was dominated in patches , but we also dominated there's as well. No rough made it closer than what it would have been IMO. Good sides win (good, bad, or ugly). Yes it looks ugly sometimes when our players are scrapping for clean possession, but if we couldn't take it cleanly we seemed to be able to knock it on to advantage most of the time, I believe there was a lot of banter in the GDT about incorrect disposal / dropping the ball regarding this, but hey if the umpires aren't gonna ping ya why not make it count.

Although my theory was debunked last night that we just need to get a few more things to work to click (last night we were soundly beaten, albeit not on the scoreboard). I feel Clarko knows this is barely even July and that our best, hardest football is not required. Personally, I think we will win every game for the rest of the year. Including the GF

Don't get me wrong I would LOVEEEEEEE this to be the case if Hawthorn have played possum to conserve themselves for the run home :D. I just think there are many variables, every team playing at their best against Hawthorn and Hawthorn's "best" (whether some expect them to do a 2014 GF performance every single time from now on) has not always been on show during the year so far.

Once again injuries to key players are playing a role in Hawthorn's story this year.

Anybody else see this incident in the last quarter. We had a free on the 50 metre. I think Sidebottom had the ball about 20 netres away, and instead of returning it, he instantly just dropped it. Should have put our player in the goal square.

yep

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some people should accept that we had an off game instead of proclaiming season over
Exactly. It would be more concerning if we did everything right and this was the result.
There's plenty of scope to improve, just need to keep winning in the process.

I don't particularly think we had an off game, but I do think that even if Collingwood had of kicked a bit straighter in the 3rd we'd have found something extra to get the job done.

It's what we do.

Even when they took the lead in the last, you just knew that we were not done with because, quite frankly, we are a champion team, full of experienced heads.

I mean, just look at some of the names who we can call on to give us a lift....Burgoyne, Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Rioli....

This is a special team, grinding out wins at the moment.

Anybody else see this incident in the last quarter. We had a free on the 50 metre. I think Sidebottom had the ball about 20 netres away, and instead of returning it, he instantly just dropped it. Should have put our player in the goal square.
Yes I saw this I couldn't believe it was missed and not picked up! He just put the ball down instead of giving it back! Automatic 50 and wasn't even mentioned

There were times later in the game when we'd bomb into our f50, I knew that the ball coming to ground was always going to be the worst case scenario and it was mostly thanks to the way Schoey had been crashing those packs all night. Credit where it's due I thought he played his role in a tough game very well.

Even though he was wearing the wrong colours I really enjoyed watching Pendles give his best Keanu Reeves impersonation when the heat was on as well

Is Hodge carrying a niggle at the moment, looked like he had a pebble in his boots watching the replay this morning?

I wonder if the side is restricting itself in any way from going hard for 4 quarters so not as to have a repeat of 2012 (too hard during this part of the year and then being spent in September)?

Obviously they want to still play 4 quarters (ie. Not switching off completely and letting successive goals be scored) but in terms of running hard and being physical with their opponents this kind of stuff seems to be coming in spurts.

You see the players just jogging around with half the intensity of a suburban over 50's team for 5-10 minutes and then next thing you know it's like a switch has been flicked and we see a period of 30 seconds to 2 minutes where you think you're watching the 2014 GF.

That GF shows that you can play like that for pretty much an entire game but 2012 shows you can't play like that for a sustained period.

We are beginning to see these bursts of play more frequently the last few weeks but I'd like to see us restricting the opponents score a lot more when we aren't.

Hey guys (and gals). I am the poster who started the "arrogant hawks" thread on the Collingwood board. I normally stick to my own mob but tonight is different. Whilst disappointed the Pies could not get over the line, I just wanted to congratulate your magnificent club on yet another victory and the tremendous scenes that followed. Our clubs should be proud with tonight and I for one am happy to call you our respected foes and friends. I am sorry for calling you arrogant and I take it back. Good luck for the rest of the season.
Good on you. It is not something you have to do and yet you did. Thanks for your input it is a lesson for all of us and puts it all in perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back