LCHF- Low Carb / High-Healthy Fat lifestyle.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmmmm... low fat cocoa, lol.

a8jYdAZ_700b.jpg
And people feed this toxic muck to there kids
Hmmmm... low fat cocoa, lol.

PuntRoad Celt

Team Captain
Jan 12, 2014
Gate 8, The Jungle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtic
You need to be more precise, fresh or packaged food, most stores/restaurants have low carb options if your creative.
Or do you mean an Low Carb business like Paleo Cafe or the Primal Pantry which I'm not sure Melbourne CBD offers these options.

No worries at all mate

Sorry about the brevity of the 1st post, was trying to avoid putting out a questionnaire style post

Basically just trying to get a feel for where is best to buy your meats/cheeses/fats (butter, lard/tallow, MCT oil...) etc from, i.e. will Woolies and Coles suffice or is it more butcher or farm shops, markets for fresher healthier, unprocessed stuff, as over here in Scotland the main supermarkets still push the old lean meats are best pish.

Im not Paleo or Primal in that respect, just LCHF at its basic form, shifted 4 stone (25 kilos) since Jan and Im almost 50 and havent really exercised much, some walking and some golf. But Im feeling the best Ive felt in a long long time.

Been LCHF since Jan and shifted a good bit of weight, Im gonna be in Melbourne from Aug til Oct this year and was wondering where is the best place to shop, for LCHF items?
Not trying to be a smart arse - but seriously, Queen Vic Market.
You can talk to the sellers if you want to know where their produce comes from.

ablett

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Fremantle
No worries at all mate

Sorry about the brevity of the 1st post, was trying to avoid putting out a questionnaire style post

Basically just trying to get a feel for where is best to buy your meats/cheeses/fats (butter, lard/tallow, MCT oil...) etc from, i.e. will Woolies and Coles suffice or is it more butcher or farm shops, markets for fresher healthier, unprocessed stuff, as over here in Scotland the main supermarkets still push the old lean meats are best pish.

Im not Paleo or Primal in that respect, just LCHF at its basic form, shifted 4 stone (25 kilos) since Jan and Im almost 50 and havent really exercised much, some walking and some golf. But Im feeling the best Ive felt in a long long time.

What Mofra said.

Mct oil should be in most health food stores under the Melrose brand, there's a heap of health food/supplement stores in the Melbourne cbd

metcard99

Debutant
Sep 7, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was wondering for the people who eat pretty strict LCHF what are the vegetables that you mostly eat? I know carrots, potatoes, onions are probably out,but it's a bit inconsistent across the internet and even products labels in terms of how many carbs a veg has and how many of those are fiber.

Also any downside to eating around 70 grams of nuts a day?

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Was wondering for the people who eat pretty strict LCHF what are the vegetables that you mostly eat? I know carrots, potatoes, onions are probably out,but it's a bit inconsistent across the internet and even products labels in terms of how many carbs a veg has and how many of those are fiber.

Also any downside to eating around 70 grams of nuts a day?
Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, silverbeet, spinach, mushrooms. Anything green is good and as long as it grows above the ground you should be safe.

Re: the nuts, lots of calories for not much satiety (full feeling). Nuts are good as a snack though so if they fit your calorie goals don't stress about them. Beware that cashews and peanuts have higher levels of carbs compared with macadamias and brazil nuts.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Beware that cashews and peanuts have higher levels of carbs compared with macadamias and brazil nuts.

My downfall. Activated cashews (I hate that term) are like nothing on earth. Just sensational, and chalk and cheese from the shop bought rubbish.

One day I will buy a 100g from the supermarket and weigh a 100g of mine, then count them. I would bet anything i would have minimum 20% more as supermarket ones are full of moisture.

Last edited:
Hi everyone - first time poster. This thread caught my attention a few weeks ago and after doing some research, I started LCHF on the 1st of this month. About a year ago I started eating "clean" (but this included oats, brown rice, lean meat...) and my fat intake was pretty low, but I only ever loosely tracked my macros and calories. I started at around 80kg and I've been at 65kg for a while (about 12% BF and abs are clearly visible). I do weight training 4-6 days a week and my strength has increased significantly over this time. Now I'm looking to put on size but I don't want to regain any/much fat, which is why the LCHF lifestyle has attracted my attention. I've seen people say it's possible to gain lean muscle on LCHF and others say it's impossible, so I'm a bit lost.

Since Wednesday my carbs haven't gone over 50g and my fat has been around 170g with protein staying the same at about 150g. I've dropped to 62kg in this time, which I'm guessing is just water weight from eating a cup of oats every morning prior.

For breakfast I've been eating 2-3 eggs, a bit of meat (this morning was two pork rashers), a long black with coconut milk or coconut oil and butter, and spinach. For lunch I'll have 200-300g of grass fed meat cooked in butter or coconut oil with 100g of brocolli and maybe another egg. Dinner has been more meat, 100g of broccoli and another 1-2 eggs with a salad soaked in olive oil on the side. I've also been having a square or three of Lindt 85% for dessert some nights. I've been doing a bit of research and I've read that calories don't really matter on LCHF, only macros do. Is this true or should I be tracking and eating over maintenance? There's just a lot of information to take in so I'm sort of stuck.

On Friday a did a back workout at 12 after having breakfast at 7 and I was just feeling sluggish and struggled towards the end of each exercise. Is this due to my body adapting to eating less carbs or should I be doing something different?

There's some very insightful information in this thread and it's definitely changed my thinking towards what I eat, but I haven't had the chance to read every post. I'm just a bit clueless so any help/tips would be much appreciated.

Edit: Oh, I'm 20 y.o. by the way.

Big Cox 88

Cancelled
Low Carb High Fat - Acolyte
Apr 1, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
AC Milan, Chelsea
Hi everyone - first time poster. This thread caught my attention a few weeks ago and after doing some research, I started LCHF on the 1st of this month. About a year ago I started eating "clean" (but this included oats, brown rice, lean meat...) and my fat intake was pretty low, but I only ever loosely tracked my macros and calories. I started at around 80kg and I've been at 65kg for a while (about 12% BF and abs are clearly visible). I do weight training 4-6 days a week and my strength has increased significantly over this time. Now I'm looking to put on size but I don't want to regain any/much fat, which is why the LCHF lifestyle has attracted my attention. I've seen people say it's possible to gain lean muscle on LCHF and others say it's impossible, so I'm a bit lost.

Since Wednesday my carbs haven't gone over 50g and my fat has been around 170g with protein staying the same at about 150g. I've dropped to 62kg in this time, which I'm guessing is just water weight from eating a cup of oats every morning prior.

For breakfast I've been eating 2-3 eggs, a bit of meat (this morning was two pork rashers), a long black with coconut milk or coconut oil and butter, and spinach. For lunch I'll have 200-300g of grass fed meat cooked in butter or coconut oil with 100g of brocolli and maybe another egg. Dinner has been more meat, 100g of broccoli and another 1-2 eggs with a salad soaked in olive oil on the side. I've also been having a square or three of Lindt 85% for dessert some nights. I've been doing a bit of research and I've read that calories don't really matter on LCHF, only macros do. Is this true or should I be tracking and eating over maintenance? There's just a lot of information to take in so I'm sort of stuck.

On Friday a did a back workout at 12 after having breakfast at 7 and I was just feeling sluggish and struggled towards the end of each exercise. Is this due to my body adapting to eating less carbs or should I be doing something different?

There's some very insightful information in this thread and it's definitely changed my thinking towards what I eat, but I haven't had the chance to read every post. I'm just a bit clueless so any help/tips would be much appreciated.
Go to the website below if you lift and want to gain. They have calculators, carb cycling programs and info on how to keto adapt faster (use fat more efficiently as fuel).
http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/new/

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Edit: Oh, I'm 20 y.o. by the way.

Calories do matter no matter what "diet" you are on, and whether your goal is to increase lean muscle and lose body fat. But what makes life easier is to track macros as opposed to tracking calories. The reason being food labels, very rarely do their calories equal the same amount as the macros listed. So if you set your macro goals and hit them you inadvertently hit your calorie goals to, with out the complete mindf*@k of trying to calculate the missing calories.

TheDyerLegacy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United ; Melbourne City
Just curious.. I know most you don't count calorie intake.. but if you were to provide a rough estimate.. what are your calories roughly?

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Just curious.. I know most you don't count calorie intake.. but if you were to provide a rough estimate.. what are your calories roughly?
I go as low as 1800 on some rest days and as high as 2800 if I'm refeeding, I do actually count calories on mfp but more out of curiosity than to adhere to some super strict diet.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I go as low as 1800 on some rest days and as high as 2800 if I'm refeeding, I do actually count calories on mfp but more out of curiosity than to adhere to some super strict diet.

I firmly believe people should give counting calories and measuring food a go for 3-4 weeks (more so if they are trying to lose weight or mindful of what they are eating). You will be surprised at how good you become at eyeing off portion sizes and getting within 10% of what you think is right. Sounds like you have a good idea of how much you are eating.

TheDyerLegacy

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United ; Melbourne City
Thanks for that.. I was catching up with a mate from uni.. and we were chatting about training and diet ect.. he has jumped onto the vegan high carb low fat aka durianrider style.. and he was trying to convince me how he was eating 3000+ cals a day ect.. which I replied "yeah but you energy output matches your energy intake.. pretty simple" the dude cycles for hours a day.. walks everywhere.. he can afford to smash in calories like that if he is making use of them.. to your average joe or jane that works 9-5 will have a maximum an hour of activity a day that lifestyle is not feasible... but for him it fits his lifestyle.. part time at uni.. working minimal hours..

Ess_don

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2009
Sudden Valley
AFL Club
Essendon
So I've recently discovered how good it is to make cheese "crisps" by just heating up grated cheese on a pan and letting it get crispy and solid, then breaking it up and tossing through my salads. Tastes awesome and gives great crunch (who needs croutons!)

Now this process leaves quite a bit of oil/fat from the cheese, being a LCHF, naturally Im not worried about fat so I usually use it to fry up eggs or even drizzle it over my salad.

Question is, is that cheese fat considered good fats and all ok to keep consuming or not really and Im better off chucking it out and frying up my eggs in GF butter? Ofc I use full-fat cheese..

Cheers!

PuntRoad Celt

Team Captain
Jan 12, 2014
Gate 8, The Jungle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtic
Link between the popular cholesterol lowering drug Statins and diabetes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150507145328.htm

ouch!

In Jan this year I was told I was borderline Stage 2 Diabetese (told Im Gucose intolerant), high blood pressure and high colesterol.
Been LCHF since then and been taking statins also, just got results from my GP and right now my BP, Blood Sugar and Cholesterol are all normal.

Not debunking the above research, as I'm at the early stages in my fight and defo havent taken a scientific approach to my lifesyle changes, just giving another side to th story.

Happy to update as I go along, but will consider the statins effect should my blood sugars go awol again

Back