News Phil Walsh RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Very tough seeing it all reported on again, Channel 7 (I assume 9 as well) showed something written by Phil's daughter which was also difficult to watch.

9 didn't show that but that woulde have been hard to see.

9 didn't show that but that woulde have been hard to see.

It looked like a Facebook post, was pretty long but what they showed was along the lines of how devastated she was to lose half of her family and that Phil was her one and only hero.

I guess in a way its almost comforting to know he had what seems like a good, normal, loving relationship with his daughter after some of the speculation on the reasons. I know from experience that one child from loving and caring families can take a different path no matter the love and support from the parents. I don't know its probably all stuff we shouldn't speculate on.

We're naturally going to talk more and more about the club as time goes on but it will tougher for the family long after things start looking up for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my dad's relationship with Walshy with you guys,
to reiterate the kind of man he was.

In 1980, Walshy (20 years old) and my dad (18 years old) were lining up alongside each other for Redan in the Ballarat Football.

Dad later won an award in which he credited Phil for teaching him so much in his short time at the club. At the end of that year, Walshy took off to the VFL and dad didn't see him until earlier this year when he ran into him while working at an Adelaide game.

He was tapped on the shoulder, and turned around to a man who said 'Once a Redanie, always a Redanie'. After 35 years, he could have easily chosen to walk past my old man and not say anything. Instead, he stopped, told him that they would catch up before heading into the players rooms.

35 years on, and he still had time for an old football mate. Loyal, dedicated, passionate and humble a man that clearly touched the lives of many.

R.I.P Phil Walsh.

Have coped well until something that just tugged at my heartstrings. Most nights my step son and I read a story before bed tonight he picked this one Screenshot_2015-07-04-18-36-09_resized.png
Reading through turned the page and then got to this page and with a lump in my throat managed to finish his story. :cry::(
Something so innocent as kids book really rammed it home for me
Screenshot_2015-07-04-18-36-24_resized.png

I just listened to the end of a WAFL game on the radio. It was East Perth which is the Eagles affiliate side and Swan Districts. Swans won for the first time in 8 meetings against them, can't help wondering if some of the Eagles players would have been a bit affected.

They interviewed Matt Rosa and someone from Swans after the game, they both mentioned Phil and how respected he is.

Also, they didn't sing the song in the rooms after the game, they are following the AFL example with this out of respect.

Have coped well until something that just tugged at my heartstrings. Most nights my step son and I read a story before bed tonight he picked this oneView attachment 149246
Reading through turned the page and then got to this page and with a lump in my throat managed to finish his story. :cry::(
Something so innocent as kids book really rammed it home for me
View attachment 149247

Keep that book always. He will forever be an AFC coach ... and with a winning record.

Hey guys,

I thought I'd share my dad's relationship with Walshy with you guys,
to reiterate the kind of man he was.

In 1980, Walshy (20 years old) and my dad (18 years old) were lining up alongside each other for Redan in the Ballarat Football.

Dad later won an award in which he credited Phil for teaching him so much in his short time at the club. At the end of that year, Walshy took off to the VFL and dad didn't see him until earlier this year when he ran into him while working at an Adelaide game.

He was tapped on the shoulder, and turned around to a man who said 'Once a Redanie, always a Redanie'. After 35 years, he could have easily chosen to walk past my old man and not say anything. Instead, he stopped, told him that they would catch up before heading into the players rooms.

35 years on, and he still had time for an old football mate. Loyal, dedicated, passionate and humble a man that clearly touched the lives of many.

R.I.P Phil Walsh.

Thanks for sharing mate - much appreciated; and a great story.

It is part of what makes it so heartbreaking - we haven't just lost a gun coach; we've lost a gun human being.

Hi, sorry to intrude but I just want to pay my respect to Walsh.

CJDfTSxUAAATrtd.jpg

#weflyasone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was fine, more so in shock than upset until I went to west lakes and read some of the signs little kids had made, or the photos of little kids with The Great Man. One of the ones that really got to me was a picture drawn by a 4-5 year old of Phil with the simple words 'Sorry Phil Walsh' in a child's handwriting :(

Sorry to intrude guys, you must all be hurting bad.

I'm hurting and I didn't even know that much about the guy.

Hope everyone's coping ok and that you're all looking after each other.
Don't have to apologise for posting here, everyone from everywhere is welcome :).

The way Phils tragic and horrific death has been felt so strongly by everyone in not only the AFL community but in the wider Australian community is telling.
We just didnt lose a head coach, football lost a great football person. Everyone was watching him, were intriged by him, listened to him and liked the way he went about his job. He had served the ultimate apprenticeship. He was regarded by all those who worked with him as a genius, a tactically brilliant man who knew more about the game than 99% of other people. He went from been anti-media to the media darling and a star performer. Everything he put his mind to he did well.
On top of all the potential not realized, on top of all he had already achieved in the game, was the terrible way he died.
Its tragic on so many levels. Thats what makes this just so hard to understand, or even accept. I dont accept it yet. Not from a selfish point of view of losing a good coach, I cant accept that his life was taken in the most depressing way for him.
This is going to take alot of time to come to terms with, and I never knew the man.
Thinking of his family, torn apart like it has been, just makes me feel sick in the guts.
RIP Phil Walsh.

the tributes after the game have been awesome it brought shivers to the spine and tears to the eyes , still in shock that this has happened to you guys i just can not wrap my head around it my thoughts are with your club its members and fans and his friends and family at this time condolences to all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back