HFNL 2015 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to see the Portland Tigers get their first win of the season. Well deserved, could have won more games but not to be. Lets hope they bring up their second win against Cobden at home this week.
It is great that the Portland Tigers got their first win. I didn't get to go, I see young Shepherd got 3 goals in his first senior game, I don't know anything about him, how old is he? He must've played ok? I was impressed with them last week. When you consider they have Crane out injured and have lost Dignan, Mather and Bentley they have done real well. Can't wait for this weekend versus Cobden, should be a great game with heaps of young talent.

It is great that the Portland Tigers got their first win. I didn't get to go, I see young Shepherd got 3 goals in his first senior game, I don't know anything about him, how old is he? He must've played ok? I was impressed with them last week. When you consider they have Crane out injured and have lost Dignan, Mather and Bentley they have done real well. Can't wait for this weekend versus Cobden, should be a great game with heaps of young talent.
Didnt get their either Go Tiges. Shepherd still plays under 17's I believe. Season for the Tigers could be so much better had they won some of those early games. Add Mather, Bentley, Van Heughten and Craney and the youngsters would have those much needed players around them.

Well its getting intriguing up the top end if the ladder. There are certainly some questions hanging over each of the teams, but all the answers will come in the next few weeks! North vs Wbool this weekend will answer one of the big questions. Is North Warrnambool a real contender or just flat track bullies? Warrnambool will certainly sort that out. Who will North send to Cowling and Graham? Can the midfield be accountable enough on a gun packed wbool engine room? Can Warrnambool stop North Warrnambools scoring power? For me, I think North Warrnambools lack of any team defence will get exposed. Warrnambool won't turn the ball over like other sides so North will have to become accountable. They have to stop Wbool momentum when wbool get going they are very hard to stop! Pressure around the ball carrier and the outside of stoppages is key! For Warrnambool they will have to get the key match ups right Parish? Lewis? Is it Fary or Bright for Parish? Do they have the smarts? Chrinside for lewis will be a great battle maybe the one of the keys.
In the end I think a Jackson Bell led midfield runs riot Cowling and Graham walk away with a bag and North are left thinking about how can we defend better. But just for a second wouldnt it great if Parish did kick a bag North win and we have another contender for the flag?

I was at the footy other day and spoke to an official from another club. There seems to be a common issue that there is a shortage of volunteers. It's sad when club presidents, club secretaries/football managers got not only their own jobs on match days to run the event, but they got to also be timekeepers, goal umpires and etc, because lot of spectators and parents will not approach them, offering to help out. Football should not be about what's in it for me. It's about what can I do to help improve the club. This guy was telling me that quite a few parents drop their kids for the unders game, then knick off. Treating footy clubs like a baby sitting service. Some just sit in the cars twindling their thumbs. There's still plenty of parents out there still do contribute toward's their clubs, even though few others don't help out. It would be good if spectators and parents approach their clubs and volunteer their service. Trust me, voluntary work brings a great deal of satisfaction. "Extra hands make light work!"

Last edited:
Just had a look at Portlands senior side for Saturday against Cobden. They have 17 at least aged 20 or under. I would like to know how that compares to Cobdens young side. Anyway should be a great game. Go Tiges!!

Great to see port fairy bounce back after a surprise loss to Cobden, on their day they really do look dangerous. Also North could have had a big upset if a shot on the siren went through but good to see them play well against Warrnambool. I don't think its a race between two, those teams below can do anything on their day. Good for the league.

Next three rounds could go along way to who makes 5 spot on the HFNL Senior ladder. Will be very interesting. I believe Portland can match all sides but the top 4 sides. Had 39 shots in Saturdays game against Cobden. Unfortunately game was tainted by ugly malee involving most of the players on the ground.

Next three rounds could go along way to who makes 5 spot on the HFNL Senior ladder. Will be very interesting. I believe Portland can match all sides but the top 4 sides. Had 39 shots in Saturdays game against Cobden. Unfortunately game was tainted by ugly malee involving most of the players on the ground.
What happened/started the malee?

Yes I agree that malee put a dampener on the game yesterday, it was a fairly ugly incident, which got the crowd fired up and even the coaches! Having said that Portland were awesome and could've won by more, but took the foot of the pedal and let Cobden get the last 3 or 4 goals. Cobden didn't really seem that switched on yesterday compared to Portland. Tough one again next week with Port Fairy away. But the young Tiges are really improving and playing fast running free flowing football.

We've had discussions in the past in regards to the future of the reserves grade in our comp, due to lack of numbers. However, I've spoken to other officials from other clubs and they tell me there all battling with numbers themselves, as well the club I'm involved with. We do need the reserve grade. My solutions to this issue, is have 16 a side on the field and not 18; and reduce the age limit of the unders, which is 18 a half, back to 17 a half. Alot of 16 to 18 year olds are playing seniors, and I think its silly having the unders at 18 a half. Way to high! If you bring it back to 17 a half, the other grades on Sundays need to be lowered as well. Too many junior grades, for example Terang last year could not field both under 16s and under 14s. For Sundays I would have two grades only, and make it aged under 15s and 13s, providing the Saturday unders is back to aged 17 a half. The Warrnambool District has a good system. They have the junior grades at under 17 a half and 14 a half, and there all played on the one day (Saturday). Wimmera league does the same as Warrnambool District as well. If all you readers share the same view, speak to your club boards about this, and they bring those ideas to the league.

Watched paul hinkley play last week in the gfl and was very impressed with him, a very good footballer who is defiantly one of the best backs in our comp. it got me Interested to go up the hwy from Geelong this year and watch a hfnl game as I've always followed this league from afar. I've followed camperdown, Cobden and terang as there this side of Geelong. I was wandering which club has the biggest supporter base and has a good friendly feel at home games? Cheers guys

I went and watched Port Fairy and Portland play yesterday....WOW!!! What a display from the Seagulls. The Tiges were too small, too young and totally outplayed by a very skill full Port Fairy side. They were great to watch!
From what I've seen of the other sides in the comp, I think on their day they would match it with the top 3

I went and watched Port Fairy and Portland play yesterday....WOW!!! What a display from the Seagulls. The Tiges were too small, too young and totally outplayed by a very skill full Port Fairy side. They were great to watch!
From what I've seen of the other sides in the comp, I think on their day they would match it with the top 3
Port Fairy were very impressive against the Tigers. Very clean and excellent ball movement. Hare and McCartney finished off the good work in front of the big sticks. Hard to say how they would go against the top three..very different opposition. The current top 5 sides are the best 5 in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing win last weekend by port fairy. Watch for Portland to bounce back and stich up hamilton back at home this week. Hamilton seem to be struggling. Young side, but have also had injuries to key players.still seem to be below where they should be? Thoughts?
Cobden Camperdown should be a cracker, I'll tip Cobden at home. Warrnambool will be too strong for south. Koroit will be too strong for terang who havnt seemed to have hit their straps just yet. North v port fairy seems to be an interesting one on both teams current form. Will be a tight game I predict but north at home should get over the line.
Seems Koroit and Warrnambool as predicted by everyone at the start of the year will be the top 2. North have been impressive but when it comes to the crunch mayb don't have the depth. Port fairy have been all guns blazing or poor from week to week but look dangerous on their day.

All 3 clubs you mentioned have a traditional rivalry with each other, but still in a good respectful manner. Going by the twitter followers, Cobden has 501, Mortlake/Terang 489 and Camperdown 419. Being small rural communities, those footy clubs are the heartbeat for each of their own towns. For example if you are playing 4 Cobden FC, you are representing their town as well their club. Playing 4 a typical club in Geelong, feels like your just representing their footy club only. Good thing about those 3 eastern clubs, they have a country charm atmosphere and the home crowd are right behind you. Real community atmosphere! I have had reports that the GFL stronger is then ours, but our comp still punches well above their weight. Our comp is nearly even, and on a given day the bottom sides can match the sides that are in the five. Our comp has also produced many VFL/AFL players as well. I hope this answers your questions, and thanks 4 showing interest in us.

Thank you very much for your in depth review mate. You are right about gfl, the standard is electric and many footballers from the hfnl come down and try themselves out. Most are very good players and it's a credit to your league and clubs. ATM we have kevin Bourke, Sam Kelly, Tim brown, Danny O'keefe, Sam boyd ard there the blokes I no of off the top of my head and they are all very good footballers. You are also right the clubs really don't support the suburb except for clubs such as grovedale and Leopold who have very strong local support from the suburb, esspically grovedale. I look from afar and think for the standard you guys produce and to see so many players that are local and not travelling for big money from melbourne like most big leagues do is awsome. i no myself and the gfl community really respect you guys I'm goin to try and get down to watch cobden, who is there biggest rival? Can't wait!

All you guys are abit quiet and no-one seems to have anything to discuss about. Anyone got any news? I would like to talk about netball. Every week I pop over and watch the A grade girls play. Netball plays a large role in footy clubs, because it brings the families and couples to the footy. If you play footy, your girl friend/wife and sister can play netball at the same venue at the same time. Parents then watch their kids play footy and netball. One stop shop! Without netball, crowds would be down big time. The A grade has been interesting and tight. On the ladder the team which is 7th is still only 2 games away from 2nd on the ladder. So I encourage u all to pop over the courts, and give the girls abit of support, even if its only for a quarter of a game, as I know alot of you are there for the footy. It really does bring a family club atmosphere. Comparing to the minor leagues, I've noticed the our girls are alot faster, taller and look more athletic. They get quite competitive 2...lol.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your in depth review mate. You are right about gfl, the standard is electric and many footballers from the hfnl come down and try themselves out. Most are very good players and it's a credit to your league and clubs. ATM we have kevin Bourke, Sam Kelly, Tim brown, Danny O'keefe, Sam boyd ard there the blokes I no of off the top of my head and they are all very good footballers. You are also right the clubs really don't support the suburb except for clubs such as grovedale and Leopold who have very strong local support from the suburb, esspically grovedale. I look from afar and think for the standard you guys produce and to see so many players that are local and not travelling for big money from melbourne like most big leagues do is awsome. i no myself and the gfl community really respect you guys I'm goin to try and get down to watch cobden, who is there biggest rival? Can't wait!

Who is the best player in the comp?
Mcintyre, B Dobson, S Dobson, cowling, graham, Goodall, Templeton, Crane, Nicholson? Or someone else....?

Everyone have a look at this http://www.foxfootyclubrewards.com.au/

If your club has done a community initiative (raised money for something etc) then you can become part of this program and win prizes like meeting senior AFL coaches etc.

Entries close this Sunday so get onto it! No catch or anything

Must be a gun then..heard he is injured again? Can Warrnambool beat Koroit without him? Why hasn't Trav graham been playing? Injured?

Must be a gun then..heard he is injured again? Can Warrnambool beat Koroit without him? Why hasn't Trav graham been playing? Injured?
His a freak! If Koroit have a full side on the park wbool will need him playing to beat them, along with trav g in the side, round 1 these two blokes won the game for them. Trav kicked 5 and McIntyre was best on.
There have been a lot of rumours to why trav hasn't been playing but his a big key to them if they want to win the flag.
What's your thoughts on who makes up the top 5 now? And what order!

Warrnambool
Koroit
Port fairy
North
Terang

Holmer back for port will make a big difference, don't know if the seagulls can do much damage in finals but I think they will finish third. Still out of Koroit and Warrnambool for the flag.

Warrnambool
Koroit
Port fairy
North
Terang

Holmer back for port will make a big difference, don't know if the seagulls can do much damage in finals but I think they will finish third. Still out of Koroit and Warrnambool for the flag.
Dont rule out Port Fairy for flag yet..with a fully fit side and Holmer back they could do some damage come finals. Think this will be an interesting finals series coming up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back