Not open for further replies.

dblstR

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
This just makes me furious, hope the campaigner rots in hell. I wish Phil was awake and up at the time, no doubt the would've been able to at least defend himself

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Seriously disturbing stuff.

It's too awful.

Like, the worst thing is this was basically inevitable. They're born this way, and there's nothing you can do about it. He was a ticking time bomb. If they had known - and that would've needed them to see him not through the prism of a parent - they could have gotten him into care. But basically, this is the result of something that is just there in nature, it's awful, and it just...I mean, what do you do?

A family has lost a pillar, a footy club has lost its leader, and a community has lost a person it dearly loved too. It's completely ****ed, and I'm so angry. Can't imagine how people are going to get their heads around this as details spread around.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
It's too awful.

Like, the worst thing is this was basically inevitable. They're born this way, and there's nothing you can do about it. He was a ticking time bomb. If they had known - and that would've needed them to see him not through the prism of a parent - they could have gotten him into care. But basically, this is the result of something that is just there in nature, it's awful, and it just...I mean, what do you do?

A family has lost a pillar, a footy club has lost its leader, and a community has lost a person it dearly loved too. It's completely ****ed, and I'm so angry. Can't imagine how people are going to get their heads around this as details spread around.
It's left field of surreal. Some of the expectations he had of himself were also chilling. A mind taking in positive discipline and turning it to an abhorrent purpose.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
As bad a picture as they do paint, people believing they're able to diagnose incredibly complex psychological disorders from a few rambling blog entries is a bit much. I'm assuming nobody in this thread is a qualified psychiatrist?

Apr 30, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
MUFC, Golden State Warriors
I would suggest if he was under the influence of any drugs that night that they were being used for dutch courage based on the new information that is being alleged.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
As bad a picture as they do paint, people believing they're able to diagnose incredibly complex psychological disorders from a few rambling blog entries is a bit much. I'm assuming nobody in this thread is a qualified psychiatrist?
That's a fair point but he was either bat s**t crazy or high as a kite. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That's a fair point but he was either bat s**t crazy or high as a kite. Otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

It may have been a combination of both. Having been remanded in custody to James Nash House after his psychological assessment at the Flinders Medical Centre suggests there is something very wrong going on inside his head. However, what would we know? The account we've had of the story thus far could be a complete fabrication.

It could be that it's entirely correct, but at this stage, "The Herald Sun understands" isn't quite definitive enough for me.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't need to be a Doctor to know the difference between a cold, a broken leg or the measles.

Now if he is a schizophrenic or bi polar then fair enough. But you really don't have to be Freud to see the very clear narcissism in that blog. The very fact he has a blog having achieved what appears to be the grand total of zero in his life tells you something.

I'm sick to death of the Molly coddling bullshit which is dished out to explain away people I refer to as wrong 'uns. That's just who they are.

This is not a child - it's a 26 yo man, living in the heart of a loving family. Don't tell me if he was either schizophrenic or bi polar that his family would not have been all over it and he would have been properly medicated.

This is a spoilt brat who was most likely trading off his own fathers guilt for past absence.

Now you can say I'm jumping the gun and being judgmental - come at me. If it smells, looks and sounds like ..... Then it's a .....

And yes...I do have a daughter aged 9 and I will deal with c...s like him soon as I smell them.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't need to be a Doctor to know the difference between a cold, a broken leg or the measles.

Now if he is a schizophrenic or bi polar then fair enough. But you really don't have to be Freud to see the very clear narcissism in that blog. The very fact he has a blog having achieved what appears to be the grand total of zero in his life tells you something.

I'm sick to death of the Molly coddling bullshit which is dished out to explain away people I refer to as wrong 'uns. That's just who they are.

This is not a child - it's a 26 yo man, living in the heart of a loving family. Don't tell me if he was either schizophrenic or bi polar that his family would not have been all over it and he would have been properly medicated.

This is a spoilt brat who was most likely trading off his own fathers guilt for past absence.

Now you can say I'm jumping the gun and being judgmental - come at me. If it smells, looks and sounds like ..... Then it's a .....

And yes...I do have a daughter aged 9 and I will deal with c...s like him soon as I smell them.

I don't disagree with you mate. Just saying that calling the guy a clinical psychopath based on some blog entries and an account of his crime which may be completely false is somewhat flawed at this stage.

Either way, it appears that he's committed a horrific, and brutal murder. Whether that's the result of a severe mental illness, a psychological disorder, or a moment of madness, he needs to be dealt with in a manner that has the interests of public safety at the forefront.

For what it's worth, I have heard he has been treated in the past for mental illness. What exactly that was, I don't know, and I must stress that this is now third hand information.

huludicidal

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

I am by no means a qualified psychiatrist, but I do have a degree in Behavioural Science with a major in Criminal Justice, so I have some knowledge of the topic.

We need more facts, but, in my opinion, the likelihood of Cy ultimately being diagnosed with a mental illness / personality disorder of some description is very high (bordering on a certainty).

Is he a psychopath? A sociopath? Does he suffer from Schizophrenia, or even the lesser known Borderline Personality Disorder? Probably one of those, yep, although there are other possibilities.

Borderline Personality Disorder is definitely something I'd be looking into here personally. I certainly don't know if he will ultimately be diagnosed with this, but it needs to be considered.

headache1 is correct in saying that complex psychological disorders can not be diagnosed from blog entries though, and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. For all we know, Cy was painting a false or deluded picture of himself in those blog entries. The only accurate analysis of his mental state will be taking place in the secure confines of James Nash House as we speak.

I think it's clear we're dealing with something far more complex than a dude jacked up on ice or a bloke who got really angry with his old man so he decided to stab him to show him who's boss though. Cy is pretty clearly mentally ill. How much 'blame' you want to place on him for his actions once the details of this illness are professionally diagnosed is completely up to you. I'm certainly not suggesting that we should shrug our shoulders and say 'well, he's mentally ill, it wasn't his fault, poor Cy'. I'm not of that view at all, regardless of what he ends up being diagnosed with. There is a level of responsibility still attached - the degree of that responsibility is yet to be determined. There are plenty of ways this tragedy could have been avoided, regardless of the affliction (in my opinion).

This situation is extraordinarily difficult for anyone to comprehend. It makes me feel sick even writing about it. Let's spare a thought for Meredith and Quinn. The pain they must be feeling is just... impossible to imagine.

That's really all I have to say about the psychological side of all of this for now. Let's wait for the professionals to give us a thorough diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back