Unpopular tennis-related opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

It's amazing how sensitive everyone is. I think I could be the only one that doesn't give a s**t about:

a) Kyrgios' attitude
b) Tomic's attitude
c) Fanatics' attitude
d) Every little thing one of our own players do.
I agree with the first part for sure, the fanatics aren't my cup of tea though. Not against vocal support in and of itself I think the Genie Army do it quite well, just I think the Fanatics are unoriginal and cringeworthy.

Sorry everyone for the rant I am about to unleash.

The fanatics have just been let into hisense arena, a group of about 50 close to the court.

People have been waiting in line for 2-3 hours to get into hisense arena and the line is still huge.

It is absolutely corrupt, unfair, absolute horse s**t that these morons have been let into the court because AO organisers and channel 7 believe its a good look.

I am absolutely disgusted right now.

This doesn't help either.

Last edited:

I'm seeing a game between natratilova and little chrissie. It's seems so slow and weak. Try one of them against serena.

Really I don't know what the sharks problem was with her. For a woman from decades passed, she looks ok. Modern American. Whereas martina, she's her her own distinct style. really bad haircut.

I can't stand watching tennis. Men's or women's. It just seems so limited, so banal, there's no physical component, the actual skill involved has no grace or flair (a 'great shot' is defined by it's outcome - ie, where the ball eventually lands, rather than any attractiveness in the actual execution). The continual un-necessary stopping for 30 seconds between points, sitting down between games (sometimes only about 2 minutes after the previous end-change) means the game has little actual flow or rhythm.

The hoopla and celebrity-style fawning over players (far more than other sports) is another factor.

I don't like soccer, but I can see why people like it. Just not my cup of tea, but I accept it is for some people. Most major sports have good and bad parts to them. Tennis has a clever scoring system that seems to bring up 'critical moments' continuously, but because so many are 'critical' (oooh, 15-30 on serve, ooh, break point, etc) they lose their impact (until 4-4 in the 5th set, after 3 hours of tedium).

I just don't get why it's so universally popular. To me, there's nothing likeable about it.

I can't stand watching tennis. Men's or women's. It just seems so limited, so banal, there's no physical component, the actual skill involved has no grace or flair (a 'great shot' is defined by it's outcome - ie, where the ball eventually lands, rather than any attractiveness in the actual execution). The continual un-necessary stopping for 30 seconds between points, sitting down between games (sometimes only about 2 minutes after the previous end-change) means the game has little actual flow or rhythm.
You could not be any more wrong if you tried.

I just don't get why it's so universally popular. To me, there's nothing likeable about it.
I feel the same about rugby so each to their own I guess. But you're way off the mark in the first quote. Way off. Sounds like you've only watch a little bit of tennis if any at all.

A funny opinion since I am a tennis fan, but I think the average tennis loving fan is a sooky, nerdy *. They laugh at the dumbest s**t a player may do on court, they want everyone to behave like mummies-boys like Rafter and Fed, even the majority of the media are self-righteous w*nkers.

Professional sport is just another form of entertainment, yet these idiots would prefer to be bored to death.

go Kyrgios.

A funny opinion since I am a tennis fan, but I think the average tennis loving fan is a sooky, nerdy ******. They laugh at the dumbest s**t a player may do on court, they want everyone to behave like mummies-boys like Rafter and Fed, even the majority of the media are self-righteous w*nkers.

Professional sport is just another form of entertainment, yet these idiots would prefer to be bored to death.

go Kyrgios.
I think that should read 'the average tennis fan who doesn't follow other sports'. There are plenty of tennis fans such as myself who think the likes of Kyrgios are a breath of fresh air. And the second part, I agree, in Grothy's match against Federer the crowd laughed every time Sam stuffed his ball tossed and said "sorry mate". How the * is that funny? It's completely normal.

And the second part, I agree, in Grothy's match against Federer the crowd laughed every time Sam stuffed his ball tossed and said "sorry mate". How the **** is that funny? It's completely normal.

Centre court crowds at the tennis are like the GF AFL crowd. Not many genuine tennis fans there. A lot of corporates and socialites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A funny opinion since I am a tennis fan, but I think the average tennis loving fan is a sooky, nerdy ******. They laugh at the dumbest s**t a player may do on court, they want everyone to behave like mummies-boys like Rafter and Fed, even the majority of the media are self-righteous w*nkers.

go Kyrgios.

Similar opinion to mine, look at the exhibition event in Adelaide here World Tennis Challenge how people laugh at that is beyond me yet they manage to fill the place up every year, pretty much sums up the average tennis fan. Then as soon as someone shows a bit of personality on court they say it's a bad look, yes he's immature but still not worth sooking over. In fact I think once he stopped getting all the attention he gets currently over on court antics he'd probably stop doing them.

Not sure if unpopular but Kyrigos will win a slam before the likes of Nishikori, Dimitrov and Raonic.

I will "Shoot Bambi" and agree with Tomic that Pat Rafter isn't all he appears to be.

I am not a fan of Pat Rafter. I see him as a phoney.

I remember during the time when Mark Phillippoussis wasn't going to play Davis Cup because his father was ill, and Newcombe called him "unpatriotic" and turned the public against him (something which made me lose all respect for Newcombe).

During this time, Pat Rafter was the main guy in the Australian Davis Cup team. Now, when this situation happened, I expected Rafter, as the elder statesman of the players, to try to breach the gap and play mediator. I thought he could talk to Scud and encourage him to play the Davis Cup. He also had the ear of Newcombe, and could have gently presented Scud's side, and get each party to see the other's point of view.

Did Rafter do this? No. Instead, he fully endorsed Newcombe's disgusting bullying of Scud, and threw Phillippoussis, his Davis Cup teammate under the bus. You see, Pat wants to be loved by the media and the public, and does and says whatever makes him look good, even if he sidelines fellow teammates to do it. He is a brownoser and suck-up, who feathers his own nest and hangs others out to dry to a public baying for blood.

I heard that a lot of the men on the tour don't like Rafter. Even Hewitt clashed with him. Maybe this is why Tomic berates Rafter, and Kyrigos may pull out in support of Tomic. Rafter does nothing to support his players, just like he never supported teammates publicly. Instead of speaking for the other Australian men's players, he joined the stone-throwers.

To do something like that speaks volumes about Rafter's lack of character. He presents himself as this virtuous, holier-than-thou atttitude. He won Grand Slams, and talked up Davis Cup (which is really just a tin-pot competition which exists so some backwater countries who don't get tournaments can learn to play tennis between looking for food, and dodging bullets from the banana republics they live in), which is all you need to do to get a fickle Australian tennis public on-side.

Also, Rafter, the Australian, who represents this country, lives in Bermuda, where it is a tax-haven. So, instead of living here, and paying tax to help the country he claims to love, he instead doesn't pay a cent back to this country and keeps it all himself. I know they all do it, but this virtuous Pat we are talking about, who is meant to be better than the rest.

Another unpopular opinion I have is, and this concerns all sport, who cares how a player conducts himself.

I would rather have an Australian player who is a complete and utter prick, but becomes the No. 1 player in the world, and beats Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray in Grand Slams, than some nice guy boy scout, who is No. 135 in the world, and is lucky if he gets past the first round of a minor tournament.

Results count. In 100 years time, it doesn't matter if you are a nice guy, all people in 100 years time will see when they read the record books is how many Grand Slams you won.

I don't pay $25 to go to the MCG, to the footy, to see footy players help little old ladies across the road.

Lleyton Hewitt is a prick, but went from being hated to loved, because he won Grand Slams. Australians want winners, so as long as you win all the time, you can be a complete a...hole if you want. People may want to see you lose, but you are too good, so it doesn't happen.

That "sportspeople being role model" crap is only said by people who resent their child loving a sportsperson rather than their own parent. Often, the parent has failed as a role model, and then blames his child's bad behaviour on sportspeople, who the child never met, than on the parents, who shape your ultimate values. The media play off this, because to hold parents responsible for being role models is to criticize their audience, who don't want to be lectured to or called out, and people will simply switch off or stop reading your paper if you point the finger at the real "role models".

It isn't bad sportspeople who are screwing up today's kids, and teaching them a lack of disrespect and an "entitlement mentality". It is their douchebag parents who can't teach their kids better values. Stop making sportspeople the scapegoat for your failure as a parent.

go Kyrgios.

I think tennis is a great sport, but the crowds, the commentators and most of the male players do my head in. The women, in general, don't seem to be as badly afflicted by this, but I consider the men to be flogs unless they prove otherwise (though I will admit, the guys at the top of the pile in the ATP at the moment seem to be a pretty good bunch). If they're not berating some harmless umpire with a monologue that they probably spent half an hour rehearsing in front of the mirror the night before (Roddick was a good one for that), they're hamming it up with the ballboys and girls like clowns. And the spectators and the commentators piss themselves laughing. 'Oh, he gave the ballboy a high five!! He brought out a big racquet!! HAHAHAHAHA!'

And I have to agree with others: I don't give a stuff if a player is Australian. They're playing for themselves (the vast majority of the time), not their country. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it's a fact.

Sharapova gets a bad wrap. Simply because of her screams each time she hits the ball the whole tennis world barracks against her during her matches. Cant be easy playing your whole career any every match the crowd is cheering on your opponent.

Would much rather Sharapova win any tennis match over Stosur.

Sharapova gets a bad wrap. Simply because of her screams each time she hits the ball the whole tennis world barracks against her during her matches. Cant be easy playing your whole career any every match the crowd is cheering on your opponent.

If she stopped screaming and showed a personality people might warm to her though.

You sure? I think alot of people like Sharapova. People just maybe cheering an underdog? Williams is more disliked.

Ah yes so true.

Just watch the media pump up Stosur every summer just for her to disappoint every time.

I don't like John Newcombe.

That's as popular as it gets. Up himself, s**t commentator who fails to recognise how much the game has evolved and seems like a pretty ordinary person as well. Happy to rip into the current generation of players even though had he been playing now he would have had nowhere near the same amount of success. Can't stand him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back