Ryan Harris Retires

Weagleman

May 18, 2015
Such a waste that an amazing bowler like rhino has paper knees could've been 400+wicket taker, it's been a pleasure watching you mate.

Sep 8, 2002
Rhyno you are an absolute champion and i *in love you. Enjoy retirement mate, i wish you could have lead us to one more series win but it just wasn't meant to be.

I will never forget your last delivery against the Saffers

Or this ripper against Cook

And i suggest everyone read this awesome article that Jarrod Kimber wrote about Harris, it truly is a great article.

http://cricketwithballs.com/2014/03...n-synovial-fluid-tears-bone-tendon-and-blood/

Cupid Stunt

Feb 6, 2012
GWS
Disappointing he wasn't able to play the series. A career far too short...will definitely miss him.

That ball he bowled Cook with (2nd innings, 3rd test of 13/14 ashes) is one of the best pace deliveries I have ever seen.

Wow can't believe he only played 27 tests.

As posted above. That over vs the Saffers, knocked over Steyn and Morkel when the game looked certain to end in a draw. Just watched the video again and sends shivers down my spine. Amazing courage, belief, determination, work rate. That will beat talent any day (not that he doesn't have talent).

Costanza_

Apr 2, 2008
West Ham United
Shame his battered old body couldn't get up for one last Ashes campaign. A huge blow to our chances and he would personally be so disappointed not to be out there.

Fabulous bowler. Tremendous competitior. Top bloke. All the best Rhino.

Geelong_Bisons_#36

Jun 17, 2007
Inverleigh Hawks
Gun bowler. What more can you say.
When he was fit, he was the best fast bowler in the world over the last 5 years.
Better than Johnson and Steyn.
Just a real shame he has the knees of a 85 year old.
How good is that ball to Cook in the video above? Only the greats can do things like that.

crownie

Jul 31, 2005
a short but great career and proof you can play the game hard but fair and be well liked.

wish there were more cricketers in the world like him.

Hellgood

10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
His transformation from a fairly stock standard medium pace trundler into the hustling, bustling, seriously sharp bowler he turned into almost overnight was remarkable. Think it was Graham Manou who said that one day everything inexplicably just got a hell of a lot faster!

Excellent career, was fairly brief on the international scene but bloody hell what an impact he had in both tests and the 50 over format. To still play with such high standards every time he got on the park despite often missing months of cricket in between is legendary.

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
Boxing
Great innings Rhino. One of the biggest hearts in Australian cricket history. What a pity those old, war torn knees couldn't last just a bit longer.

worbod

Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
Liverpool
Such a waste that an amazing bowler like rhino has paper knees could've been 400+wicket taker, it's been a pleasure watching you mate.

And with a Test batting average of 21.53 he could have also potentially cruised past 1000 runs, and maybe snuck in a century somewhere along the way.

Jun 16, 2012
Wow can't believe he only played 27 tests.

As posted above. That over vs the Saffers, knocked over Steyn and Morkel when the game looked certain to end in a draw. Just watched the video again and sends shivers down my spine. Amazing courage, belief, determination, work rate. That will beat talent any day (not that he doesn't have talent).
Could you link that video?

Rhyno you are an absolute champion and i ****in love you. Enjoy retirement mate, i wish you could have lead us to one more series win but it just wasn't meant to be.

I will never forget your last delivery against the Saffers

is 4eva etched in my memory.

he's always been my man. MY MAN

il never forget his efforts at the gabba.

DaRick

Jan 12, 2008
(See avatar)
Such a great bowler...when he was fit. Possibly the most courageous bowler I've ever come across, with all the setbacks he went through, he just kept on roaring back. I guess this time his 35-year old body couldn't take the strain.

We can cope OK without him in English conditions I would think, but we are going to miss him a LOT.

Jan 13, 2001
Waiting at the door for the pub to reopen
Man City
A sad loss, but sadly also we all knew that he knees would only last so long before finally giving up. For mine our best quick easily best quick post McGrath and can be argued that when fit was better than him.

Interesting to note that since his debut missed more test than he played due to injury (played 27 of 56).

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Russell Jackson ‏@rustyjacko 3h3 hours ago
Ryan Harris: 27 Tests, 113 wickets. Bruce Reid: 27 Tests, 113 wickets. Both champions we'd have loved to have seen more of.

It's a pretty good comparison, even though their physiques couldn't be further apart. Very similar averages, economy rates and strike rates, but the two big differences were Harris' INCREDIBLE record in ODI and being more than handy with the bat. He nearly hit the classic definition of an all-rounder with his batting average only marginally below his bowling average!

Australia will definitely feel his loss in this Ashes series, but I think we still have enough firepower to get over the Poms.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
And i suggest everyone read this awesome article that Jarrod Kimber wrote about Harris, it truly is a great article.

http://cricketwithballs.com/2014/03...n-synovial-fluid-tears-bone-tendon-and-blood/

Almost everything he writes is brilliant (his day-by-day test match coverage less so, but that's understandable) and he is far and away the best cricket writer around. This piece on Rhino is just superb - the summation of his efforts against South Africa are exactly how I feel (in this specific case and often about statistics in general - both footy and cricket!):

"In the years to come it will read 24.3 overs, 15 maidens, 32 runs and four wickets. But unless it was written in synovial fluid, tears, bone, tendon and blood, no one will ever understand how good Ryan Harris was today."

Hellgood

10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
Almost everything he writes is brilliant (his day-by-day test match coverage less so, but that's understandable) and he is far and away the best cricket writer around. This piece on Rhino is just superb - the summation of his efforts against South Africa are exactly how I feel (in this specific case and often about statistics in general - both footy and cricket!):

"In the years to come it will read 24.3 overs, 15 maidens, 32 runs and four wickets. But unless it was written in synovial fluid, tears, bone, tendon and blood, no one will ever understand how good Ryan Harris was today."

Kimber's a gun, but has some very stiff competition with Russell Jackson and Gideon Haigh.