Review Match review v blues.. The good, the bad and Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

The channel 7 Saturday night team are like the tediously boring fanatics .
No Brian, Matthew, and Lingy, it's about the f****** footy !!
Not yourselves

I cannot like this post enough. The word "inane" was invented just so there would be an apt description of the 7 commentary teams output. Who decided Brian Taylor was the best commentator in the land? The same idiot who decided chefs are the new celebrities i bet.

The same idiot who runs Etihad stadium. Having to scan your pass to get out of the carpark is ridiculous and shows a lack of concern for patrons. If you want to know if any cars dont leave the car park after the game have a look moron. Even you will be able to count them there will not be that many (you really should have some idea on this by now)

And that injury to McLean at the end was unnecessary. Dog act and should have been reported.

End of rant.

Win is a win, relieved once again to find a way. Circumstances meant that win felt more like a loss, no song and so on and that has to be taken into account. But we have some guys well down, Dalhause and Bont have had quiet weeks, coping a lot more attention no doubt.

The game this week is harder than it should be, we cop them on the rise with stars back of course and worst of all we forfiet home ground advantage. It could be the difference. We will have some outs, but I think we can cover most of them ok.

Season in our hands still, but long way from finals. Another massive game for us this week.

The Dogs defense this year has been tremendous under Luke Beveridge, especially over the past month. Getting that consistency and continuity has been important and players are starting to gel together down back. Led by Easton Wood who has not only improved his game and having the best season of his career, but he's also in contention for his first All-Australian nomination. Then there's the improvement coming from Johannisen, Roberts, Hamling, Talia and co. When look Beveridge took over as the Bulldogs coach last year, he made it quite clear that he wanted to improve the Dogs defense. In 2015 he's done exactly that as the stats would suggest it's conceding an average of only 82 points per game which ranks them seventh in the league.

It's a young back-line right now, but in 2-3 years time it may be one of the strongest in the league.

Arrggh I know had to keep telling my 6 y/o to stop copying him and NOT to call him the package!
Same! I expect to have to repeat the conversation with my sons when we sit down to watch the replay from 10:30 on Fox this morning.

Back at the hotel after a few post game beers.....

I reckon this is the type of game I'd be pissed off if I was watching on tv, but wasn't so fussed being at the ground. Yes, we were poor in a number of areas but we looked quite professional in icing the game in the 4th from a long way out.

Redpath not great - Boyd already gives us more, so unless the drink sees them playing together I think Jack might be vfl only. Draftees all great, CD in the third was awesome. Good night all in all .
Agreed re Redpath - would/should not be playing (at this stage) but for an injury to big Tom.

I stand by my pre-match thoughts that opposition backlines would just run off any forward line that we had which included Redpath and a resting Minson. They're just not mobile enough. Top sides would exploit that setup and murder us.

An ugly win, but those are just as beneficial to a young side as a pretty one.

I think the chipping around for 10 minutes to finish the game is pretty big for our development. It's all well and good to go gung ho for 120 minutes, but that can hurt you if you're not 100% switched on. This way we're learning to kick under pressure at the end of the game, and to really control the ball and use it on our terms, something that's massive come finals time. Plus chipping it around draws players out of position to cover so if we have to attack it's easier to find a target.

So obviously Daniel and McLean had great games, well done lads, you'll be Bulldogs legends before you know it. And speaking of legends, well done Moyd, 31 touches and a vintage goal in your 250th, you're an absolute star. Apart from a couple of hospital handpasses Picken was solid. Redpath did the job he was brought in to do, a goal for his efforts would've been nice and deserved but overall he clunked some bloody nice marks and drew defenders out. Definitely a pass from me. Stevens work again went unheralded, and Moz and Murph were their usual dependable selfs (except for one or two rare misses each).

I think the Saints and Blues had also realised that they weren't going to beat us playing THEIR natural games, and that's why they've played that style, in an effort to nullify ours. I think against the better sides they'll back themselves to beat us at their own games and won't set up so defensively, meaning we can go back to our style a lot easier.

OK
1. Caleb Daniel is a footballer. Full stop. End of story. Just gets it.
2. Live at the game, Dickson could have had 10 goals tonight. A bigger "almost" game I haven't seen.
3. Stringer was hopeless for the first half. Game noticeably opened up about 10 mins into the 3rd and everyone started looking better, but very meh up til then.
4. Did Honeychurch touch the ball?
5. McLean is a very promising player. Good hands, good skills, good speed. Also jumps well.
6. Hamling and Fletcher with their athleticism are well ahead of Talia now IMO.
7. Morris is showing his age, I hate to say. Still a fantastic defender, but might be time for him to coach.
8. Where the hell has Bontempelli gone?
9. Macrae's kicking is still s**t but his efforts around the ball to mop up others problems and create space by hand and hard work was very noticeable.
10. A lot more work went into Wood by Carlton, they didn't go through his area as much.
11. Redpath will struggle to make it, he can't control his area in the air or in a marking contest. Gets pushed around too much BUT was good in the last quarter. He seems to model his game around a player like Barry Hall in that he relies solely on separation and getting the ball on the lead; he'll struggle with our appalling forward entries. Sitting the ball on his head is a recipe for disaster. Shows how good Boyd has been. So much work needs to be put into hitting shorter targets in the 50 instead of bombing it in to the square. IT DOESN'T FARKING WORK. The hit on Simpson was great - I was right there and poor Kade got lined up and BANG. Loved it. Some of his marking was good but I'm still concerned with what I saw. I don't think he can play in the same forward line as Boyd. Liked his field kicking and his shot on goal was well kicked but missed. Just don't know but concerned.
12. Grant was awesome at the start but went missing in the middle of the game, he's still creative and linking up the play really well.
13. Minson worked hard but I think his days are marked, we need a Kreuzer type ruckman who is more athletic. His inability to get the ball to the front in a marking contest frustrates the s**t out of me. It's what Jones used to do, the ball gets over the back, to the side etc when our smalls are front and square.

Rubbish game. We played poorly and Carlton brought good heat but were ultimately outclassed. We're just going though and I think we need a stronger opponent to bring the best out of us. Clearly teams are clogging up the middle against us and not letting us burst through, our long game around around the wing is abysmal.

Seriously worried about Gold Coast.

Last edited:
I had the privilege of going down to the rooms last night after the game. Completely unforgettable how sombre the mood was following a tight victory, the players walked in without a word being said, no high fives, no smiles. I don't believe any of our players would have been coached under Phil Walsh but it goes to show how different this round of football is to any other, nobody has been left unaffected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the privilege of going down to the rooms last night after the game. Completely unforgettable how sombre the mood was following a tight victory, the players walked in without a word being said, no high fives, no smiles. I don't believe any of our players would have been coached under Phil Walsh but it goes to show how different this round of football is to any other, nobody has been left unaffected.
Koby Stevens was and the other to be affected would be Monty. But yeah your point is a very well made one, the faces in the circle tributes have been of grief and sadness.

I watched Alistair Clarkson's presser after their win over Collingwood and he said that Hawthorn are not traveling all that well at the moment and really no side is. He mentioned that at this time every year teams are not at their best (I assume they are all implementing very heavy training loads) and that he is really just happy to bank the four points at this stage of the season.

I'm happy that we found a way to win the last two games. We have a lot of kids who are probably struggling physically right now.... but they sure have showed us they can play football. We will be a bloody good side in future years.

CD and McLean were both fantastic. Shattered about McLean's injury. Hopefully it's not something that follows him for his career.
Boyd played a great 250th.
Redpath played an interesting game. He played quite well in patches and his marking was obviously a big positive. Jamison outmaneuvered him on most forward 50 entries. A fair few of the ones going over his head could have been avoided if he held his ground a bit more. Allowed Jamison to just keep shunting him forward. That should come with experience, but not sure he and Boyd can play in the same forward line.
Koby Stevens needs to be getting some serious credit for his form this year. His stoppage work has been great. He's keeping on the move and hard to stop.
Grant was massive in the first quarter. If he can bring that sort of stuff over a full game, that is a HUGE positive.
Anyone know why Dahl had a massive bandage over one of his legs? I dunno if it was padding, but his kneecap looked ******* huge.

cddddeD
DEAD
DEAD
deked
died
dead
I dont cur
Pogba

newchallenger.png

Forgot to mention but Koby Stevens was also outstanding tonight. Why the need to push Stringer into the midfield when we already have koby as our midfield beast.

28 disposals, 7 clearances at 82% efficiency and turning himself into a good clearance mid. Reads the taps really nicely too.

Was BOG IMO!!

His disposal under pressure is getting better - not getting caught so much trying to run through brick walls - being a bit more evasive while he assesses his options. I like the fact that he is prepared to wear contact with the ball in hand - not a hot potato type of player who panics when the opposition looks like they might lay a tackle.

Now that I think about it, thats probably the biggest advantage to large bodied mids - they can stand up in tackles in a way that smaller mids cant. I suppose thats obvious in retrospect, but its what makes players like Bont and Stringer so dangerous.

Stevens becoming a real leader in that midfield and giving us grunt and run.
Maclean , what a beauty he will be.
Daniel , too small will never make !!!!
Grant was heading for his best game ever for us , then drifted right out of the game. Good game but disappointing at the same time.
honeychurch is the worry for me , his skill level for a bloke his size is woeful , attack on the footy will only get you so far these days if you turn it over or don't finnish off. There's a lot of blokes ready to take his spot now on the list.

OK
5. McLean is a very promising player. Good hands, good skills, good speed. Also jumps well.
7. Morris is showing his age, I hate to say. Still a fantastic defender, but might be time for him to coach.

Rubbish game. We played poorly and Carlton brought good heat but were ultimately outclassed. We're just going though and I think we need a stronger opponent to bring the best out of us. Clearly teams are clogging up the middle against us and not letting us burst through, our long game around around the wing is abysmal.

Seriously worried about Gold Coast.

EXPENSIVE WIN :(
According to the paper Morris probably played out the game with a broken jaw suffered in the first quarter :-O :-O
Roughead back injury - never recover quickly form those. a few weeks at least unless it was 'precautionary spasms'
McLean done an AC when that little hobbit-looking prick dropped his elbow into him. GRRRRRRR.

Toby triple effort and tackle by boundary line game highlight for me.

Bloody oath. Loved seeing that from a first year player. Far out he is a jet.

Woke up this morning after having a party to learn that we won
heck yeah
but three players got hurt against blues
god damn it
bring on the replay and maybe some bacon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back