Discussion on Phil Walsh killing; Warning: Disturbing content

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stabbed in the back in bed by your son.........

No. Just no. The kid obviously had some issues dealing with being somewhat of a disappointment to his father. Whether that drove him to drugs or whether it was just a symptom of the world we live in today who knows. We do have to be somewhat careful discussing drugs though, as I do know whats being reported in that regard is 100% incorrect at this stage.

Phil was a demanding bloke no doubt, he would have been a tough but loving Father much like my own. Dad and I have had our share of arguements over time but we are both man enough to deal with it and move on. Today we are going out to the local for lunch for his 55th birthday..... same age as Phil.

Cy isn't a man, he is a weak individual who appears to have used drugs to mask issues he didn't have the skillset to deal with. I do hope when he fully realises what he has done and is in pain for the rest of his days. Guard him with vigor because as mentioned he may try to end it himself, don't let him, let him suffer.

The doubt there was his story that he wasn't aware of who was behind that door. That provided the element of doubt for the judge because it brought in the possibility of self defense, although there was clearly excessive force. That kind of doubt does not exist in this case.

Wasn't mental illness found to be a factor though? He underwent examinations as I remember. .... just checked, he underwent a 30 day assessment but was not found to have suffered from any mental illness.

Anyway, every case is different and as you said the factors surrounding this one are completely different. It was just a case I immediately thought of.

Agree it's a possibility. But leaving a dwelling with a knife in hand that ends up being the instrument used in taking someone's life is a significant hurdle to overcome in terms of intent and right of mind to successfully carry out the act. My very limited understanding is that the mens rea need only exist leading up to and at the time of the event. i think that is what is assessed prior to determining the charge. Again, there's a lot to play out with his assessment and the evidence from those he was with prior to committing this horrific act.
Pretty sure I read a news report somewhere yesterday that it was determined that the knife found in the boot of a car (the one in the photos ) was not the murder weapon.

Pretty sure I read a news report somewhere yesterday that it was determined that the knife found in the boot of a car (the one in the photos ) was not the murder weapon.

That would have a fair impact. The police on the day stated they wouldn't report how the weapon came to be at the scene. I'm guessing they have the weapon in their custody. In a domestic argument situation, you would generally assume that the weapon came from inside the house and was accessed in the heat of the moment. If that was the case, I'm not sure there would be much point in the police being coy on that subject.

In the back... Whilst in bed... Asleep? Ah geez :( :( ... Phil was a relatively big guy, I guess this piece of scum would've known he stood no hope if Phil was up and awake.

I'm just at a loss how you could take the life of someone that has given you yours. This is a nightmare. But god only knows how Meredith and Quinn are coping if all I feel like doing is curling up in bed... My thoughts are solely with them and everyone that was closely associated with Walshy.

My brother passed away 12 months ago last week.

He was a chronic drug and alcohol abuser. He started with weed a a 12 year old and then moved onto LSD, cocaine and heroine before strarting to use Chrystal Meth. He always needed to reach that level of 'high' and the increase in high, required an increase in drugs.

He died as a 41 year old from organ failure and the effects from alcohol and drug abuse to his body. He lived with my wife and I for close to 5 years before my wife had enough of him trying to get clean and kicked him out with the help from police. He moved into half way house in the city.

However, when he was clean - he was one of the nieces and respectful people in the world. He would do anything for anyone and owned his own business but when he was on the 'gear', he turned into a very different person.

One night, and these are just a few of the stories I can share - he slashed one of our dogs throat (for no reason) and buried her down the back garden. He stole a DVD player and sold it. One night, he got home and was hungry and started cooking fish fingers and chips at 3 am. My wife told him to put everything away and go to bed, he pulled a knife on her and told her to "get back to bed or you will die" He loved her like a sister, not just an in law.

I locked us both in the bedroom and rang the police. He was taken away to the Adelaide remand centre but we could not commit him to a psychiatric ward until he was sober as he needed to make that desicion without the effects of mind ultering drugs. He was not bi polar or schizophrenic. He had been to a number of different doctors and they didn't put him on any medication. Yes I know people can hide it and put on an act.

As I told a few via a PM - I had to go and buy him drugs so he didn't kill himself, so I have a lot of knowledge of the Adelaide underworld. and if you still don't believe me, go and check some of the threads I have made and if you still don't believe me - I don't care.

Ok folks some hateful comments are starting to come in. Those feelings are clearly very real and part of the grieving process.
Please try to minimise such postings as worth a group it could get very ugly. Suggest pming some like minded folk if you need to very it out.

I found it suspicious at the time that Cy was charged with murder rather than manslaughter, implying it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment domestic dispute stabbing. If someone 'snaps' during an argument and stabs the other person, that is usually manslaughter, hence why I was surprised the charges were murder.

To hear Walsh was allegedly stabbed in the back while sleeping is just horrific. What a gutless, cowardly act. Simply unforgivable regardless of Cy's mental health or history of drug use.

He was a chronic drug and alcohol abuser. He started with weed a a 12 year old and then moved onto LSD, cocaine and heroine before strarting to use Chrystal Meth. He always needed to reach that level of 'high' and the increase in high, required an increase in drugs.

He died as a 41 year old from organ failure and the effects from alcohol and drug abuse to his body. He lived with my wife and I for close to 5 years before my wife had enough of him trying to get clean and kicked him out with the help from police. He moved into half way house in the city.

However, when he was clean - he was one of the nieces and respectful people in the world. He would do anything for anyone and owned his own business but when he was on the 'gear', he turned into a very different person.

One night, and these are just a few of the stories I can share - he slashed one of our dogs throat (for no reason) and buried her down the back garden. He stole a DVD player and sold it. One night, he got home and was hungry and started cooking fish fingers and chips at 3 am. My wife told him to put everything away and go to bed, he pulled a knife on her and told her to "get back to bed or you will die" He loved her like a sister, not just an in law.

I locked us both in the bedroom and rang the police. He was taken away to the Adelaide remand centre but we could not commit him to a psychiatric ward until he was sober as he needed to make that desicion without the effects of mind ultering drugs. He was not bi polar or schizophrenic. He had been to a number of different doctors and they didn't put him on any medication. Yes I know people can hide it and put on an act.

As I told a few via a PM - I had to go and buy him drugs so he didn't kill himself, so I have a lot of knowledge of the Adelaide underworld. and if you still don't belive me, go and check siome of the threads iu have made and if tiy still don't belive me - i don't care.
I have been in a similar situation for the past 5 or so years so can relate. And your right, the absolute change in people is unbelievable. Hide things so well

As I told a few via a PM - I had to go and buy him drugs so he didn't kill himself, so I have a lot of knowledge of the Adelaide underworld. and if you still don't belive me, go and check siome of the threads iu have made and if tiy still don't belive me - i don't care.
Sorry for your loss mate. And the burden you bore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading his blog I can understand why Phil spent so much time at work ignoring his son, I would too.

I had never heard the term "Sarging" before. Quickly looking it up I found this, so I am sure the obsession with "sarging" didn't help matters:

" Now I’m sure that you guys all know the massive negative effects that neediness has on any interaction.

So consider this: how are you supposed to stay non-needy when needing a woman to feel attracted to you to meet your success criteria?

How are you supposed to avoid the clingy-ness and desperation that comes from needing her to feel attracted to you – when the only thing you’ve gone out for is to make a woman feel attracted to you?

Defining the end result of seduction as your success criteria is the very thing that’s preventing you from actually seducing her.

Sarging is making you worse with women. "

No one has said Walsh was asleep. Not even the news articles.
In bed does not equal asleep.
This could have happened many ways.
The police have said an argument occurred and Walsh was stabbed.

Speculation only, obviously, but it's what I've been thinking about.

I think it's reasonably obvious that Cy and Phil were completely different people. Cy didn't seem to be able to get his s**t together, a bit of a floater, hippie type. Phil a driven, diligent high achiever.

One thing I know from being the later is that things from work can drift over home and I've caught myself out treating my wife and kids like employees in terms of performance management, motivation and achievement. I know that sounds terrible but your brain tries to use what it thinks works, but the motivation is wrong because there is an assumption that everything needs improving to my high (elite?) standards which is a hangup of my type of personality that I battle with.

Phil had a bunch of young men Cy's age that he could performance manage and improve. They listened and hung off his words, they improved as people and they accepted his standards and set out to achieve them. Cy? not a chance in hell he was like that or even capable of being like that. If that didn't cause conflict I'd be very surprised.

Furthermore, by Phil's on words, his devotion and obsession with football has been a family issue. And Phil was talking past tense. Imagine the extra load on family life and obsession with football when he became head coach.

Look, I think Phil would have set high standards for his household and I think some people can handle that and some can't. Footballers obviously can but that doesn't mean anything other than they are obsessed with a goal which is motivation to achieve. Have a look at the fatties that pop up after retirement.

There aren't many people like Phil Walsh and there aren't many people that could live up to his standards.

There is something about a father that is so important. I don't know why but what my father thought about me used to be so important, I'd strive to make him happy. People who had normal fathers might not understand that and if that's you then I would suggest having a normal, loving, nonjudgmental father who supported and encouraged you was a novelty you don't realise you had.

Don't anyone take this as making excuses for Cy. It's just my take on it being a high achiever and performer and having a dad who I could never please.

For those of you who have read some of my posts; it might be confusing how I can talk about being a desolate meth addict and then a successful CEO now. You might be able to add it all up in this one post.

I'm taking nothing away from mothers, I love my mum to bits but one thing is for certain; if any of you are fathers, you are so, so important in your child's mind and life. Don't ever underestimate it.

Last edited:

As I told a few via a PM - I had to go and buy him drugs so he didn't kill himself, so I have a lot of knowledge of the Adelaide underworld. and if you still don't believe me, go and check some of the threads I have made and if you still don't believe me - I don't care.
Sorry to hear. An all too familiar situation.
Anyone that defends drugs has no idea.

As humans in a general way, we have a lot to answer for. Sad.

This is gut wrenching.

In his back while asleep, means premeditation and planning, not just the heat of the moment.

Just horrible.
I always thought it was too much of a coincidence that Walshy was an AFL coach. Walshy's position had to have something to do with his killer's sick motivation, so perhaps one day it will emerge this was some kind of twisted family assassination. 'You think you're such a big deal Dad? I'll show you!' or something like that. This makes it so much worse, that he went with intent to kill his own flesh, his own father, in bed. If found guilty, these are the actions of a very, very bad man.

Whilst I don't doubt there's quite a bit of truth emerging amongst the mayhem being published on news sites, all I can honestly say is please take everything you see/read with a pinch of salt.

My family has been quite prominent in the media over the course of the year and our story is very well known, yet just last week we were the subject of a news story by a journo that not only was completely and utterly fabricated, but actually was the total opposite of the truth. The journo in question ran an entire story about us without making contact with my family, without doing any research and the final product was sloppy at best.

There are some wonderful journos out there who are dedicated to their craft and determined to publish information for the greater good. The other end of the spectrum sees a group of humans who fall somewhere between used car salesmen and lawyers who follow ambulances.

Not trying to cast aspersions about the journo in question, but let's wait until formal police statements have been made and court reports are published.

Last edited:

s**t mate, that's horrific. My younger sister was always into drugs, but our interaction was only a few leant items and a handbag missing here and there, we never experienced anything even remotely violent. She got into meth and killed herself at about 35, when her partner left her. She was always fiercely independant and maintained a facade that her life was fine. Whilst we all had our suspicions we weren't really involved in this part of her life. Much respect for putting yourself out there and doing what you could for your brother.

Clearly he is an immature and insecure young man. Walshy was 30 years older, intelligent, wise and had many successful surrogate sons for Cy to compete with. His son must've felt incredibly inadequate and ignored so he's killed his dad as a way of gaining dominance over him. The psychology of relationships between sons and fathers is deep and complex. But there is lots of evidence to suggest that young men who don't have good relationships with their fathers can become very troubled.

I always thought it was too much of a coincidence that Walshy was an AFL coach. Walshy's position had to have something to do with his killer's sick motivation, so perhaps one day it will emerge this was some kind of twisted family assassination. 'You think you're such a big deal Dad? I'll show you!' or something like that. This makes it so much worse, that he went with intent to kill his own flesh, his own father, in bed. If found guilty, these are the actions of a very, very bad man.

yeah, no.

The relationship was damaged and this even was bound to happen regardless of him bering an AFL coach or a bank manager.

In the back... Whilst in bed... Asleep? Ah geez :( :( ... Phil was a relatively big guy, I guess this piece of scum would've known he stood no hope if Phil was up and awake.

I'm just at a loss how you could take the life of someone that has given you yours. This is a nightmare. But god only knows how Meredith and Quinn are coping if all I feel like doing is curling up in bed... My thoughts are solely with them and everyone that was closely associated with Walshy.
All you can hope is that was accurate, he was asleep didn't see it coming and the first blow killed him instantly. But how will Meredith cope, she would have seen it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back