RIP Phil Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Can NTUA. As many have said, give it a few weeks and everything will be back to normal between supporter bases.

Lets give a joint tribute at the Showdown by all means. But leave NTUA out of it.

How much s**t have we copped from Crows Fans over NTUA?

This is a great tragedy, but do not forgot who they are.

I'm really enjoying the posters from both clubs who are usually the A listers of port/crows trolling that have put down their arms and have been posting here in pure friendship. It's been fantastic but it's a shame it took this to do it, and a shame it wont last forever.
It won't last a fortnight.

Hmmm. I see this like when the Germans and Allies laid down arms to play soccer at Christmas. Singing NTUA together, for mine, just this once, is fitting. For us it normally represents unity despite the challenges put to us but since we redefine the lyrics to suit our cause I see nothing but positives if on this occasion it represents unity through adversity between two clubs that despite any animosity in the past, come together as one during this time of mutual mourning. Despite the terrible tragedy of this event life goes on for both clubs. I feel NTUA can be redefined on this one occasion to represent that emotion for both clubs.
If NTUA was actually about the PAFC's challenges with the SANFL then it would be ridiculous to sing it together. But it isn't. It's a love song we reinterpret to suit our situation and I see no harm in interpreting it in a different way just once, on this sad occasion.

I'll probably always be someone that barracks for the Crows and whoever is playing the Power - but I just want to say your supporters have shown tremendous empathy and respect to my club the last few days. It's been great to see everything that unites us be so clear the last few days. There are very good people at the Port Adelaide football club.

Hmmm. I see this like when the Germans and Allies laid down arms to play soccer at Christmas. Singing NTUA together, for mine, just this once, is fitting. For us it normally represents unity despite the challenges put to us but since we redefine the lyrics to suit our cause I see nothing but positives if on this occasion it represents unity through adversity between two clubs that despite any animosity in the past, come together as one during this time of mutual mourning. Despite the terrible tragedy of this event life goes on for both clubs. I feel NTUA can be redefined on this one occasion to represent that emotion for both clubs.
If NTUA was actually about the PAFC's challenges with the SANFL then it would be ridiculous to sing it together. But it isn't. It's a love song we reinterpret to suit our situation and I see no harm in interpreting it in a different way just once, on this sad occasion.
Well maybe. Just for one day they may get it.

Dunno man it's gonna take awhile for me to get back to knocking them it seems so trite to even think of football at the moment but I hope they play finals.

I'll be cheering them when they run out onto the ground in the showdown.

I couldn't disagree more.

Why can't this be a turning point? This bond currently shared by both supporter groups in a time of need is a better feeling than the hate that was normally shown. This isn't a time to segregate each other, and I will happily encourage Crows supporters to join us with NTUA.

It's horrible that It's taken such a tradgedy to do this, but why can't it continue in the future? It helps repair that healthy rivalry instead of spiteful hate which it has turned into over the years.
I agree with your sentiments. And also would like to say that much of the spiteful ness from my perspective at least has been caused by the media and their terrible bias. But that aside we should be more respectful of each other and the concept of unifying at the Showdown is a good thing.

Its an interesting discussion re: NTUA. I know there will be certain people from over the fence just itching for Port to play it so they can criticise how insensitive we are in not changing our pre game routine, but personally I think you can find meaning in the words of NTUA that can relate to Phil and his career. But I can understand why some wouldn't really want us to play it with 10k Crow fans who've done nothing but mock it for the last 18 months.

It would be a truly memorable moment though if we can make it work.

Use the first verse of the song for the Phil Walsh montage:

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you
I love your precious heart
I
I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never tear us apart

Then you can just do the normal part of our NTUA version. I'd even go as far as to make the first verse all about Phils time at the Crows, and the second verse about his time with us when it comes to images on the big screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a nice twist of fate, Adelaide are playing west coast followed by port. Both teams heavily effected by the death of Walsh.
He also spent some time at Geelong and Brisbane (the crows opponents this and last week).

From facebook
11412311_1120207871327883_1795181324241606045_n.jpg

Its an interesting discussion re: NTUA. I know there will be certain people from over the fence just itching for Port to play it so they can criticise how insensitive we are in not changing our pre game routine, but personally I think you can find meaning in the words of NTUA that can relate to Phil and his career. But I can understand why some wouldn't really want us to play it with 10k Crow fans who've done nothing but mock it for the last 18 months.

Kinda like we mocked Walshy for the nipple tweaking and crazy analogies? Methinks the motivation behind both might be similar.

Use the first verse of the song for the Phil Walsh montage:

Don't ask me
What you know is true
Don't have to tell you
I love your precious heart
I
I was standing
You were there
Two worlds collided
And they could never tear us apart

Then you can just do the normal part of our NTUA version. I'd even go as far as to make the first verse all about Phils time at the Crows, and the second verse about his time with us when it comes to images on the big screen.

sounds good to me, reading the two verses and thinking of the occasion gave me chills running up my spine

Probably already mentioned but singing "You Will Never Walk Alone" with both teams scarves in the air in unison would be amazing. A neutral song that captures the moment beautifully. It would be on the ovals audio playlist as the Liverpool game is the next day.

I would not be upset though if both fans sing NTUA. Just this once though.

I think NTUA is very suitable in these circumstances. Rather than using NTUA for it's original purpose (not tearing apart the PAFC club), use it on a higher, AFL community level. IMO, having the montage focus on Walsh as a player and his time at the different football clubs would be very powerful and would remind us all how united we are as a football community.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back