Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends. If he's only going to play half the season, is he getting half pay?
Iirc he has a heavily performance based contract due to past injuries, so he'd be getting paid mostly by playing!

Depends. If he's only going to play half the season, is he getting half pay?

Dunno. Ask the people that do the contracts.

Based on his history and the words from the club before and after he arrived, they were setting the bar low with expectations. If anyone thought he'd play 18 games or so were, IMO, just setting themselves up for disappointment. Not like it wasn't announced.

GO Catters

That's a bit different. A number of people were hesitant on those same points. But did you think Varcoe for Clark was a bad trade at the time we did it?

I didn't give it any thought about Varcoe for Clark, I just didn't like us getting Clark full stop.

Having watched him play as a key forward - i think his biggest problem is hes slow - lacks agility - and if hes played as a key forward - what compounds the problem youve got Hawkins at full forward - i think there is only room for one of them - and thats Hawkins

You could put him in the ruck - but that West Coast game (which im trying to forget ) the 1st bounce to start the 3rd qtr - he just looked at Natanui - he didnt even bother to jump !

Hindsight is a great thing - but i think its been a wasted pick - Clark is basically a 1960s type footballer - an Allan Morrow Murray Weideman type - not quick - but they got away with it because there were heavy grounds

To early to call if it has been a success or fail, but we only gave up Varcoe for him, didn't sell the farm to get him to Geelong. Surely we all knew he would cop some injuries, I know I did, but give him time, his fitness IMO is still not 100%, and he is still battling his demons.

I've liked what I've seen, when up and about he is a terrific player.

Not on much coin either. And incentive based.

As someone who has battled with depression for 25 years, I wish the best for Mitch Clark. For people who have no experience of mental illness, it is really difficult to understand what is going on in a person's head, and that is no criticism of those people - even people with depression don't always know why we feel the way we do. The things that work are support, counselling and having a group of people you can turn to. Brad Scott has shown himself to be a compassionate man which is a great start. It takes a lot to tell others what you are feeling, especially in such a macho world as footy. I hope Geelong fans - and others - give Mitch a chance.

As someone who has battled with depression for 25 years, I wish the best for Mitch Clark. For people who have no experience of mental illness, it is really difficult to understand what is going on in a person's head, and that is no criticism of those people - even people with depression don't always know why we feel the way we do. The things that work are support, counselling and having a group of people you can turn to. Brad Scott has shown himself to be a compassionate man which is a great start. It takes a lot to tell others what you are feeling, especially in such a macho world as footy. I hope Geelong fans - and others - give Mitch a chance.

Chris Scott?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just another poor decision amongst many poor decisions at the end of last season

Clark looks like a handy backup player as a 2nd tall or 2nd ruck but not someone who can hold down a spot for a full season (unlike varcoe who has improved greatly this season)

I'd prefer the club persisted with Walker and Kersten instead of making decisions that improve the team slightly in the short term.

just another poor decision amongst many poor decisions at the end of last season

Clark looks like a handy backup player as a 2nd tall or 2nd ruck but not someone who can hold down a spot for a full season (unlike varcoe who has improved greatly this season)

I'd prefer the club persisted with Walker and Kersten instead of making decisions that improve the team slightly in the short term.

Walker & Kersten are dud players been given enough game time & results have been poor

So was Varcoe going to hold down CHF and Ruck?.....because that's what we needed, not another short arse, besides his form was poor and was for years.

Ffs Clark was our leading goal scorer when he got hurt, now because he (like half our list) has had an injury he is a bomb of a trade..

Get a grip people, lets at least wait the whole year before grabbing the pitch forks.

Ffs Clark was our leading goal scorer when he got hurt, now because he (like half our list) has had an injury he is a bomb of a trade..

Get a grip people, lets at least wait the whole year before grabbing the pitch forks.
Even the end of the year is premature a bit. It's also inevitable that some will compare Stanley to Goddard, even though had we had the pick we may not have used it on him anyway!

As for Clark, well yes he is injured but he cost us a player who had been poor for a couple of years and who would soon be FA and filled an area which last season was largely vacant. Still too early to call it a good or bad trade.

Its too early to write Mitch off yet, but there are concerns. The same concerns I had when we targeted him. It seemed like we went after him when Frawley turned us down. I didn't like the feel of it at the time, and of course there are/were injury problems etc. with Mitch.

No doubt Mitch can play, and is worth 2-3 goals a game when he is going well - but how often does he go well?

As for Varcoe, it was time for him to move onto some place new. I was not concerned re his leaving. Good luck to him, but we needed the cap space, and to be getting more from him, so....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back